No announcement yet.

BU 2021-22: Albie's Great Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of availability of top players shouldn't have anything to do with lack of discipline, inability to connect on passes, etc. Was there any reason given for Cockerill and (older) Amonte not dressing on Saturday?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      Lack of availability of top players shouldn't have anything to do with lack of discipline, inability to connect on passes, etc. Was there any reason given for Cockerill and (older) Amonte not dressing on Saturday?
      Preaching to the choir but keep in mind they are 3rd/4th line players getting a ton of time - some wouldn't even be dressing. There is a reason why they are 3rd/4th liners. I have to assume Cockerill and Amonte are injured. I still then need to promote Pandolfo to head coach - get healthy and see what he can do. Thats my 2 cents. Its still real early.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post

You are 100% accurate. BU is struggling to score and that is because they are missing their best offensive players. Essentially, they are missing their entire top line and most of their 2nd line. Defense and goaltending isnt the problem - its putting the puck in the net. They need to get healthy before anyone can determine what this team is capable of. Hockey East parity is at an all time high - if you take any teams top 2 lines off the ice they aren't winning any games either.
        With everyone healthy (minus Ty Amonte) we still went 2-2 against SHU and Uconn with 3/4 of those games putting up 2 or less goals.

Comment

• Originally posted by hydrant View Post

With everyone healthy (minus Ty Amonte) we still went 2-2 against SHU and Uconn with 3/4 of those games putting up 2 or less goals.
          I don't think they have played a game with their entire roster healthy. Amonte was out then. Then Tuch got hurt. They are no doubt still struggling to score and COACHING should adjust. They have great goaltending so MAYBE focus on playing good defense instead of flying the zone and trying to score on the fact break all the time? Play conservative, sound defense and try to win 2-1 instead of 8-6? How many breakaways, odd man rushes and just leaving guys WIDE open out front have we seen already?
          Last edited by Lemonade; 11-01-2021, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• My guess is Cockerill and Amonte sat because Albie needs to send a message - Cockerill hasn't done much. Where is the guy we saw blazing a trail to multiple breakaways and SHGs last year before he was hurt? I saw both these guys in the stands Saturday - didn't look injured (obviously I don't know for sure).

As others have pointed out, there have been losses when they have had the majority of guys available. I don't remember when Tuch got hurt, but he wasn't showing much in the games he played in (much to my surprise).

At the end of the day, all one has to do is watch the way the team plays. The offensive "game plan". Watch how often we struggle to maintain possession, to win battles for the puck. So often there are two Terriers bumping into each other and the puck is over where none of them are. The only time I've seen us maintain possession is 1) when we are a man up and 2) the Merrimack 8 goal barrage.

The most recent play to exemplify my concern over the coaching. From the stands on Saturday, it was obvious to me that UML was playing very aggressive when they were shorthanded. They would rush our point guys and we struggled with what to do. Well before this pressure turned into a SHG, I said - "wow they are playing aggressive, we need to make plays with the 3 on 2 down low that this creates. Now, if I can see this, I would think the coaches could see this and work on something. But they must not have done so very well, because there we were trying to make point to point passes, and we even had a forward at the point (Zabaneh) who was simply outmuscled, creating the turnover that led to the SHG.
            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
              My guess is Cockerill and Amonte sat because Albie needs to send a message - Cockerill hasn't done much. Where is the guy we saw blazing a trail to multiple breakaways and SHGs last year before he was hurt? I saw both these guys in the stands Saturday - didn't look injured (obviously I don't know for sure).
              Not sure why Cockerill sat on Saturday, but I overheard Amonte telling someone in the concourse on Saturday that he took a puck to an ankle on Friday and had some swelling in that ankle. He wasn't wearing a boot/brace/cast (which is encouraging), but I noticed he was walking with a slight limp.

I noticed both Brown and Tuch are off their walking boot and crutches, respectively, so hopefully they're close to returning to the lineup. No word on O'Brien...

Comment

• Logan indeed blocked a shot off his ankle area late in the third on Friday and very gingerly skated off the ice. He seemed OK, but it wouldn't surprise me if it swelled up quite a bit after the game/next day to the point that he couldn't play Saturday.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• In addition to what's already been much-discussed about this BU team underperforming, I don't think we can fully overlook the element of (bad) luck this team has had early this season with injuries to key forwards. Perhaps it's easy to not give it full consideration and to largely attribute the underperformance as a result of coaching/preparation issues, along with how last year's team (over)performed when faced with injuries/COVID absences to key players.

Comment

• In my heart of hearts, I wish I could honestly say that injuries are playing a big role in the team's results but I don't think it's making much of a difference. When they were pretty much all available the first two weekends, I stated I thought goal scoring would be this team's Achilles heel and I still stand by that. I don't think there's much difference between the 1st/2nd line scoring ability and the 3rd/4th. Usually there is at BU because there are 4-6 forwards that have high end offensive skills leaving a gap between them and the 3rd and 4th lines (especially with a plugging/PK-oriented 4th line).

Put the draft round and pre-BU resumes aside and just do the eye test. There's really not a one of them that I feel could be considered an offensive weapon good enough to carry a team for 3 or more weekends in a row.

We need a coaching change and better offensive players. As things stand, we're going to have to grind our way into the HE playoffs and ride a hot goalie and some lucky breaks to be a BE tournament finalist.

Given our history, facilities, etc. this is an underperforming program. Sigh.

Comment

• Welcome to BU fans making their way to Marquette, MI and NMU this weekend. Hope you enjoy your visit and the great establishments and natural beauty we have to offer on the shores of Lake Superior! Safe travels to all, especially if you’re bringing the clam chowder for me!
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• To show how bad things are first year program Long Island University tied Lowell tonight 3-3 at Tsongas
                        Hockey East has a dreadful out of conference record this year

Comment

• 3-12 on the bus ride back from nyc
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by DLG View Post
                            To show how bad things are first year program Long Island University tied Lowell tonight 3-3 at Tsongas
                            Hockey East has a dreadful out of conference record this year

The reason for this is the one year transfer rule. Sacred Heart for instance took in 7 grad transfers. Seven kids that should have graduated already. This year college hockey has the most parity it ever has because of this. It’s free agent hockey.

Comment

• Travel tip for those coming to NMU, there is no Uber or Lyft waiting at the airport for. Make sure you call Checker Cab before your connecting flight leaves Detroit or Chicago or MSP.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Eichel to Vegas. Luke Tuch's brother goes from Sin City to Sunless City. (That's gotta suck.). Jack to get his surgery which means no Olympic Team.
                                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X