No announcement yet.

BU 2021-22: Albie's Great Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BU has gotta hire a BU alum, just like Montreal has to hire a French speaker. As someone who despises both, please continue these practices which remove over 95% of the talent pool.
    2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
    2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      I don't think there is anything "wrong" with him, i just think that BU (and BC) would be looking for someone with more experience at higher levels of hockey (NHL / Higher levels of NCAA D1 etc). I also don't think that these schools would go for the model of older established players that he has created at AIT - and, as mentioned before, while at AIC, they are 4-31-1 against the teams which we are really trying to compete.
      Can you name these coaches with more experience BU would be looking at?

As for his model at AIC why do you think he wouldn't change it if hired by BU?

As for only looking at some of his record, how about his postseason record: 15-7. I haven't checked, but I believe that's one of the best records over the past six seasons.

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      As to writing a letter, I don't think I'd ever do that (either for or against a coach)- it just isn't my style to do so.
      It wasn't my style in the past either. However, I think BU is at a major turning point and felt I needed to do so.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Bottom line is that just within Hockey East BU is the near the bottom in coach rating IMO. With the players and resources they are missing the coaching no matter how you look at it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
          BU has gotta hire a BU alum, just like Montreal has to hire a French speaker. As someone who despises both, please continue these practices which remove over 95% of the talent pool.
          Montreal is two-thirds French speaking first and over half bi-lingual so it's totally understandable for the Canadiens to want a French speaking coach (it just makes sense on so many levels - especially understanding their nickname is Les Habitants). About 25% of Canada's people speak French. I really don't think it's that much of a hand tied behind their back.... BU on the other hand, if they require it to be a former player, DRASTICALLY limits itself - perhaps to 3 or 4 guys. SIGH.

Comment

• Hiring a BU Hockey alum as head coach is an implicit requirement because of the fear of the backlash from some/many in the BU Hockey community if they hire an outsider - no matter how qualified that candidate might be. This is one thing that I feel most BU Hockey alums agree on, whereas their opinions on the current head coach and his predecessor have been split from what I've gathered over the years.

Conversely, I know of some hockey alums who didn't agree with how Quinn ran some aspects of the program and felt alienated by him. I also know some hockey alums who were thrilled to see Albie promoted, but now feel similarly as those on this thread about the state of the program under Albie.

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say the 101st season of BU Hockey may be a bellwether for where BU Hockey heads the rest of this decade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
              Hiring a BU Hockey alum as head coach is an implicit requirement because of the fear of the backlash from some/many in the BU Hockey community if they hire an outsider - no matter how qualified that candidate might be. This is one thing that I feel most BU Hockey alums agree on, whereas their opinions on the current head coach and his predecessor have been split from what I've gathered over the years.

Conversely, I know of some hockey alums who didn't agree with how Quinn ran some aspects of the program and felt alienated by him. I also know some hockey alums who were thrilled to see Albie promoted, but now feel similarly as those on this thread about the state of the program under Albie.

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say the 101st season of BU Hockey may be a bellwether for where BU Hockey heads the rest of this decade.
              Respectfully disagree- I don't even think more than half of the people on this board "require" a BU alumn as head coach. I'm sure there are "purists", but certainly not most. What most people care about is a winning program/one we can be proud of.

Certainly agree that the program is at a crossroads. We need someone that can get us back to the level of our proud heritage. Things are moving faster and faster in college sports and the players are much more in the driver's seat than ever before with instant transfer eligibility through the portal, Name Image Likeness opportunities, more professional opportunities than ever before, etc.

We need a modern day, effective coach more than ever and there is no reason to be tapping a BU alumn-only coaching pool of literally a handful of people. If we keep on that path, we will become the Indiana University basketball program of college hockey (i.e. average current day performance with a great history and dusty trophy case).

Comment

• Unrelated question, and admittedly I have not really studied what the rule is, but are there any current players that we might expect to take advantage of the extra year of eligibility from the shortened Covid season?

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                  Unrelated question, and admittedly I have not really studied what the rule is, but are there any current players that we might expect to take advantage of the extra year of eligibility from the shortened Covid season?
                  No one on the current roster is yet eligible to use it. Every graduating senior this year was in their extra Covid year.

Every player who came in as a freshman in Albie's first class transferred out (hmm...) and there were no seniors on this year's roster in their fourth year who'd be eligible to play a fifth year next year.

Every sophomore or junior on this year's roster will have an optional fifth year of eligibility after their four standard years are up.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by Terrier86 View Post

Respectfully disagree- I don't even think more than half of the people on this board "require" a BU alumn as head coach.
                    I don't either...and if we're wrong, well, we're in trouble IMO.

Comment

• Any news on players entering the Transfer Portal?

I've looked around; is there any means to view the portal for laymen such as ourselves?
                      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• The COVID option goes both ways. The school has to want the player back too. What I can't remember is if you're still allowed to go over the scholarship limit or if that was only a one year thing. Depending on what you have coming in for a freshmen class you might not have room for your seniors to stay another year. That's how BC got the Bowling Green crew.

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                          Any news on players entering the Transfer Portal?

I've looked around; is there any means to view the portal for laymen such as ourselves?
                          From the UNH thread:

I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

No one on the current roster is yet eligible to use it. Every graduating senior this year was in their extra Covid year.

Every player who came in as a freshman in Albie's first class transferred out (hmm...) and there were no seniors on this year's roster in their fourth year who'd be eligible to play a fifth year next year.

Every sophomore or junior on this year's roster will have an optional fifth year of eligibility after their four standard years are up.
                            I thought Ty Amonte might be eligible due to missing a year with injuries
                            I see with the link provided below he is in the transfer portal
                            Certainly has been dogged with injuries

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                              From the UNH thread:
                              Thanks.
                              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by Terrier86 View Post
                                Respectfully disagree- I don't even think more than half of the people on this board "require" a BU alumn as head coach. I'm sure there are "purists", but certainly not most. What most people care about is a winning program/one we can be proud of.
                                Your comment got me thinking about this, so I tried my hand and created a survey for BU fans.

Sean
                                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                                NCAA Hockey Financials
                                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Working...
                                X