THE University of MICHIGAN 2021-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    To be fair, they only have 8 defensemen, 13 forwards, and 3 goalies available for their roster while 5 are at the World Juniors.
    So what do they do when five players get hurt or get Covid? Cancel the rest of the season? It's not like the WJ tourney or the Great Lakes BIG Home Games Four Pack (not a tourney) just appeared on their schedule out of thin air. The greatest irony of all: Marv Pearson, the king of over-recruiting, apparently doesn't have enough players that are tough enough to play games on back to back nights.

I agree, that playing on back to back nights is asking a lot of college hockey players. That rarely happens in Western college hockey... [Sarcasm off]

Sounds like the skunks better find a whistle, get on the goal line and do some conditioning if their team of "studs" can't handle back to back games.
    "Again..."

Leaders and Best? What a joke. More like a bunch of soft, cake eaters with no heart.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

To be fair, they only have 8 defensemen, 13 forwards, and 3 goalies available for their roster while 5 are at the World Juniors.
      Oh, that's clearly not enough. Guess this game just snuck up on them.
      Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

• I suppose since the GLI isn't really a tournament this year, why even play the games?

Or, maybe, if we win tomorrow and don't lose/don't play Thursday then we win the 'tournament'?

It seems odd to claim player injuries/world juniors as an excuse to cancel the 2nd game. Granted, we've already played Western this season, so why lose to them again? Maybe we think our thinned out lineup may still have a chance against Tech.

With our second game cancelled, now I have to convince the husband to let me go to Munn Thursday so I can cheer for Tech.
        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
        7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

• https://www.michigandaily.com/ice-ho...are-protocols/

According to the student paper (since there is no news outlet in Ann Arbor anymore) the Michigan Daily says "A team spokesperson told the Daily that playing games on back-to-back nights would create wear and tear on the already depleted roster. The spokesperson maintained that the cancellation is not COVID-19 related."

You don't play again until Saturday January 8, a full 9 days after what would have been the Western game. You haven't played since December 11, which was 18 days ago.

So the translation is "awwww, big bad Western is too tough for us and we'll get beat up too bad" and you want us to believe that isn't true?

Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 12-28-2021, 07:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
            With our second game cancelled, now I have to convince the husband to let me go to Munn Thursday so I can cheer for Tech.
            You should make this a permanent change.

Comment

Ok, so there are 2 players more than you normally dress. I’ve seen teams dress 16 or 17 skater and play.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                https://www.michigandaily.com/ice-ho...are-protocols/

According to the student paper (since there is no news outlet in Ann Arbor anymore) the Michigan Daily says "A team spokesperson told the Daily that playing games on back-to-back nights would create wear and tear on the already depleted roster. The spokesperson maintained that the cancellation is not COVID-19 related."

You don't play again until Saturday January 8, a full 9 days after what would have been the Western game. You haven't played since December 11, which was 18 days ago.

So the translation is "awwww, big bad Western is too tough for us and we'll get beat up too bad" and you want us to believe that isn't true?

Hasn't Michigan already played on back to back nights about 10 times this year?

Sounds to me like someone doesn't want to get thumped.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                  I suppose since the GLI isn't really a tournament this year, why even play the games?

Or, maybe, if we win tomorrow and don't lose/don't play Thursday then we win the 'tournament'?

It seems odd to claim player injuries/world juniors as an excuse to cancel the 2nd game. Granted, we've already played Western this season, so why lose to them again? Maybe we think our thinned out lineup may still have a chance against Tech.

Makes dealing with the games a little easier- just have to donate one of the two games....

Didn't we get tickets for both games? I was going into my tickets, and the Tech game isn't there, too. Almost as if no fans will be there regardless.
                  Last edited by MichVandal; 12-28-2021, 08:45 AM.

Comment

• Not good optics...
                    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                      Not good optics...
                      To who? The public? Does it really matter? It's not as if the people who have a negative view didn't already have one going into the games. People hated Michigan before the games, they will still do so after. Big deal. It's not as if a Michigan fan really cares if you hate the program even more...

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

To who? The public? Does it really matter? It's not as if the people who have a negative view didn't already have one going into the games. People hated Michigan before the games, they will still do so after. Big deal. It's not as if a Michigan fan really cares if you hate the program even more...
                        They play two games a week...and even with 21 skaters and 3 goalies...an extra game would create wear and tear?
                        It comes off as scared. The fans should care that their program looks gutless.
                        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

How about to the roster fillers at Michigan, the guys who show up to the work outs and practices and team meetings, but don't get to see the ice because they aren't first round draft picks and aren't otherwise talented enough to crack a very talented line up? Those guys have the late December/early January games circled on their calendars as the day they might finally get to wear the "M" on the ice for a few games, but Mel has just told them they're not good enough to play another talented team.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Makes dealing with the games a little easier- just have to donate one of the two games....

Didn't we get tickets for both games? I was going into my tickets, and the Tech game isn't there, too. Almost as if no fans will be there regardless.
                            GLI tickets were not included in the season ticket packages for Michigan.
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post

They play two games a week...and even with 21 skaters and 3 goalies...an extra game would create wear and tear?
                              It comes off as scared. The fans should care that their program looks gutless.
                              Honestly, I really don't care if you think the program is gutless. It seems reasonable, to me, especially when you see so many games across the country being canceled for COVID.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

How about to the roster fillers at Michigan, the guys who show up to the work outs and practices and team meetings, but don't get to see the ice because they aren't first round draft picks and aren't otherwise talented enough to crack a very talented line up? Those guys have the late December/early January games circled on their calendars as the day they might finally get to wear the "M" on the ice for a few games, but Mel has just told them they're not good enough to play another talented team.
                                You are assuming that the team was not involved with the decision. Could be that they were ignored, could be that they had a team meeting over it. They are getting the ice time tomorrow, anyway- so it's not as if they are totally not getting ice time.

Read into it however you want, though. The distaste for Michigan can't get much worse than it was before the games.

Comment

Working...
                                X