BU 2021-22: Albie's Great Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Wodon tweet today:

Hearing as early as Wednesday for announcement on Jay Pandolfo -> BU head coach
    Greg Brown seems likely soon for BC head coach, too.

Wonder if they'll coordinate press conferences - like the NBA and NHL not scheduling big games at the same time.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      From Wodon tweet today:

Hearing as early as Wednesday for announcement on Jay Pandolfo -> BU head coach
      Greg Brown seems likely soon for BC head coach, too.

Wonder if they'll coordinate press conferences - like the NBA and NHL not scheduling big games at the same time.
      Safe choices by both programs if true.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Mastro headed to Arizona State. So that means when BU plays them in Arizona next January he will undoubtedly score a couple against his former teammates.

Comment

• That seems like a bizarre choice to me but what do I know

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Mastro headed to Arizona State. So that means when BU plays them in Arizona next January he will undoubtedly score a couple against his former teammates.
            I agree with JD…. Seems like a bit of an odd move. Why did he leave? Did he have that much allegiance to Albie?

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

I agree with JD…. Seems like a bit of an odd move. Why did he leave? Did he have that much allegiance to Albie?

Agreed ASU wasn't where I thought Mastro would end up.

I don't think this has anything to do with the coaching situation as much as the scholarship allocation for next year's BU roster. It's believed the allocation for next season was done so under the expectation Mastro would turn pro after this season. When that didn't happen and when BU presumably couldn't piece together enough scholarship money to retain him, it triggered the decision to enter the transfer portal.

Comment

• Interesting comments in the Wodon piece - he says that technically Albie was indeed fired. A contract is not required to be in the job, it is just something that is often put in place. So a contract expiring does not mean that the coach is no longer the coach (see Michigan). It just means that there isn't a contract in place at the moment laying out any employment specifics (just like most of us peasants).

Pandolfo - I am fine if it is him. I hope the column indicating that he isn't the quiet guy we all think he is, is accurate. At this point I just want things to come together, and hope that no recruits go elsewhere.

Mastro - very interesting. I would have thought there would have been suitors in more traditional programs/conferences that had scholly's available, given all the portal activity. Perhaps not.
                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post

Agreed ASU wasn't where I thought Mastro would end up.

I don't think this has anything to do with the coaching situation as much as the scholarship allocation for next year's BU roster. It's believed the allocation for next season was done so under the expectation Mastro would turn pro after this season. When that didn't happen and when BU presumably couldn't piece together enough scholarship money to retain him, it triggered the decision to enter the transfer portal.
                  I've been told similar information to this, that his situation is based primarily on lack of available scholarship because BU expected him to go pro this year.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Mastro was drafted in 2019 - he can become a free agent next summer, no? I wonder if he wanted to stay in school so he can choose where he goes. Maybe he'll be another NY guy who forces their way to the Rangers, like Fox...

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

I've been told similar information to this, that his situation is based primarily on lack of available scholarship because BU expected him to go pro this year.
                      completely not the case....

Comment

• Originally posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post

completely not the case....
                        Which is then???
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

NIL money?

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

Which is then???
                            That's the ColinWilsonFan way. Tell someone they are wrong but never provide anything as to why they are wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terrier86 View Post

NIL money?
                              I think you'd be on to something if we were talking the top players in college hockey. But I doubt this was the case here. I do know that Jack St. Ivany hooked on with Tom Brady's clothing line last year while he was still playing at BC so who really knows.. But I am not well versed as to what college hockey players have been able to land in NIL deals.

Comment

• Jay may or may not be a good choice, but the one thing that concerns me is he has never been a head coach. The same was true for Albie. When you are an assistant coach, you are an employee. When you are the head coach at this level, you own it. It is a different mindset. I think since Jay has never been a head coach it also makes it a little more difficult to evaluate him. I suspect if you asked David Quinn, he would tell you the three years he spent as head coach of Cleveland (Lake Monsters?) added significantly to his readiness to become head coach at BU. If Jay is the choice, I sincerely hope he is successful, but after Albie, hiring someone without head coaching experience makes me a little nervous.

Comment

Working...
                                X