No announcement yet.

BU 2021-22: Albie's Great Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While nine BU commits have been ranked by NHL Central Scouting, it's extremely unlikely all will be picked over the next two days. Tyler Boucher is the only one who could hear his named called in the first round; other projections have him selected in the second round.
    NHL draft preview: Will a Terrier go in the first round?

The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• Fun Fact: there has been a terrier in every Olympics both winter and summer since 1952.

pretty cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
        While nine BU commits have been ranked by NHL Central Scouting, it's extremely unlikely all will be picked over the next two days. Tyler Boucher is the only one who could hear his named called in the first round; other projections have him selected in the second round.
        The answer is Yes! Tyler Boucher taken at #10 overall by Ottawa. He was ranked #25 among N.American skaters by Central Scouting and projected to go at #29 by Bob McKenzie. Most other predictions had him in the second round. Along with the four Wolverines taken earlier in the round, five of the top 10 picks are NCAA for the first time in NHL draft history. Boucher becomess the 21st Terrier to be selected in the first round.

https://***********/TerrierHockey/st...336659968?s=20
        https://www.nhl.com/video/nhl-tonigh...0912/c-8735816
        Last edited by Rogie21; 07-24-2021, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• While it is great to have had so many NHL First Round Draft choices -- and you'd never turn down that level of talent -- the downside is they don't stick around for very long.

Getting players drafted in rounds 2-5 is often better, because they are still prime college talents AND they may be around for more years.

Grzelcyk was a better 'college' player than McAvoy, IMO. And he stayed four years to McAvoy's two. And things worked out for the best for both of them.

Comment

• I was at the Red Sox game last night, and was on Twitter trying to find out what happened to Rodriguez and why he left the game. As i was scrolling thru the game feed, I saw Yankees fans were all abuzz because someone posted that Jack Eichel was there and they couldn’t figure out why. He was sitting close to the Yankees dugout so of course a few thought that might mean he might be headed to the Rangers. Good lord those people were stupid. How they come to that crazy conclusion is beyond me. Anyway, he was there with Brien Diffley and Matt Grzelcyk. I really wanted to tweet that he was sitting with a current member of the Bruins to get them even more worked up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
              While it is great to have had so many NHL First Round Draft choices -- and you'd never turn down that level of talent -- the downside is they don't stick around for very long.

Getting players drafted in rounds 2-5 is often better, because they are still prime college talents AND they may be around for more years.

Grzelcyk was a better 'college' player than McAvoy, IMO. And he stayed four years to McAvoy's two. And things worked out for the best for both of them.
              Well that decides it, we should definitely rescind Boucher's scholarship offer since he was unexpectedly taken in the 1st round last night.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

While nine BU commits have been ranked by NHL Central Scouting, it's extremely unlikely all will be picked over the next two days. Tyler Boucher is the only one who could hear his named called in the first round; other projections have him selected in the second round.
                Only three taken, correct? (Boucher, Lachance, and Gallagher)

Seems like the least in a while, certainly the least guys taken in the 1-4 round range.

I'm not complaining, given all the early departures in the past of the high picks. But I hope it isn't a sign of a drop in recruiting...
                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

While it is great to have had so many NHL First Round Draft choices -- and you'd never turn down that level of talent -- the downside is they don't stick around for very long.

Remeber, For every Grzelcyk, there are 3 macleods, katlasolos and webers (round 2,3,4)

My larger point is that I have never understood the recent comments on this board who want to get away from BU recruiting one and dones. Below are the stats of the one and done 1st round forwards in the last seven seasons.

eichel (71 pts)
                  keller (45 pts)
                  farabee (36 pts)
                  zegras (36 pts)
                  tkchuck (31 pts)
                  bellows (14 pts)

The issue isn't that the staff recruits these one and done players. In my opinion, the issue is the talent evaluation and player development for pretty much every other forward in these classes is terrible.

Comment

• Going to be interesting to see how the lines are this upcoming season. Losing no (productive) forwards and gaining Brown, Boucher, Phillips, and Ty Amonte back BU should have no excuse to have a deep group. Our wingers look deep and should all be able to put up points this year. I don't think we have good centers imo, wouldn't be surprised if they try different people at center (believe they put mastro at center and obrien at wing against SCS for some reason...tournament game give it a try). Listed out our possible wingers and centers (not in order where i think they'll be but just positioned base). Oldest team we've had in a while and I think this is our best looking group we've had in years. Fourth RW spot will be interesting. I like Carrabes because he's coming off almost ppg season in USHL and seems to be the best scoring option of the three. Wasn't a huge Kaufman guy but wouldn't be surprised if he's in there for "leadership purposes" or whatever. I liked Boguslavsky this year and he showed great promise of being a fourth liner who can produce somewhat and play PK. Either way you all can tell I'm bored because I made this and am looking forward to the season. Will probably dress 17 forwards this season unless defenseman are injured. Unrelated: Heard Ty Amonte is switching his jersey # to 33, his brother is probably going to be the new #3. Probably wants a fresh start, don't blame him. I believe in that kinda crap so hopefully he's ready to go! Feel free to debate with any of this, I'm bored.

