THE University of MICHIGAN 2021-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by moose97 View Post

I don't disagree. But a number of people have mentioned it should have been a forfeit. Just pointing out that the Pairwise doesn't care about forfeits.
    It is the only recourse that exists to give Michigan a permanent "black eye" on their record. We all know come March no one will really care about this happening. This whole thing is sad for the "GLI", weekend tournaments, and college hockey as a whole.

I don't know who from Tech #1 thinks Michigan is a top rival or #2 even wants Michigan as a rival. My dislike of Michigan Hockey has nothing to do with rivalry it is dealing with you is a PITA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco View Post
      ....The NCHC fans have every right to be upset because they think they might be able to take some games off WMU the rest of the season therby increasing their PWR. And ALL college hockey fans should be upset that we didn't get to see the best game of the month due to Michigan taking their puck and going home.
      I agree Michigan would likely lose vs. Western this week, but it's hockey and anything could happen. However, to claim it'd be the "best game of the month" is quite the stretch. Any game involving a team that is not at full strength (such as missing 5 of their best players) can't possibly be a great match up.

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

It is the only recourse that exists to give Michigan a permanent "black eye" on their record. We all know come March no one will really care about this happening. This whole thing is sad for the "GLI", weekend tournaments, and college hockey as a whole.

I don't know who from Tech #1 thinks Michigan is a top rival or #2 even wants Michigan as a rival. My dislike of Michigan Hockey has nothing to do with rivalry it is dealing with you is a PITA.
      I know Michigan isn't Tech's rival, but I do know a few fans that are still a touch hate filled and bitter about Mel returning to Ann Arbor.
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G
      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
      2 Alaskan

Comment

• You all keep saying that possibly losing would hurt the pwr, but losing to Tech would hurt it more. So I'm not buying that reason. If they wanted to protect the power they would have canceled both games. For me, it's just the back to back nature of playing some players who might not be in game shape. I wish they had simply postponed it a day or two.
        I sympathize with the TV issues and I won't pay either.
        I think the ticket sales are a function of Covid, a bowl game, and no students in town. I know I had second thoughts about attending. I can't imagine the coach would have cancelled on his own and he must have had some advice that he should.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• While a potential loss and pairwise standing may have factored into Michigan's decision, I think money may be a bigger factor. The GLI games were not included in the season ticket package at U of M. I wonder what ticket sales were looking like. There are plenty of Tech fans in the area that are probably going to the game tonight. I doubt many Western fans were planning to go to Yost, especially having been able to see these teams play at Lawson earlier in the season. Hockey isn't the #1 sport at Michigan and never will be. Plenty of fans have found their way to Florida for football this week. A lot of the usual GLI crowd is the casual hockey fan that will go to the game at the NHL rink, but probably not the campus rink.

I wonder if "player health" would be cited if this really were a GLI tournament with the chance for the teams to play at LCA.
          Maybe we'd have waited to see if we were playing for the championship, or the consolation game before bailing.
          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
          7 B1G
          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
          2 Alaskan

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

I know Michigan isn't Tech's rival, but I do know a few fans that are still a touch hate filled and bitter about Mel returning to Ann Arbor.
            Good old Merv. Yes, that is real and I am one of them.

All that aside, it is more his U of MI HC/U of MI administrations actions that have me frustrated with U of MI hockey. On ice, I have nothing against them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

Fair
              Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
              dealing with you is a PITA.
              Me? Personally, me? Why, thanks... Considering I'm not even a UofM fan, and am actually a NMU fan...
              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
              B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
              CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
              ECAC:
              HEA: UMass
              NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
              Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                You all keep saying that possibly losing would hurt the pwr, but losing to Tech would hurt it more. So I'm not buying that reason. If they wanted to protect the power they would have canceled both games. For me, it's just the back to back nature of playing some players who might not be in game shape. I wish they had simply postponed it a day or two.
                I sympathize with the TV issues and I won't pay either.
                I think the ticket sales are a function of Covid, a bowl game, and no students in town. I know I had second thoughts about attending. I can't imagine the coach would have cancelled on his own and he must have had some advice that he should.
                Autocorrect fail lol
                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                ECAC:
                HEA: UMass
                NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Good old Merv. Yes, that is real and I am one of them.

