X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sicatoka
    replied
    I'm not asking for anything for UND.

I'm asking that U of Michigan face real sanction for its disregard of Covid protocols*, specifically,

... the next time Michigan qualifies for the NCAA tourney (autobid or PWR) they are automatically out of the field. The tourney slot goes to highest PWR not in.

*whisking two players away in a van for 18 hours is enough admission of guilt for even a casual observer

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    And they may not have. You’ve lost more than one regional being the host- so what you continue to whine about is far from a sure thing. The only recourse you would ever get happened, and you are not going to get more. So suck it up.

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied
    Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
    Only thing close to NCAA violations was the Covid stuff. Given the school name, highly doubt anything NCAA-wise arises.
    The NCAA is so angry at U of Michigan they're going to put Detroit Mercy on two years probation. < rolleyes >

U of Michigan's Covid lies (let's call 'em what they are) may have cost UND a trip to the Frozen Four:
    • Michigan gets sent home;
    • UMD gets an afternoon no contest;
    • UND plays regional night game;
    • The next night a full rest UMD team beats UND in 5OT.
    Were it up to me, the next time Michigan qualifies for the NCAA tourney (autobid or PWR) they are automatically out of the field. The tourney slot goes to highest PWR not in. If that hoses the B1G out of their autobid for a year blame your conference-mates.

Leave a comment:

• Siouxfaninseattle
    replied
    Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    suppose I should have added a #NotAllMen #NotAllBoomers but how many Boomers would be like "pound sign notallmen, I don't get it"? (jokes the girl who doesn't tweet, but if she did her first tweet would be #poundsign #octothorp)

Moving on to the actual topic at hand; Mel is out. The timing is weird considering Michigan has had this report for months. Or, is it? Perhaps it was, we'll wait until season tickets sell out, leak the report, gauge the reaction, and then figure out what needs to be done?

Maybe I think that because I've been in a rather cynical mood of late. I read this quote from Warde's statement about letting town hall where they say employees are important and then spend 99.9% of the time focused on how to get more earnings for share holders'. Our student-athletes are super important, but you know what's more important? Money. It's always about money.
    Haha! You're probably right - I don't tweet either. I gotta agree with your assessment that the timing is weird, and the lip service coming from the AD is BS. And you are absolutely right about it's all about the money. We should join up and track down the person that coined the phrase "shareholder value" and stake him or her to an anthill!

Leave a comment:

• wolverineTrumpet
    replied
    Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post

Because this is part of her quote: "And yes, I realize that I am generalizing a group, and being ageist"
    suppose I should have added a #NotAllMen #NotAllBoomers but how many Boomers would be like "pound sign notallmen, I don't get it"? (jokes the girl who doesn't tweet, but if she did her first tweet would be #poundsign #octothorp)

Moving on to the actual topic at hand; Mel is out. The timing is weird considering Michigan has had this report for months. Or, is it? Perhaps it was, we'll wait until season tickets sell out, leak the report, gauge the reaction, and then figure out what needs to be done?

Maybe I think that because I've been in a rather cynical mood of late. I read this quote from Warde's statement about letting Pearson go, "Our student-athletes having a positive and meaningful experience is of paramount importance, and a clear expectation within our department is that all employees and staff are valued and supported." My thoughts are, 'yeah, that sounds like my company's town hall where they say employees are important and then spend 99.9% of the time focused on how to get more earnings for share holders'. Our student-athletes are super important, but you know what's more important? Money. It's always about money.

Leave a comment:

• UncleRay
    replied
    Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

You need the motion and a second, and call for further discussion, before taking a vote. ;-)

Robert's Rules aside, I'd bet only the president of UMi works directly for the board (Regents) and everyone else at UMi works for the president. The motion to directly fire the AD would be out of order. It'd have to be a resolution, and then the Regents would all slowly turn and look at the president with the smirk that says ... gonna follow the resolution, or do we fire you and get a president who will.
    Yep. I was simply trying to put my thoughts in two sentences instead of two paragraphs. I'm with you on the proper procedures, just amazed that hasn't happened.

