X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #BringBackPeterGunn

Comment

• BU picked a great weekend to not have a Friday/Saturday game! Hoping roads will be cleared in time to get to Sunday’s 3:00pm matinee.

#snowmageddon

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post

With BU's resources, mediocre is the very least this team should ever be.

The Terriers may finish with a winning record this year, and might win a watered-down Beanpot. That could buy Albie more time, even though a lot of BU hockey fans don't think he can get the most for the program.

As for "generational players," Eichel heads the list in this decade. But Keller, McEvoy and Zegras aren't far off.
        Agree. McAvoy (2 years), Keller (1 year), and Zegras (1 year) weren't far off as a whole but when you have one-and-dones or even two-and-dones you really will have to have them be generational in their short time to make a difference; Eichel was two steps ahead of those three guys in terms of impact and he got them to an NCAA Final.

I feel like Eichel's effort level while here was also a couple of levels higher than some of the other one/two-and-dones and he set the tone for the entire team whereas some of the others weren't and it cascaded down the lineup.

At the end of the day, you have to have 20 guys busting their butts all game long and I think that's been missing in BU hockey for about 10 years now. I'm rambling now, so will put down the phone, lol.

Comment

• They added a defenseman? Now?

https://goterriers.com/news/2022/1/2...to-roster.aspx

It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
            With Boucher and Doyle leaving it doesn't hurt to add someone for depth. Similar situation with Skoog(but he was immediate need) 19-20. He probably won't play this season, but just to add depth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terrier86 View Post
              I feel like Eichel's effort level while here was also a couple of levels higher than some of the other one/two-and-dones and he set the tone for the entire team whereas some of the others weren't and it cascaded down the lineup.
              In reverse chronological order (starting with most recent), here are the 1-and-done / 2-and-done players in the post Jack Parker era. I've excluded players who transferred to other programs, left for Major Juniors or USHL/BCHL, only listed players who left BU after their Freshman or Sophomore year to sign NHL contracts.

2021-2022: Boucher (0.5-and-done)
              2020-2021: None
              2019-2020: Zegras (1)
              2018-2019: Farabee (1); Bowers (2)
              2017-2018: Tkachuk (1)
              2016-2017: Keller (1); McAvoy (2); JFK (2)
              2015-2016: None
              2014-2015: Eichel (1)
              2013-2014: None

Out of these players, the players whom I feel made the correct decision (based on their NHL success to date) are Eichel, McAvoy, Keller, Tkachuk, Farabee, Zegras. It's clear JFK and Bowers didn't make the right hockey decision; it remains to be seen for Boucher.

In terms of level of impact (on and off-ice) and engagement with the BU Hockey program during and after their time at BU, I strongly feel Eichel and McAvoy are BU guys thru and thru. I feel Keller, Tkachuk and Zegras were very engaged during their respective 1-year stints at BU, but have pretty much left BU in the rear view mirror. Metaphorically, Farabee never had more than 1 skate on the ice for BU during his time here.

As for JFK, despite leaving after 2 years, he graduated from BU in 2020. I believe Bowers has also continued his studies towards completing his degree at BU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post

In reverse chronological order (starting with most recent), here are the 1-and-done / 2-and-done players in the post Jack Parker era. I've excluded players who transferred to other programs, left for Major Juniors or USHL/BCHL, only listed players who left BU after their Freshman or Sophomore year to sign NHL contracts.

2021-2022: Boucher (0.5-and-done)
                2020-2021: None
                2019-2020: Zegras (1)
                2018-2019: Farabee (1); Bowers (2)
                2017-2018: Tkachuk (1)
                2016-2017: Keller (1); McAvoy (2); JFK (2)
                2015-2016: None
                2014-2015: Eichel (1)
                2013-2014: None

Out of these players, the players whom I feel made the correct decision (based on their NHL success to date) are Eichel, McAvoy, Keller, Tkachuk, Farabee, Zegras. It's clear JFK and Bowers didn't make the right hockey decision; it remains to be seen for Boucher.

In terms of level of impact (on and off-ice) and engagement with the BU Hockey program during and after their time at BU, I strongly feel Eichel and McAvoy are BU guys thru and thru. I feel Keller, Tkachuk and Zegras were very engaged during their respective 1-year stints at BU, but have pretty much left BU in the rear view mirror. Metaphorically, Farabee never had more than 1 skate on the ice for BU during his time here.

As for JFK, despite leaving after 2 years, he graduated from BU in 2020. I believe Bowers has also continued his studies towards completing his degree at BU.

Regarding Zegras. I'm sure you all saw his goal last night. *Eye Bulge* - My God is this kid fun. We really got cheated out of seeing what he might have done in the post season in 2020. ****ing COVID.
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                  Depth guy to replace Braden Doyle, also as a backup if McCarthy's injury goes longer than expected.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• First of all, I hate to say it, but I don't think we have to worry about any One-and Done recruits for awhile, and I mean that in a negative way. It seems to me the recruiting has been slipping. Lane Hutson looks like he could turn into a Farrance-type, and if he were bigger, he would likely be ranked higher by the NHL. But our USNTDP guys otherwise look to be less impactful. Maybe I'll be proven wrong and Wilmer, Legault, etc. will be major impact players. We know Albie was a great recruiter, but it's hard to recruit if the program seems headed in the wrong direction.

