Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Robert Morris dropping men's and women's hockey.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. Exactly that. Info that was not reported on in the USCHO article. Or CHN, for that matter. Thank you. I'm not sure what a couple week's difference in notice would have meant to any of the players, frankly. Potentially illegal and fraudulent? Ok, sure. But what are the damages? Some kids don't get to play hockey for a year? Whoop-de-do.
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

"Hearing Robert Morris hockey programs will be reinstated"

https://twitter.com/Buccigross/statu...19277078765568

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post

But isn't the damage already done?
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

But isn't the damage already done?
          like UAA, i don't see a 2021/22 season in the least...

Comment

Someone tell Bucci to **** & stop trying to sell hats & shirts. I take this as seriously as this particular Tweet

https://twitter.com/Buccigross/statu...734413824?s=19
            Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
            B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
            CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
            ECAC:
            HEA: UMass
            NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
            Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Well ... there's smoke ...
              https://twitter.com/ShelbyCassesse/s...19638519451650
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Am I a cynic or a skeptic?

Here's what I see happening: RoMo raises a couple million. Nowhere near the $7MM they want. Why would they be able to? UAA and UAH have been getting after it for a while and have been able to raise only a few mill each. RoMo isn't going to their former pro players for bucketloads of cash - I've played as many NHL games as their entire band of alums. So they announce that they'll reinstate for a year. But only a year. After that, no more RoMo hockey. And they get what they're really after: the bloodsucking lawsuit because a few kids don't get to play a couple college hockey games goes away.

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

"RMU press release when they cut hockey: we have had historically massive donations and are way ahead of where we hoped to be. RMU press release when they discuss reinstating hockey: this can only happen if we get $7m of donations in the next 2 weeks."

https://twitter.com/BurntBoats/statu...39855874232326

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                    Nothing's going to change while the incumbent president remains in office. IIRC, the decision to cut the two hockey programs was his and his alone; the Board of Trustees was never informed or consulted.

Against that backdrop, what assurance does anyone who contributes to the gofundme have that the proceeds would indeed be used for men's and women's hockey instead of just being added to the general fund for other purposes once turned over to RMU? I'm not a lawyer so, beyond the moral and ethical, not sure of what binding legalities attach to gofundme proceeds.
                    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                      Am I a cynic or a skeptic?

Here's what I see happening: RoMo raises a couple million. Nowhere near the $7MM they want. Why would they be able to? UAA and UAH have been getting after it for a while and have been able to raise only a few mill each. RoMo isn't going to their former pro players for bucketloads of cash - I've played as many NHL games as their entire band of alums. So they announce that they'll reinstate for a year. But only a year. After that, no more RoMo hockey. And they get what they're really after: the bloodsucking lawsuit because a few kids don't get to play a couple college hockey games goes away.
                      I'm pretty skeptical too and a quick socials search, a lot of RMU fans also seem to be skeptical. My first thought is that this is the RMU Administration's way of saving face, without truly committing to hockey.1) Reinstatement relies on fundraising in about 15 days. 2) Damage is already done, players left, recruits decommitted then recommitted to other programs, coaches left for openings at other programs, etc... At best, the RMU President set a consistent AHA contender back to the basement of the conference for years to come. 3) I worry this gives them several outs to kill off the program for good. A) If fundraising goal isn't met. B) If the program sucks and finishes with a horrible record, it's an excuse to say RMU hockey isn't competitive and cut it. C) Playing a likely independent schedule, RMU may be without a conference home for the foreseeable future and I don't blame CCHA, AHA, or any other conference for not wanting to take a chance on what is now an unstable program until the Admins show real commitment to college hockey again.

It will be telling with this reinstatement plan if the RMU Administration works with parties like Marty Gunty or the Penguins in solving the one major issue they brought up cutting the programs-the ageing RMU sports center needs. Whether it's Gunty's team taking it off of RMU's books or working with the Penguins on a competition arena at the UPMC Ice Complex, those options will be telling that the administration is actually planning long-term stability for the program.

Comment

"RMU press release when they cut hockey: we have had historically massive donations and are way ahead of where we hoped to be. RMU press release when they discuss reinstating hockey: this can only happen if we get $7m of donations in the next 2 weeks."

https://twitter.com/BurntBoats/statu...39855874232326
                        The group formed by the former players is pushing this, so there is some legitimacy to it. The goal is $7M over five years (or $1.4M/year).

The GoFundMe is already over $400K. They need to scrape together $1M (still a tall order) in the next two weeks. Hard, but doable.
                        Friends don't let friends go to PITT.

Save on GAS... BAN NASCAR

Comment

Originally posted by Spydey629 View Post

The group formed by the former players is pushing this, so there is some legitimacy to it. The goal is $7M over five years (or $1.4M/year).

The GoFundMe is already over $400K. They need to scrape together $1M (still a tall order) in the next two weeks. Hard, but doable.
                          I'll guess the RoMo admin is looking for commitments for future donations. I don't see $1.5 MM moving things forward this year.

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post

Nothing's going to change while the incumbent president remains in office. IIRC, the decision to cut the two hockey programs was his and his alone; the Board of Trustees was never informed or consulted.
                            The last part isn't true. There was discussion, but there was never a vote from that body to cut (or retain) the hockey programs. As you noted, that decision rests squarely on the shoulders of the president (at least based on what has been released to the public at this point.)
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I see fundraising is being attempted to save the Robert Morris hockey programs but isn't the damage too far along now with players already going over to other teams and your recruits scattered to the wind?

Comment

Should their fundraising efforts be successful (which should be a slam dunk if the Penguins have any interest in helping the team) I suspect RMU might get a one-time "free pass" from Atlantic and they will put out a revised conference schedule with RMU included again. The talent of their team would likely take a hit with some players departing, but the portal is FULL of players looking for new homes not to mention recruits who have been bumped a year because everyone got a 5th Covid year. Are a bunch of frosh as good as the players that departed? No, not likely, but I don't see lack of players being the issue that keeps RMU off the ice if everything else gets hammered out.

Now if Atlantic tells them "Sorry the 2021-22 schedule is set, we'll include you next season..." that could be a huge issue as how many teams are going to have open dates at this point, and of those teams, how many are willing to do a road trip to help RMU out? All road game schedule for RMU? We'll know a lot more in 10 days when the fundraising deadline is hit. Frankly, the fundraising target is pretty low in my opinion and for all the folks that wanted the team saved it should not be hard at all to reach that number.
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X