Leave a comment:

• pdt1081
    replied
    Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
    I am not familiar with what is going on at Michigan, so this will just be a question as to what the future holds. Will there be NCAA sanctions against Michigan such as post season tournament bans or loss of scholarships for a few years? Or is this just to be treated internally?
    Only thing close to NCAA violations was the Covid stuff. Given the school name, highly doubt anything NCAA-wise arises.

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied
    Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
    As far as Manuel is concerned, I'm with many other posters. If I were sitting on the Board of Regents, I think I'd have been saying, "You really want to keep Mel after all this? You think what he did is appropriate?? All in favor of terminating Warde's contract effective 10 minutes from now, say, 'aye'."
    You need the motion and a second, and call for further discussion, before taking a vote. ;-)

Robert's Rules aside, I'd bet only the president of UMi works directly for the board (Regents) and everyone else at UMi works for the president. The motion to directly fire the AD would be out of order. It'd have to be a resolution, and then the Regents would all slowly turn and look at the president with the smirk that says ... gonna follow the resolution, or do we fire you and get a president who will.

Leave a comment:

• BC/HE
    replied
    I am not familiar with what is going on at Michigan, so this will just be a question as to what the future holds. Will there be NCAA sanctions against Michigan such as post season tournament bans or loss of scholarships for a few years? Or is this just to be treated internally?

Leave a comment:

• model94
    replied
    Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

I never said it couldn’t happen, I posted that it seemed less likely as we got further from the easy break point a few months ago. The only part that truly sucks is that it took so long into the upcoming season.

I’ll still contend of your and other posters obsession with Michigan. Still here. Move on, for gods sake. We have to.
    There were intentional decisions made not to act by the AD. He took so long, by design.

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

For all of your obstinate defending to this point, this is a very quick pivot.

I'd like to know if you feel a little burned by this conclusion.
    I never said it couldn’t happen, I posted that it seemed less likely as we got further from the easy break point a few months ago. The only part that truly sucks is that it took so long into the upcoming season.

I’ll still contend of your and other posters obsession with Michigan. Still here. Move on, for gods sake. We have to.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post

Because this is part of her quote: "And yes, I realize that I am generalizing a group, and being ageist"
    She still started it off with "some men" and if it doesn't apply to you don't sweat it.

Leave a comment:

• model94
    replied
    "It has been determined that Mel Pearson will not return as our ice hockey coach," Manuel said Friday in a statement. IT HAS BEEN DETERMINED??? Did someone hand deliver a sealed envelope to this guy with the outcome printed inside? Did a pigeon fly in a coded message? Did he get an anonymous phone call? Did his dog bark in Morse code? For gods sake man, take some ownership.

Leave a comment:

• model94
    replied
    Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

My implication is that some men that have been in the work force since the 70s and 80s have not adjusted to having women in the work force. I think it is less of an issue with the younger generations who have always worked beside women. And yes, I realize that I am generalizing a group, and being ageist, but these are the opinions I have formed based on the interactions I have had (as a female in engineering and manufacturing I encounter too much good 'ol boys club)
    Well, I do understand your point. I am an engineering manager and have seen my share of cringeworthy situations. You should have seen the behavior of some of the people who entered the workforce in the 60's as I entered in the late 80's. All I can tell you is there will be always be some neanderthals, but most are not. And the tolerance for it a good companies has certainly changed markedly in the past 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
    Oh, well. This was always a possibility, and I agree with JD that Michigan wanted this to not be true, as they could have moved on months ago.

Who is next? Some former players do have experience as HC, and many of the HCs had Michigan ties one way or another.

As for wTs thoughts of the 70s and 80s mens having the most issues, I would agree with that, as the most cringe worthy stuff came from men of that era. Not all men, but the worst ones for sure. Feel free to defend yourself, just bear in mind that observations are observations. As well as the people getting fired- since that’s the era of men I saw let go at my corporation. It also matches the complaints I heard from my wife.

Anyway, time to move on. It will be interesting to see how fast a new coach is brought on, since this has been a possibility for so long.
    For all of your obstinate defending to this point, this is a very quick pivot.

I'd like to know if you feel a little burned by this conclusion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X