All that aside, it is more his U of MI HC/U of MI administrations actions that have me frustrated with U of MI hockey. On ice, I have nothing against them.
                  Mel's? Other than taking him back from Houghton, what bad did the UM AD do? They flat out told him that he needed to be a HC to replace Red (as I interpret it)- for that, I find significant fault, but other than that- they let him go, coach for a while, then Red retired and Mel was hired.

That happens all the time, so I'm curious what was so frustrating. Other than having the potential of Mel being there for a long time being taken from you.

If you ask me (or more correctly, my dad), Tech real fault was not to hire him a long time ago from Red. Back before Mel could have established any long term connections with this area- which (theoretically) made the decision easier.

In terms of games, it would be nice if we had more consistent games with Tech. And Northern. And Lake St. Those are really fun games.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

You are assuming that the team was not involved with the decision. Could be that they were ignored, could be that they had a team meeting over it. They are getting the ice time tomorrow, anyway- so it's not as if they are totally not getting ice time.

Read into it however you want, though. The distaste for Michigan can't get much worse than it was before the games.
                    Could be that if the school would answer the questions about why they have decided to cancel the game no one would need to speculate that they simply don't want to play WMU because a loss would hurt in the Pairwise.
                    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

• Originally posted by moose97 View Post

Fair

Me? Personally, me? Why, thanks... Considering I'm not even a UofM fan, and am actually a NMU fan...
                      SHM. That explains a lot!

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Mel's? Other than taking him back from Houghton, what bad did the UM AD do? They flat out told him that he needed to be a HC to replace Red (as I interpret it)- for that, I find significant fault, but other than that- they let him go, coach for a while, then Red retired and Mel was hired.

That happens all the time, so I'm curious what was so frustrating. Other than having the potential of Mel being there for a long time being taken from you.

If you ask me (or more correctly, my dad), Tech real fault was not to hire him a long time ago from Red. Back before Mel could have established any long term connections with this area- which (theoretically) made the decision easier.

In terms of games, it would be nice if we had more consistent games with Tech. And Northern. And Lake St. Those are really fun games.
                        I'm not upset that he left Tech. He was Red's prot?g? and it was a terribly kept secret that he would go back to AA when Red retired and was offered the HC job. There were a lot of little things on his way out the door, how things were left, and once he got to AA that, innocent/normal as they may be, soured some Tech fans to him. All that is that is in the past.

The thing that gets me the most about the AD/HC is they need 2 games in AA to even considering playing 1 game in Houghton. We finally had them scheduled in Houghton in 2020, Covid happened, and now Tech can't get U of MI to Houghton. Getting them out of Yost is like pulling teeth without anesthesia.

Comment

• So now that world juniors are cancelled maybe Michigan will reinstate the game.?

Comment

I'm not upset that he left Tech. He was Red's prot?g? and it was a terribly kept secret that he would go back to AA when Red retired and was offered the HC job. There were a lot of little things on his way out the door, how things were left, and once he got to AA that, innocent/normal as they may be, soured some Tech fans to him. All that is that is in the past.

The thing that gets me the most about the AD/HC is they need 2 games in AA to even considering playing 1 game in Houghton. We finally had them scheduled in Houghton in 2020, Covid happened, and now Tech can't get U of MI to Houghton. Getting them out of Yost is like pulling teeth without anesthesia.
                            That's fair. If anything, that should be overlooked for every single school inside Michigan. Even if Wayne St restarted their program.

Comment

• Good crowd after all.

Comment

• I know the tech AD said that U-M, Tech and state are working on keeping the GLI together but I just don't buy that it's gonna last.

To me it no longer makes sense to play in this thing with the talent we are bringing in on a yearly basis since a huge number of players are busy at WJCs.
                                ---
                                National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                                Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                                19 Conference Championships
                                10 Conference Tournament Championships
                                2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X