LW
                    Tuch
                    Mastrosimone
                    Brown
                    Cockerill

C
                    O'brien
                    Skoog
                    Zabaneh
                    Ty Amonte

RW
                    Boucher
                    Peterson
                    Phillips
                    Carrabes/Kaufman/Boguslavsky

Bench
                    Carrabes/Kaufman/Boguslavsky
                    Stevens
                    Armstrong
                    Tristan Amonte

What I'm Hoping For
                    - Our rising sophmores take a big step (tuch, peterson, Zabaneh...just score)
                    - Phillips and Mastro step up (granted Phillips was hurt all year)
                    - Brown makes immediate impact
                    - We win games while outshooting our opponents
                    - Our centers are good (faceoffs, points)
                    - Cockerill puts up as many points as he did as a freshman (20)
                    - Ty Amonte doesn't get hurt
                    - Boucher produces like a 10th overall pick (basically just don't be a bellows) (produce/hit guys) (don't have zegras 1 and done attitude)
                    - Pandolfo takes over and leads the terriers to the promise land
                    Last edited by hydrant; 07-25-2021, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike799 View Post
                      My larger point is that I have never understood the recent comments on this board who want to get away from BU recruiting one and dones. Below are the stats of the one and done 1st round forwards in the last seven seasons.
                      I don't believe anyone has suggested getting away from recruiting potentially "One & Dones." Of course you take that high end talented, if you can attract it. You'd be crazy not to.

It is great to have had 11 NHL First Round Draft Picks in the last decade. And they have resulted in no NCAA titles, two Hockey East titles and one Beanpot.

The strongest teams are the ones supplemented by strong role players and excellent depth.

Last year's BU team was the first in several years to have decent to good third and fourth line depth. Terriers should feel confident heading into 2021-22. The pressure is squarely on Albie.

Comment

I don't believe anyone has suggested getting away from recruiting potentially "One & Dones." Of course you take that high end talented, if you can attract it. You'd be crazy not to.

It is great to have had 11 NHL First Round Draft Picks in the last decade. And they have resulted in no NCAA titles, two Hockey East titles and one Beanpot.

The strongest teams are the ones supplemented by strong role players and excellent depth.

Last year's BU team was the first in several years to have decent to good third and fourth line depth. Terriers should feel confident heading into 2021-22. The pressure is squarely on Albie.
                        Glad to see you added "potentially" to the one-and-done descriptor. Virtually all the one-and-done and other very high end guys were recruited when they were 15 or 16 (for the NTDP guys, prior to their entering that program). Among them, only Eichel could logically be anticipated to be a likely one-and-done at the time they committed. Keller was ID'd as an exceptional talent early on, but couldn't be assumed to be a one-and-done when BU outdueled UND for him.

Originally posted by Mike799 View Post
                        The issue isn't that the staff recruits these one and done players. In my opinion, the issue is the talent evaluation and player development for pretty much every other forward in these classes is terrible.
                        With the exception of the 2018 class led by Farabee, I wouldn't agree with the "talent evaluation" part of that statement; player development, on the other hand, has been disappointing in more than a few cases, pretty good in others, with several recent ones still to be determined.

20-21 Tuch, Commesso, Peterson, Webber, Zabaneh, Jarman*
                        19-20 Zegras, Vlasic, McCarthy, Mastrosimone, Philips, Fensore, Boguslavsky, Stevens, Abel*, Skoog*
                        18-19 Farabee Wise Quercia DeBoer, Blixt, Chermeta, Purpura
                        17-18 Tkachuk Bowers, Cockerill, Amonte, Crotty, Farrance, Kotkansalo
                        16-17 Keller/Bellows Fabbro, Oettinger, Harper, Krys, Curry
                        15-16 McAvoy (2 yrs) Greenway, JFK, Carpenter
                        14-15 Eichel, Hickey, MacLeod, DIffley, Phelps, Olsson, Greer
                        * Mid-year add

Comment

• The nhl draft is a crapshoot (have time to kill? Go click on draft years at hockeydb.com and scroll through and count all the first rounders who never reach the nhl, let alone 2-3-4 rounders). Why wouldn’t anyone be surprised recruiting kids when they are 5 yrs at times away from showing up on campus as a similar crapshoot?
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Luke Tuch scored his 2nd goal (0:32 of the video) of the World Junior Summer Showcase. Has four points, plays on first PP unit. Some Commesso saves, too. Stopped 27 of 29 vs. Sweden.
                            https://***********/usahockey/status...249115137?s=20

Comment

Luke Tuch scored his 2nd goal (0:32 of the video) of the World Junior Summer Showcase. Has four points, plays on first PP unit. Some Commesso saves, too. Stopped 27 of 29 vs. Sweden.
                              https://***********/usahockey/status...249115137?s=20
                              I wouldn't be surprised to see Tuch have a breakout season. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Pandolfo have a very positive impact on player development, esp. amongst the forwards.

Comment

• Per an email from the BU Ticket office, face coverings will be required to attend games at Agganis this year. Not surprising and I bet BU won't be the only one to announce such a thing, but who knows. If anything, I'm actually partially surprised they didn't simply just say proof of vaccination is required for entry. (See NYC for shows etc starting in September)

Comment

Working...
                                X