This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post

If Brown stopped allowing spectators would anyone notice?

A real shame because Meehan Auditorium is nice old arena to watch a game. And amazing to know that an NCAA Frozen Four was once held there.

We ECAC team fans like to call it the "Mausoleum". Probably the quietest arena in the conference even in normal years.

Heck, at one time, even Bob Marley had a concert there.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

are we not already only allowing vaccinated spectators into the building? should be fine then.
      I know we all have opinions, but in mine, this is more than enough. This more easily spread variant is less severe. It seems honestly at this point, that everyone is going to catch it. I know 5 people personally that have had it in the last few days. That is nothing like a year ago when it was such a big deal if someone got it. It seems we can't stop this one from spreading so I feel like we need to stop turning our world upside down for it. If someone has either decided to to get vaxed, or just really wants to be sure they don't catch it, then let them take their own precautions.

Frustrated with what is going on in Red Deer...
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
        Back in Feb 2020 defkit posted this in the BU 2019-20 threadespite not asking me, I did research every DI game that season and my researched showed no difference in results. I just completed compiling game information for this season and I'm current working on last season. While there was only a minor variance for 2019-20, there is a statistically significant variance this season to date, as well as last season for the games I've looked at so far (about half the games). Here are the stats:

Season When First Goal <=5 Minutes When First Goal >5 Minutes
        GMS W L T Pct. GMS W L T Pct.
        2019-20 318 200 74 44 0.698 727 474 176 77 0.705
        2020-21 99 59 35 5 0.621 222 154 47 21 0.741
        2021-22 151 89 52 10 0.623 352 241 85 26 0.722

I don't know if the last two seasons mark a change, or if the 2019-20 season was an abnormality. I plan to compile the first goal information for other seasons, but it will be a while as I need to compile other additional information for earlier seasons as well.

Note that the first goal was scored in the first 5 minutes in about 30% of the games I've reviewed so far. The earliest first goal was at 9 seconds and the latest first goal was at 64:59 (of a regulation game),both in 2019-20.

Sean
        Wow - I totally forgot about this. Interesting findings so far.

Comment

If Brown stopped allowing spectators would anyone notice?

A real shame because Meehan Auditorium is nice old arena to watch a game. And amazing to know that an NCAA Frozen Four was once held there.
          Older, but avid, college hockey fans will recall that Brown hosted a Christmas tournament for a few seasons during the late 1970's. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I recall that the tournament ran over three evenings.
          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Boucher, Charlie Coyle, AJ Greer ... power forwards who really struggled offensively in college hockey.

Boucher is still all physical potential, with a long long way to go. He was drafted much higher than he was expected to go. That added what turned out to be unrealistic expectations. He doesn't have the finesse, or apparently the discipline (based on his penalties), to produce the offense that was expected.
            I don't think Coyle should be grouped with Boucher and Greer. During his season and a half at BU, the young Coyle was, essentially, the same type of player he is now, in microcosm. He wasn't a finesse player at BU, he hasn't been a finesse player in the NHL. He's a possession player who works the corners and behind the net, and wins far more than his share of the one of one scrums for control of the puck. He's most productive when he's aligned with highly skilled players. My memory of him while he was at BU was as a grinder and puck cycler.
            if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post

I know we all have opinions, but in mine, this is more than enough. This more easily spread variant is less severe. It seems honestly at this point, that everyone is going to catch it. I know 5 people personally that have had it in the last few days. That is nothing like a year ago when it was such a big deal if someone got it. It seems we can't stop this one from spreading so I feel like we need to stop turning our world upside down for it. If someone has either decided to to get vaxed, or just really wants to be sure they don't catch it, then let them take their own precautions.

Frustrated with what is going on in Red Deer...
              Bravo, I couldn't agree more.

Comment

• And now, WJC cancelled. Poor Vinny/Ashton - one of them was going to get a start against Brown. (Likely still will, but my first thought was "Get Commesso on a flight!", then jokingly "Can we get our guys back before Brown gets theirs?" :-)

Comment

• I’m with defkit. Stop the cancellations. Let me risk assess for myself. I’m willing to sit in Agganis with a mask on and watch hockey.
                  It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                    And now, WJC cancelled. Poor Vinny/Ashton - one of them was going to get a start against Brown. (Likely still will, but my first thought was "Get Commesso on a flight!", then jokingly "Can we get our guys back before Brown gets theirs?" :-)
                    So, will BU or HE finish the season? My guess is no, but I'm in a negative frame of mind. The way things are going, will they play the game vs. Brown?
                    Last edited by buoldtimer; 12-29-2021, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post

So, will BU or HE finish the season? My guess is no, but I'm in a negative frame of mind. The way things are going, will they play the game vs. Brown?
                      I'm hopeful that with what the pros have done (dial back testing of asymptomatic vaccinated players) and dropping the quarantining days from 10 to 5, that we are moving in the direction of "learning to live with it" and not being hyper-sensitive to a single case. I know college is different, since there is more of a responsibility for the student athletes. On the other hand, these students aren't at home, so passing it to an elderly person is less likely. But at least with this variant, it really should be considered more like a bad cold or regular flu (in my opinion). I don't know if Delta is still floating around (I think a high % of the hospitalizations are still Delta). Have the players sign a waiver?

My guess is the Brown game gets cancelled (the Ivies seem to be over conservative), but beyond that, most games happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                        Odds on BU going to no spectators before the next home game? 50/50?
                        Two years in and we're gonna go back to this? LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                          I’m with defkit. Stop the cancellations. Let me risk assess for myself. I’m willing to sit in Agganis with a mask on and watch hockey.
                          Don't you know saying this makes you selfish and a bad person?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                            I’m with defkit. Stop the cancellations. Let me risk assess for myself. I’m willing to sit in Agganis with a mask on and watch hockey.
                            But Scarlett …..

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

Two years in and we're gonna go back to this? LOL
                              Well NU has gone to no fans, BC just pulled out of their bowl game for a second year in a row and postponed professional games have become commonplace - so yeah, never thought we would still be here 2 years later but given where we are I’d say there is a not small chance that we see other disruptions to the schedule and procedures.

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post

Older, but avid, college hockey fans will recall that Brown hosted a Christmas tournament for a few seasons during the late 1970's. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I recall that the tournament ran over three evenings.
                                I remember seeing Brett Hull playing for Minnesota Duluth in that Brown tournament. It was always a good take.

Comment

Working...
                                X