This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jofa View Post
    So, happy with our club––the way we played all weekend. If we continue to put periods together and games together we’re going to be on the right side of it.”
    I think that is an accurate statement from Coach. If they play the way they did going forward, they will win more than they lose.

Steps forward in a positive direction. Hopefully it continues.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

I think that is an accurate statement from Coach. If they play the way they did going forward, they will win more than they lose.

Steps forward in a positive direction. Hopefully it continues.
      They'd maybe be a hair over .500. They would not compete for the league title nor be an NCAA tournament contender.

They missed numerous quality offensive opportunities, did not cash in on repeated Northeastern defensive miscues, and looked like absolute garbage on the power play. All signs of talented players who are not coached. This improvement strikes me as more of the players getting experience by default from playing games and practicing together. They are not playing with a coherent game plan, they are not executing as a cohesive unit, nor is this coaching staff getting them to raise the bar on their own play. Northeastern is a borderline NCAA tournament team propped up by an excellent goalie, we shouldn't be taking laps because we had two decent efforts that resulted in one point.

The coach absolutely positively must go, there is no other relevant outcome from this season. To root for anything else at this point is rooting for the continued detriment of this program.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
        Commesso was very good against Northeastern. The problem is that Levi was even better.
        How many games has Levi stolen this season? Two this weekend, to start.

Northeastern was a mediocre team, outside of Levi. Their injured forwards surely will make them better. But they were there for the taking, and Levi said no.

Yes, BU has played better the past two weekends. But there should be no such thing as "moral" victories in a program with resources that should be doing so much better.
        Interesting take. BU tends to make every goalie look great. NU had many more grade A scoring chances. Levi made routine saves and didn’t have to make any real tough saves in either game. That speaks to the lack of BU offense and creativity. BU had 3 breakaways and didn’t even get a shot off…shootout attempts were embarrassing that is when they even hit the net or didn’t fumble the puck into the corner without even taking a shot.

Comment

• I agree with the prevailing wisdom out here about Levi. Solid goalie for sure, but in the Friday game at least I don't recall him having to make any bullsh it saves on grade A scoring chances. He's positioned well and doesn't let in any softies, but you ought to expect that out of your goalie.

Also agree on Albie. We're not playing the iron of college hockey right now and the team still has one win, in OT, in the last 8 games? If that's the new standard for success, let's just give Albie a contract extension right now. If not, he still needs to be relieved of his coaching duties as soon as possible.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post

The production just isn’t there from the forwards. Cockerill has 1 point this entire year. So many players underperforming. My hope is Matt brown comes back, lines get set and they can figure it out. Defense has been much better over the last 4 games vs top competition so that’s promising. They are limiting the odd man rushes and breakaways that they were giving up earlier in the season.
            Forwards have scored 25 goals in 14 games (including the 8-goal Merrimack game). Didn't think that the veteran "leaders" in Cockerill, Amonte, Kaufman would have a total of 3 points (1G, 2A) between them in 33 cumulative games played. O'Brien, Tuch and Brown have missed a cumulative total of 26 (out of 42) games so far, and have a total of 6 points (3G, 3A) between them.

Basically, 6 of the forwards that were expected to play regularly and be key contributors have 9 points (4G, 5A) between them in 49 cumulative games.

Comment

Interesting take. BU tends to make every goalie look great. NU had many more grade A scoring chances. Levi made routine saves and didn’t have to make any real tough saves in either game. That speaks to the lack of BU offense and creativity. BU had 3 breakaways and didn’t even get a shot off…shootout attempts were embarrassing that is when they even hit the net or didn’t fumble the puck into the corner without even taking a shot.
              BU has a 7.7% shooting percentage, placing them 47th out of 59 D-1 programs in that category. With that said, it's not clear how much better their record might be if - taking away that 8-goal Merrimack game - they were averaging 1 more goal per game on offense.

Also, not surprisingly, BU is 47th in the country in faceoff percentage, having won only 46.6%.
              Last edited by Friend_of_BU_Hockey; 11-22-2021, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post

BU has a 7.7% shooting percentage, placing them 47th out of 59 D-1 programs in that category. With that said, it's not clear how much better their record might be if - taking away that 8-goal Merrimack game - they were averaging 1 more goal per game on offense.
                Obviously this isn't how it works, but if you added one goal to every game their record would be 6-4-4.

Comment

Obviously this isn't how it works, but if you added one goal to every game their record would be 6-4-4.
                  What would their record be if Commesso and the D gave up one fewer goal each game? When you don't have offense, you'd better have defense. Lowell has demonstrated that. NU won without Colangelo, Riley Hughes (both drafted) and the Jackson twins, all first or second liners. Bu was mostly complete, except for Boucher. What's with Cockerill? He a talented player and terrific skater. Sooner or later he will contribute on the scoresheet. O'Brien looked as good as I've seen and his linemate from Thayer looked even better.

Both goalies were terrific. If the saves looked routine, it probably was due to good positioning and skill on their part. I've tried playing goalie (in practice). I don't ever make fun of goalies. I don't know how they do what they do.

With a bit of luck, our teams will meet again in the Beanpot finals. I'd pay good money to watch that match!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post

What would their record be if Commesso and the D gave up one fewer goal each game? When you don't have offense, you'd better have defense. Lowell has demonstrated that. NU won without Colangelo, Riley Hughes (both drafted) and the Jackson twins, all first or second liners. Bu was mostly complete, except for Boucher. What's with Cockerill? He a talented player and terrific skater. Sooner or later he will contribute on the scoresheet. O'Brien looked as good as I've seen and his linemate from Thayer looked even better.

Both goalies were terrific. If the saves looked routine, it probably was due to good positioning and skill on their part. I've tried playing goalie (in practice). I don't ever make fun of goalies. I don't know how they do what they do.

With a bit of luck, our teams will meet again in the Beanpot finals. I'd pay good money to watch that match!
                    BU was missing Matt Brown as well who I think maybe their best forward. Both games were really evenly played and great college hockey games.

On a side note did anyone attend the Saturday game at NU? I have heard from two people that student section was out of hand with derogatory chants. This typical at NU?
                    Last edited by Lemonade; 11-22-2021, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Ha you could clearly hear the F BU chants on the TV broadcast

Comment

• Also, 3 on 3 OT would be better if there was a way to outlaw the leave the offensive zone intentionally to retain possession philosophy. Every team does it but it can make 3 on 3 extremely boring.

Comment

and if mookie’s auntie had balls she’d be his uncle
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

BU was missing Matt Brown as well who I think maybe their best forward. Both games were really evenly played and great college hockey games.

On a side note did anyone attend the Saturday game at NU? I have heard from two people that student section was out of hand with derogatory chants. This typical at NU?
                            Yes, and it's been that way for 40 years. These chants have actually been in place for decades.

Comment

• Originally posted by RossiRules View Post

Yes, and it's been that way for 40 years. These chants have actually been in place for decades.
                              There was apparently some new cheers that were really low brow if it’s true.

Comment

• I don't know if anyone's caught this yet, but Max Willman has played several games with Philly. Talk about determination and perseverance.
                                if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Working...
                                X