Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Terrier86 View Post
    Is today the big day?
    My guess is word will get out about BC/BU by end of this week with official press conferences early next week. For any media coverage at all, might be good for these schools to have em on separate days! Or at least a couple hrs apart on the same day.

Comment

• If it is JP, we did fine with the last JP, who was about 26 and had no college head coaching experience when hired and went on to win four straight ECAC titles and a NCAA championship in his first five years.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

Didn’t quite equate “bigger role” into implying “taking over”.
        Well then you do not know how a College Program works... Or how Albie worked... Simply put new guy comes in as an Assistant doesn't just come in and impart his will on the program without stepping on toes. As most hockey guys are , Pando is an outstanding human being and standup guy who also has a long term relationship with Albie. However, when push came to shove he figured out a way to get more involved. It is not really that complicated...

Comment

• So if I add up all the innuendo, rumors, guesses, and add in the comment made to me by a player parent a few years ago that I mentioned awhile back:

- Albie was great recruiter, was next in line to be HC. When Quinn left, there was a token search done, with only one other candidate seemingly considered.
          - It didn't take long to realize that Albie was in over his head. Recruiting and game coaching/player development are two different things, and Albie wasn't effective on what counts as a HC.
          - This being BU and Albie being on a 4-year contract meant that the admin wasn't going to do anything until the end of the contract unless it got dire.
          - The COVID shortened season resulted in a good record thanks to talent like Zegras, Farrance, and Harper. Perhaps this kept things out of the "dire" zone and let Albie stay for the last year of his contract.
          - The Admin/AD already knows that this is likely AOC's last season, so Pandolfo is brought in as a likely successor. The season starts off terribly, the AD hears complaints from parents, insists that Pandolfo be given a bigger role in running the team, and the results improve significantly.
          - Pandolfo has shown his worth, is expected to get the job, but the Admin feels they need to be sure they have done a more thorough search this time. Which is why this has taken so long.

That's how I am viewing it at this point...
          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• If Pandolfo gets the credit for the hot streak, he also gets the blame for losing to BC and Maine (8-1?) when you could have locked up home ice.

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
              So if I add up all the innuendo, rumors, guesses, and add in the comment made to me by a player parent a few years ago that I mentioned awhile back:

- Albie was great recruiter, was next in line to be HC. When Quinn left, there was a token search done, with only one other candidate seemingly considered.
              - It didn't take long to realize that Albie was in over his head. Recruiting and game coaching/player development are two different things, and Albie wasn't effective on what counts as a HC.
              - This being BU and Albie being on a 4-year contract meant that the admin wasn't going to do anything until the end of the contract unless it got dire.
              - The COVID shortened season resulted in a good record thanks to talent like Zegras, Farrance, and Harper. Perhaps this kept things out of the "dire" zone and let Albie stay for the last year of his contract.
              - The Admin/AD already knows that this is likely AOC's last season, so Pandolfo is brought in as a likely successor. The season starts off terribly, the AD hears complaints from parents, insists that Pandolfo be given a bigger role in running the team, and the results improve significantly.
              - Pandolfo has shown his worth, is expected to get the job, but the Admin feels they need to be sure they have done a more thorough search this time. Which is why this has taken so long.

That's how I am viewing it at this point...
              Well done!!

Comment

• There was most definitely not a token search when Albie was hired. Rick Bennett was a very serious candidate and by all accounts I've heard was Drew's preferred choice over Albie until President Brown overruled the decision and chose Albie.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                  There was most definitely not a token search when Albie was hired. Rick Bennett was a very serious candidate and by all accounts I've heard was Drew's preferred choice over Albie until President Brown overruled the decision and chose Albie.
                  I wholeheartedly disagree with that. Rick Bennett had a very challenging reputation and there were tons of rumors swirling all over the place (seems many of which are now substantiated) and there was great trepidation about bringing him in. I will be the first one to say that I felt that even with all the knowledge of who and what Albie is/was that I felt he should have been given the shot. A lot of people grow into roles, step up to the challenge and develop. Some don't , and even more so some cannot it is just not in their DNA. I think had it not been for Covid there was a high likelihood he would not have made it the full 4 years. I think it is time to move on! Support our new coach (at least who I believe it will be) and whatever team and assistants he might bring in!

Comment

• Originally posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post

I wholeheartedly disagree with that. Rick Bennett had a very challenging reputation and there were tons of rumors swirling all over the place (seems many of which are now substantiated) and there was great trepidation about bringing him in. I will be the first one to say that I felt that even with all the knowledge of who and what Albie is/was that I felt he should have been given the shot. A lot of people grow into roles, step up to the challenge and develop. Some don't , and even more so some cannot it is just not in their DNA. I think had it not been for Covid there was a high likelihood he would not have made it the full 4 years. I think it is time to move on! Support our new coach (at least who I believe it will be) and whatever team and assistants he might bring in!
                    While I agree with your sentiment, my original post wasn't an opinion but a recitation of information so I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. I was only recounting what was told to me regarding the process in the last hire to discredit the notion that there was a "token" interview process - which implied Albie was always going to be the hire from the beginning and that Drew's preferred candidate was Bennett. The information I was told at the time, and subsequent to that, suggested Albie was not the shoe-in hire from the start. I also agree with you that Rick Bennett has a challenging reputation (and from what I understand that's what bristled Brown) but that doesn't change that the last coaching hire was not predetermined the day DQ left.

I agree with you that Covid likely gave Albie a one-year reprieve and that we should move on and support the new coaching staff - it'd just be nice if they finally announced something.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I can't speak to how it went down last time, but I heard firsthand some of the things that happened (re: Bennett) and was curious why it wasn't getting out there, perhaps it was in some fashion (before the ones that officially led to the end).
                      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Well then you do not know how a College Program works... Or how Albie worked... Simply put new guy comes in as an Assistant doesn't just come in and impart his will on the program without stepping on toes. As most hockey guys are , Pando is an outstanding human being and standup guy who also has a long term relationship with Albie. However, when push came to shove he figured out a way to get more involved. It is not really that complicated...
                        Then type that out to start and don’t pussifoot around with “bigger role”. QED
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• So, since it's after 3:00pm here in Boston I'm assuming we're hearing nothing today. Tomorrow is another day!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            So, since it's after 3:00pm here in Boston I'm assuming we're hearing nothing today. Tomorrow is another day!
                            It would seem so. Not sure what they're waiting around for at this point.
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• At this point, this seems like a mess. IF, it's Jay what's the wait? IF it's not Jay, then it feels like there was no preparedness on the AD's part. Either way, the longer it goes on the more weak the program looks. No decisiveness or no takers for the job?

Comment

• Originally posted by Terrier86 View Post
                                At this point, this seems like a mess. IF, it's Jay what's the wait? IF it's not Jay, then it feels like there was no preparedness on the AD's part. Either way, the longer it goes on the more weak the program looks. No decisiveness or no takers for the job?
                                Spot on. The AD does not come off well from this process. Gave a deadline of the coaches conference initially then reportedly did not conduct formal interviews until he was at the convention. Jay reportedly did not meet with President Brown until last week. What were they doing for four weeks? Chasing down the Quinn pipe dream? Waiting around for Hastings to decide? Neither of those two things should've delayed the process.

I don't believe it was a lack of takers, though. More lack of decisiveness.

Either way, this:
                                https://***********/MikeGrinnell_/st...lCPn3p2Pg&s=19
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X