BU 2021-22: Albie's Great Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hydrant View Post
    It will be Pandolfo's first ever experience coaching at the college level. So maybe this is a good learning year for him versus just hopping in and becoming the head coaching next year and leaving directly from the Bruins.
    It definitely is but what is Albie thinking today? He loves BU that much to the point he's fine with helping to groom the guy who will take his job?

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

It definitely is but what is Albie thinking today? He loves BU that much to the point he's fine with helping to groom the guy who will take his job?
      This decision had to be out of his power, especially just to get Pandolfo here would've been the higher ups. Albie should be uncomfortable/somewhat ****ed, or maybe this means hes got a job for the next couple years (if pandolfo is the HF and Albie stays associate). No idea what goes on in albies head

Comment

• Wow ... even more bizarre than the Umile/Souza handoff a few years ago. That's saying something.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Hypothetically, if Pandolfo had already completed his degree when the BU HC job was open in 2018, would the BU administration have considered him an even stronger candidate at the time than Albie? By numerous accounts it appears the primary reason why BU didn't further advance with Pandolfo's candidacy at the time was b/c he was a few credits short of earning his degree.

3 years later, with additional coaching experience under his belt for one of the NHL's best franchises and having earned his degree, one can argue that Pandolfo "checks all the boxes" to join the BU coaching staff. But it'll be quite interesting to say the very least to see how this transpires.

Also, if the Bruins had advanced to the Cup Finals, what would BU have done?

Comment

• I just got the push notification from CHN. This appears to be official. (The CHN story says he's a native of Winchester, MA. He's a native of Burlington MA.)

It's going to be a very interesting year on the right end of Comm Ave. I for one, can't wait. Fire up the popcorn!!

BU Hockey: Palace Intrigue
            It Happened!!!!

Comment

• I hope this is official. I just remember his senior year and how he brought Travis' jersey into the handshake line after every game.

Comment

• Ha!

https://***********/Buccigross/statu...964882432?s=20
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Maybe I'm naive, but I think it's possible that Albie realizes that the Peter Principle is a real thing, he's an excellent recruiter, just doesn't have the right skill set to be a HC. He loves BU, so whether he decided, or BU decided, I think this may not be a "why would Albie agree to that?" scenario. Maybe he is fine being an assistant, and perhaps even at BU if Jay really does become HC and wants to keep him on.

FWIW, a parent of player said to me at the Beanpot in Albie's first season: "He has no f-in clue what he is doing, no clue. It's a complete joke". Not knowing that parent prior to that exchange, I didn't want to put too much stock in one statement, thinking it could just be frustration over playing time. But I have sort of wondered if a change might come quicker than we all thought going into that first season.

Anyway, I think it's a great move either way for BU.
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• While this is a fantastic move for BU, if the decision was made by someone other than Albie, Albie cannot continue as HC. The minute a HC cannot be trusted to hire their staff, the HC cannot be HC anymore.

Similarly, if this hire is some kind of "get experience" period for JP, that's an enormous mistake by BU. Make the move now, don't wait and leave things in limbo.
                    Last edited by brassbonanza; 07-01-2021, 08:01 PM.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• In terms of his performance as a Terrier, both on and off the ice, Pandolfo was top notch. And he was a valued contributor on a strong Devils team for over a decade. Just wondering what his rep is as a Bruins assistant. Any insight from the Boston folks would be appreciated.

Comment

• Lots of speculation going on in here.

Ironically the most likely scenario has barely been mentioned: Albie brought Pandolfo in because he thinks he will be a good addition to the staff and will help them win games.

Comment

• But why would Pandolfo leave the Bruins to be Albie's assistant? Are there other examples of NHL assistants leaving to be college assistants? Now, perhaps the Bruins wanted to move on from him. I suppose that is possible but who knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                            Lots of speculation going on in here.

Ironically the most likely scenario has barely been mentioned: Albie brought Pandolfo in because he thinks he will be a good addition to the staff and will help them win games.
                            You assume speculation and your scenario is the least likely.. yes pandolfo left the bruins to be Albie’s assistant .. makes perfect sense .. seriously !? Previous poster was right about what he heard from parents and that’s been general sentiment . This was a way to
                            have a gracious exit ..and for pandolfo to be an “assistant “ and yes maybe he will stay in as an assistant
                            no chance he is getting a HC shot anytime soon

He’s a great guy great recruiter but just wasn’t HC material

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              But why would Pandolfo leave the Bruins to be Albie's assistant? Are there other examples of NHL assistants leaving to be college assistants? Now, perhaps the Bruins wanted to move on from him. I suppose that is possible but who knows.
                              Because he knows he’s going to be th next head coach it’s really not that complicated

Comment

• Originally posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post
                                Because he knows he’s going to be th next head coach it’s really not that complicated
                                Lol. I was asking the other guy. I already stated I think that's why he took the job. I do admit that I have no idea how much an NHL assistant makes or what BU is paying him. Is it possible he's actually getting a raise by taking BU job? Albie on the cheap, maybe they gave Pandolfo "crazy" money to come aboard.

Comment

Working...
                                X