On our previous guys, obviously Eichel was in a league of his own. Never (in my time watching) has a player looked like such a lock to step right into the NHL. Amonte was close, but not quite at the same level. I feel that all the others (Keller, Tkachuk, Farabee, Zegras) could have benefited from another year on Comm Ave. Are they in the NHL? Sure. But I see a lot of inconsistency in their games in their first couple years (primarily Keller and Farabee). Zegras is emerging into a special player, and Tkachuk plays a game that doesn't focus on just getting points.

And I wouldn't lump Boucher into the "left for the NHL" group. He signed a contract, but I'm pretty sure that has happened before when guys decide to go the MJ route from college.

I see the new guy has Boucher's number (at least he was wearing it in the photo that was released). Calling Sean Pickett: when was the last time two guys wore the same number in the same season? I realize that if he doesn't actually play in a game, it might not qualify.
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• I don’t get the slam on Farabee he had the exact same stat line as Zegras though not quite as flashy or charismatic. I do like how Zegras went out in that referee screwing in the Beanpot final. Bowers was a head scratcher he was trending as a nice 4 yr player.

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                        First of all, I hate to say it, but I don't think we have to worry about any One-and Done recruits for awhile, and I mean that in a negative way. It seems to me the recruiting has been slipping. Lane Hutson looks like he could turn into a Farrance-type, and if he were bigger, he would likely be ranked higher by the NHL. But our USNTDP guys otherwise look to be less impactful. Maybe I'll be proven wrong and Wilmer, Legault, etc. will be major impact players. We know Albie was a great recruiter, but it's hard to recruit if the program seems headed in the wrong direction.

On our previous guys, obviously Eichel was in a league of his own. Never (in my time watching) has a player looked like such a lock to step right into the NHL. Amonte was close, but not quite at the same level. I feel that all the others (Keller, Tkachuk, Farabee, Zegras) could have benefited from another year on Comm Ave. Are they in the NHL? Sure. But I see a lot of inconsistency in their games in their first couple years (primarily Keller and Farabee). Zegras is emerging into a special player, and Tkachuk plays a game that doesn't focus on just getting points.

And I wouldn't lump Boucher into the "left for the NHL" group. He signed a contract, but I'm pretty sure that has happened before when guys decide to go the MJ route from college.

I see the new guy has Boucher's number (at least he was wearing it in the photo that was released). Calling Sean Pickett: when was the last time two guys wore the same number in the same season? I realize that if he doesn't actually play in a game, it might not qualify.
                        The recruitment of Boucher was an EPIC failure. About a month or so in, it was apparent that his days were numbered. That would not happen if the staff had really good dialogue with the player BEFORE his commitment/stepping onto campus. That has to rest on Albie's shoulders.

In the age of the transfer portal, a coaching staff has to create a "family" atmosphere of tough love, one for all/all for one, etc. so that when a player hits a rough spot (and they all will - especially in their freshman year) they won't turn tail and run away.

Everything has changed with the new portal rules, so we're going to need a very wise head coach and staff to navigate these realities. I'm less convinced than ever that Albie can be that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terrier86 View Post

The recruitment of Boucher was an EPIC failure. About a month or so in, it was apparent that his days were numbered. That would not happen if the staff had really good dialogue with the player BEFORE his commitment/stepping onto campus. That has to rest on Albie's shoulders.

In the age of the transfer portal, a coaching staff has to create a "family" atmosphere of tough love, one for all/all for one, etc. so that when a player hits a rough spot (and they all will - especially in their freshman year) they won't turn tail and run away.

Everything has changed with the new portal rules, so we're going to need a very wise head coach and staff to navigate these realities. I'm less convinced than ever that Albie can be that.
                          Great post. I agree 100% with all of this.
                          It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Good points by defkit on one-and-dones. If you create a solid team atmosphere (See Terrier86's post above) than a high-end one-and-done can be a key cog in a Frozen Four level team.
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                              I believe that the last time two players had the same number was during the 1972-73 season when Joe Robillard and John Bresnehan both wore #30 concurrently.

My research on player numbers before WWII is incomplete, but for those players I have found numbers for #1 was reserved for goalies and no goalie wore another number. Starting in 1946 goalies were assigned numbers #1 and #2 up until 1964. From 1964 to 1969 every goalie was assigned #1 (in 1964-65 4 goalies wore #1 concurrently), beginning in 1969 goalies were assigned #1 and #30 and beginning in 1973 each goalie was assigned their own number.

This bring up another oddity: which player used 2 different numbers for home and away jerseys for a season? Bonus points if you know what numbers he wore.

Sean
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                                I don’t get the slam on Farabee he had the exact same stat line as Zegras though not quite as flashy or charismatic. I do like how Zegras went out in that referee screwing in the Beanpot final. Bowers was a head scratcher he was trending as a nice 4 yr player.
                                Let's just stay instead of burning the boats, Farabee reportedly burnt bridges on his way out of BU. It has nothing to do with his productivity or impact on the ice.

I think if DQ had remained at BU, there may have been a different outcome with Farabee and his time/experience at BU. I also think Tkachuk may have opted to return for a 2nd year at BU and Bowers' Sophomore year would've transpired differently (more like his Freshman year) if DQ hadn't left.

Comment

Working...
                                X