This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post

Pandolfo and Sacco are not going to leave the Bruins to be Albie's assistant.
    So this didn't age well :-)

Although I will fully admit I was in 100% agreement with you when posted. Stranger things have happened I guess.

Comment

• I find it hard to believe this was Albie's decision. If they were allowing him to hire and fire assistant coaches shouldn't they have also given him a contract extension? Otherwise he's entering year 4 of a 5 year deal and it's doubtful he coaches as a lame duck after this upcoming season. That means he either wins some serious hardware or he's out with Pando taking over after working a year as an assistant. Works for me and it's nice to see that mediocrity isn't acceptable for the hockey program.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

So this didn't age well :-)

Although I will fully admit I was in 100% agreement with you when posted. Stranger things have happened I guess.
        I am still very surprised.
        Maybe Pandolfo wanted a change? Maybe he heard the call (plea) from his alma mater?
        Having a "heir apparent" on staff is not an easy thing (unless you are Jerry York and 123 years old, or Madigan heading upstairs and had already Keefe doing much of the on-ice work and patiently waiting), so we all may be jumping to an unhelpful conclusion.
        I still hold that there is no backroom deal with Pandolfo, and he is coming back to help BU (and Albie) win games and titles.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

Who knows on his salary at BU vs Bruins, but don't forget, he had a 15ish year NHL career and probably could never have to work again (if he was at all smart with his finances) so money may not be the driving factor here.
          With more than 10 full seasons in the NHL, Pandolfo is set to receive the maximum annual pension of $255,000 at age 62. However, players can take a reduced amount at age 45 and Pando is now 46. So, even if his BU salary is less than the Bruins salary, he should be in very good shape.

In yesterday’s media availability, he made it clear that with two younger children, “family balance” was an important decision factor. Also made the point that he wanted to help Albie with "fresh ideas."

Have to believe two of the three staff moves would’ve taken place even if Pearl hadn’t left (or was not invited back—the more likely case). There was no DHO last year due to the hiring freeze, which is now lifted. Bobby Goepfert was a stop-gap fill-in when Brian Ecklund was hired by AHL Binghamton just prior to last season. The hiring of Daccord, whose Stop It Goaltending company is the official Hockey East goal tending consultant, was described to me as “huge.”

Having an experienced coach in Doug Friedman as DHO means that when one assistant is out recruiting, Albie will have a second guy at practices and behind the bench in games. Let’s hope Friedman imparts some sandpaper to many of the Terriers.
          Last edited by Rogie21; 07-03-2021, 03:03 PM.
          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post

Having an experienced coach in Doug Friedman as DHO means that when one assistant is out recruiting, Albie will have a second guy at practices and behind the bench in games. Let’s hope Friedman imparts some sandpaper to many of the Terriers.[/SIZE]
            Let's hope that "good enough isn't good enough" and that there's a fear factor to returning to the bench after a "meh" shift.

if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Here’s my take on the Pandolfo hire. He’s from Massachusetts’s. He has young kids. He has NHL experience as a player and as an AC. And where do folks think the Bruins are headed? They have no high level draft picks. They won’t win the cup with what they have. The opportunity has arrived to stay around Boston, help players prepare for the pros like Quinn did, and return to his alma mater, a college dream job. Does he make the move now or wait until the Bruins fade into the sunset and he gets fired and then likely have to move to get whatever job is available at the time perhaps in Alberta or something. It makes a lot of sense to me. BU will be much better with him as AC or HC

Comment

I am still very surprised.
                Maybe Pandolfo wanted a change? Maybe he heard the call (plea) from his alma mater?
                Having a "heir apparent" on staff is not an easy thing (unless you are Jerry York and 123 years old, or Madigan heading upstairs and had already Keefe doing much of the on-ice work and patiently waiting), so we all may be jumping to an unhelpful conclusion.
                I still hold that there is no backroom deal with Pandolfo, and he is coming back to help BU (and Albie) win games and titles.
                That’s what is called delusional ...

Comment

• Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                  Here’s my take on the Pandolfo hire. He’s from Massachusetts’s. He has young kids. He has NHL experience as a player and as an AC. And where do folks think the Bruins are headed? They have no high level draft picks. They won’t win the cup with what they have. The opportunity has arrived to stay around Boston, help players prepare for the pros like Quinn did, and return to his alma mater, a college dream job. Does he make the move now or wait until the Bruins fade into the sunset and he gets fired and then likely have to move to get whatever job is available at the time perhaps in Alberta or something. It makes a lot of sense to me. BU will be much better with him as AC or HC
                  He’s wanted this job for many years ... he would have gotten the job over albie had he had his degree. This did not just emerge out of the blue

Comment

• Originally posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post

He’s wanted this job for many years ... he would have gotten the job over albie had he had his degree. This did not just emerge out of the blue
                    And you know this, how?

Albie was the favorite at the time.

Comment

And you know this, how?

Because Pandolfo did not have a degree

Comment

My recollection is that Albie was the favorite among the players at the time. In hindsight, that should have been a red flag. Maybe too much of a players coach and not enough accountability. So having a guy like Friedman around is a good call.

Comment

Because Pandolfo did not have a degree
                          That’s not what he asked. He asked how you knew the job would have been his if he had his degree.

To change the subject…I was on Twitter and saw on Hockey East’s feed they’re doing this contest thingie for best plays of this past season and one of them is a play by Matt Brown and it made me wonder where things are with Matt Brown. Is he officially a Terrier or not?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

That’s not what he asked. He asked how you knew the job would have been his if he had his degree.

To change the subject…I was on Twitter and saw on Hockey East’s feed they’re doing this contest thingie for best plays of this past season and one of them is a play by Matt Brown and it made me wonder where things are with Matt Brown. Is he officially a Terrier or not?
                            Oh of course I’ll just reveal how I know ... that makes as much sense as believing Albie invited pandolfo in .. seriously clueless ... and Paul Pearl magically left because ? ? ... and how many players entered the transfer portal ? Seriously ? Does it have to smack you in the face great guy great recruiter wanted him to succeed but just not a good head coach on many levels

Comment

• Originally posted by Section 6, Row S View Post
                              My recollection is that Albie was the favorite among the players at the time. In hindsight, that should have been a red flag. Maybe too much of a players coach and not enough accountability. So having a guy like Friedman around is a good call.
                              Much was made that the players were very happy with Albie getting the gig. There was video of his entrance to the locker room, etc. But 1) what are we going to hear - they didn't want him? This could be considered media spin 101, and 2) that doesn't mean that once he became head coach, they weren't thrilled.

Plus, given that the other candidate was Rick Bennett, and what I have heard about his style, I am not surprised the players were happy with Albie, (and I'm still glad they didn't go with Bennett).
                              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Oh of course I’ll just reveal how I know ... that makes as much sense as believing Albie invited pandolfo in .. seriously clueless ... and Paul Pearl magically left because ? ? ... and how many players entered the transfer portal ? Seriously ? Does it have to smack you in the face great guy great recruiter wanted him to succeed but just not a good head coach on many levels
                                He asked you a question. Your response was not an answer to that question. I clarified that for you. I did not demand to also know how you knew so you don't have to be all snarky to me. If you really do know that was the case, more power to you. If you are just making an educated guess, then you are just making an educated guess like anyone else here. Since you seem to be all knowing and have the inside track on all things Terrier Hockey, can you answer my question about Matt Brown. It's been all quiet on that front.

Comment

Working...
                                X