THE University of MICHIGAN 2021-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    I'm naturally skeptical as it was first reported in The Atlantic. I've seen a number of stories from them over the years and like most these days they enhance and sensationalize their stories.
    I'm not going to judge until I hear it from a reputable source.
    It is understandable that you might not like The Atlantic's view of things or their assessment of the allegations, but the vast majority of media outlets copy and past the allegations straight from the report. The allegations are what they are and the report confirms they are not people that are crying because they didn't get to live their dream. The report also put the responsibility for these events as the HC's responsibility. If he should get a new contract, slap on the wrist, a talking to, suspension, and/or dismissal is what people are allowed to speculate on. 20-30 years ago this wouldn't be much of a story. In today's day and age he might not survive as HC and accomplishments under his tenure might not get the personal recognition they otherwise would deserve.
    Last edited by Lost_Husky; 08-04-2022, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sigx15 View Post

Please don't tell me you're getting the Atlantic confused with the Athletic?
      Hmmm. Apparently I did. That's embarrassing but there is a bit of fuzzy brain from being on a ventilator for two months from Covid. I'm one of the few who survive such an experience.
      Bit I still won't judge Mel until more is known from other sources.

Comment

• Originally posted by bose301s View Post
        ...this is not a molehill, it is absolutely a mountain and he needs to be removed from his position.
        If this goes on much longer without any action, the heat is going to shift to Manuel and whether he keeps HIS job. The findings have only become available to the public recently but he's been sitting on the report for roughly THREE MONTHS and has done nothing (except support Pearson). One of the allegations against Pearson is knowing there were problems and not taking action to resolve them. Well, that's pretty much what Manuel has been doing for at least the last three months.

With his resume, Pearson will land another hockey job without any trouble. Although it will likely not be one that has direct contact with student athletes (hockey scout, administrator, director of operations, GM, etc).
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• When Michigan Daily is calling for a firing ...
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• I wanted to read the whole report, but only got through about 6 pages. What I want to know is are other investigations ongoing? Reading the scope of the investigation they were looking at was an employee wrongfully terminated. All the other stuff came up as part of the investigation, but wasn't the focus, wasn't fully explored (I think, again, didn't read the whole thing yet).
            So, is Michigan looking into these other things as was recommended by the report? Even without further investigation, there's enough to let Mel go. A culture that may have been acceptable in the 90s is not ok in the 2020s.

Here's where I'm gonna get all ageist. It is time for Boomers to retire. If you cannot adhere to the current societal expectations where sexism and bullying are not acceptable no matter what level of the program you are at, then you can't be part of the program. The work place is no longer a good ol' boys club. Update your behavior or retire.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

• Seems there's a "urination competition" in Ann Arbor ...

More sources: the status of UM hockey coach Mel Pearson has now been reduced to a stand-off between
              • the Regents (8-0) and interim pres. Mary Sue Coleman on one side, and
              • Pearson and UM AD Warde Manuel (who earlier this week wanted to sign Pearson to an extension)
              on the other.
              https://twitter.com/Johnubacon/statu...46709088854017
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• This John U Bacon fellow is raining fire down on U of Michigan.

https://twitter.com/Johnubacon

If the conduct catalogued in that report is not grounds for dismissal, then no UM employee or student should ever come forward to report wrongdoing again. UM will lose the trust of its constituents.
                In my view, if UM ignores the findings of the external investigation it commissioned (which I've addressed here: https://johnubacon.com/2022/08/the-investigative-report-on-the-michigan-hockey-program/…) it sacrifices moral authority.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• What. A. Joke.

Comment

• Warde Manuel needs to go as well.
                    2005-2006: 7-25-6
                    2006-2007: 18-17-5
                    2007-2008: 14-20-5
                    2008-2009: 6-25-7
                    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

• Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                      Warde Manuel needs to go as well.
                      If as posed is true (Regents+Pres versus Athletics), you are correct.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                        This John U Bacon fellow is raining fire down on U of Michigan.

https://twitter.com/Johnubacon

For those outside the U of M athletics circle, John U Bacon is well known and respected around here. He has written several books on our athletic programs, including Blue Ice about U of M hockey, and has taught classes at the university as well.

His first take on it: https://johnubacon.com/2022/08/the-i...ockey-program/
                        as seen in his below quote, he has close ties to this program
                        full disclosure: I believe I know everyone in the report personally, and consider all of them friends, including head coach Mel Pearson and his staffers. That said, my job here is clear: to determine the truth wherever it leads, without fear or favor, as best I can.
                        I'm gonna side with Bacon, Mary Sue, and the Regents on this. If Warde thinks this behavior is acceptable despite everyone else saying no, then Warde needs to go too.
                        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

• Here's an interesting read.

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-div...ow-we-got-here

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                            The report from the law firm retained by UMi is in that link.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                              I wanted to read the whole report, but only got through about 6 pages. What I want to know is are other investigations ongoing? Reading the scope of the investigation they were looking at was an employee wrongfully terminated. All the other stuff came up as part of the investigation, but wasn't the focus, wasn't fully explored (I think, again, didn't read the whole thing yet).
                              So, is Michigan looking into these other things as was recommended by the report? Even without further investigation, there's enough to let Mel go. A culture that may have been acceptable in the 90s is not ok in the 2020s.

Here's where I'm gonna get all ageist. It is time for Boomers to retire. If you cannot adhere to the current societal expectations where sexism and bullying are not acceptable no matter what level of the program you are at, then you can't be part of the program. The work place is no longer a good ol' boys club. Update your behavior or retire.

Not sure if your implication is that that kind of behavior is common with “boomers” or absent in other age groups. Hope not.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                When Michigan Daily is calling for a firing ...
                                Imagine this reporter still covering the team and Pearson keeping his job...awkward!

Pearson is 64. I'm not so sure he finds work after this. Probably just heads off into retirement. And by the way, Michigan does not need Mel Pearson to be what they want to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X