Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Robert Morris dropping men's and women's hockey.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Robert Morris dropping men's and women's hockey.

    Robert Morris just announce that they will be dropping men's and women's hockey effective immediately. Very sad news. I have made that trip several times.

  • #2
    It's hard to keep track. Are all of these teams done until further notice?
    UAA
    UAH
    UAF
    RMU

    Any others?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
      It's hard to keep track. Are all of these teams done until further notice?
      UAA
      UAH
      UAF
      RMU

      Any others?
      My question is will UAH be invited to take their place?

      Comment


      • #4
        What's interesting is that RMU is private. I have been expecting a catastrophe of COVID jamming up state university budgets and leaving whole swathes of college hockey prone to programs faltering or shutting down.

        What BTHC/NCHC started, COVID's gonna finish.
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
          It's hard to keep track. Are all of these teams done until further notice?
          UAA
          UAH
          UAF
          RMU

          Any others?
          UAF is playing next season.
          sigpic

          Let's Go 'Tute!

          Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

          2012 Poser Of The Year

          Comment


          • #6
            The school added that the COVID-19 pandemic was not a major factor in its decision.

            “We are saddened for the student-athletes who will be unable to continue in their sport at Robert Morris University and are committed to assisting them during this difficult time,” said RMU President Chris Howard. “However, this is the best course of action to leverage our strategic assets and position us for future growth.”

            I'm reading on Twitter that everyone was completely blind-sided by this today. No warning.
            It Happened!!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Or is this just the first move on the chess board? Now outraged alumni buck-up so the school doesn't have to pay for hockey anymore?
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                However, this is the best course of action to leverage our strategic assets and position us for future growth.
                My university administrative spinmeister translation device converts that as "we have significant undisclosed budget issues."


                Where'd ya go BobbyMo? We hardly knew ya.
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

                North Dakota Hockey:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by wsummers View Post

                  My question is will UAH be invited to take their place?
                  Atlantic Hockey is now at 10 schools. You'd think that scheduling is simplified with an even number of teams.

                  But I still think that UAH has to offer something of value to Atlantic Hockey in order to get an invitation.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

                    Atlantic Hockey is now at 10 schools. You'd think that scheduling is simplified with an even number of teams.

                    But I still think that UAH has to offer something of value to Atlantic Hockey in order to get an invitation.
                    Yeah, an increased travel budget for the remaining 10? I don't see that cutting it.
                    Last edited by Chirpshow; 05-26-2021, 05:13 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      Or is this just the first move on the chess board? Now outraged alumni buck-up so the school doesn't have to pay for hockey anymore?
                      It is highly unlikely RMU did this to increase contributions. I've been tracking hockey revenue and expenses since 2009-10 and no public school has been able to cover their expenses with contributions, although ASU has done a great job through 2020 with contributions covering about 75% to 80% of the hockey programs annual expenses. I don't expect that to continue once their new arena opens. Other schools have seen spikes in contributions for a year or two, but they then drop back down, usually to previous levels and sometimes lower.

                      I have no idea what the state of their rink is, but in the FAQ section of the announcement is this answer: "The decision to discontinue the men’s and women’s ice hockey programs was made based on an analysis which included scholarships and operating costs, and the necessary investments to maintain and improve the current facility." Their annual expenses for men's and women's hockey have been among the lowest of the schools that give scholarships, so based on that answer I'm thinking that the rink needs a lot of work, more than the school is willing to invest to keep the men's and women's teams.

                      Sean
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

                      BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have to wonder how far in advance Atlantic Hockey knew about this. They’ve previously said they would consider adding 1 or 2 schools in UAH and LIU. Maybe just out of politeness to both applicants. But that was when they had 11 schools. I would be hard pressed to think they would consider going to 13. Now that they’re down to 10 with this news, all the sudden adding 2 schools seems very reasonable. So did they have a clue this was coming or was it politeness?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by slowe View Post
                          I have to wonder how far in advance Atlantic Hockey knew about this. They’ve previously said they would consider adding 1 or 2 schools in UAH and LIU. Maybe just out of politeness to both applicants. But that was when they had 11 schools. I would be hard pressed to think they would consider going to 13. Now that they’re down to 10 with this news, all the sudden adding 2 schools seems very reasonable. So did they have a clue this was coming or was it politeness?
                          The rumor is that no one in either program at RMU had a clue, so I find it hard to believe Atlantic Hockey knew as well.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The coaches had no idea and were talking scheduling games for this season earlier this week per one reporter.

                            https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahonCHN/s...38896721219589
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

                            North Dakota Hockey:

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              McMahon is right on.

                              Chris Howard seems like a monstrous *****.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

                              BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!


                              At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

                              Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X