No announcement yet.

The Barr Has Been Raised at UMaine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't think Maine played badly, there just wasn't any room on the ice. Lowell plugs it up and did so all game.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
      I didn't think Maine played badly, there just wasn't any room on the ice. Lowell plugs it up and did so all game.
      Agreed. Maine is playing winning hockey right now. If they play like this in the HE tourney....they will have a good shot at advancing in the HE tourney until they get matched up with BU.

Comment

• Just bought tickets for friday night, our first trip to the whit.
        Unh is recently playing good hockey, a split this weekend would be ok with me, no points would make for a tough weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
          Just bought tickets for friday night, our first trip to the whit.
          Unh is recently playing good hockey, a split this weekend would be ok with me, no points would make for a tough weekend.
          Hopefully it’s a good atmosphere. Back in the day going to games there was so much fun and you couldn’t get tickets for love or money.

Maine is in a really interesting place in the standings. They could easily drop to tenth if they struggle and could also easily move up to sixth place. If they could finish sixth and play UVM then Merrimack they would have a great shot of making the garden. BC or UMA could be tricky for BU in the quarters. I think if Maine stays healthy and keeps playing decent hockey they have a legit shot in the hockey East tourney.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Hopefully it’s a good atmosphere. Back in the day going to games there was so much fun and you couldn’t get tickets for love or money.

Maine is in a really interesting place in the standings. They could easily drop to tenth if they struggle and could also easily move up to sixth place. If they could finish sixth and play UVM then Merrimack they would have a great shot of making the garden. BC or UMA could be tricky for BU in the quarters. I think if Maine stays healthy and keeps playing decent hockey they have a legit shot in the hockey East tourney.
            I agree in your logic here. If you can find a way to get to sixth and avoid a potential quarterfinal at BU or NU it would make the chances of getting to Boston a bit easier. Getting to sixth will not be easy. All year I thought the UNH weekend would be a good shot at some wins but UNH has won a few in a row and against good teams so I am thinking a split this weekend would be good. To get to sixth Maine at minimum I think needs to win 4 of the final 6 games. Split this weekend and need to win 3 of 4 at home. With that they would need Providence to lose a couple which is certainly possible since they have to play Lowell and BU. It is all about playing good hockey at the right time of year and outside BU, Maine has the best record in Hockey East since December 1. Hot goalie and some confidence, especially now not having a three game series in the playoffs, anything can happen. But I digress, thinking a bit far ahead here but hopefully they can take care of business on the way out here in the regular season.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
              Kind of a frustrating ending, but Maine was the better team in this game, and they improved as they went along. A point is better than no points.

I was sitting just behind the goal when Ostman made that stop at the end of regulation. I knew right away that he had kept it out, but it was no doubt an incredible stop.
              It was the save of the year. After seeing the replay several times I am not sure you could convince me that the puck wasn't all the way across the line just based on where his glove was. Logic would tell you that if his glove is behind the line the puck had to but lucky for Maine the call on the ice was no goal and it was by definition inconclusive. Regardless, the effort for Ostman to get across and even make it that close was incredible!

Comment

• Originally posted by MoxieMan21 View Post

It was the save of the year. After seeing the replay several times I am not sure you could convince me that the puck wasn't all the way across the line just based on where his glove was. Logic would tell you that if his glove is behind the line the puck had to but lucky for Maine the call on the ice was no goal and it was by definition inconclusive. Regardless, the effort for Ostman to get across and even make it that close was incredible!
                No way the ref could tell where the puck was other than in Ostmans glove, Ostmans body was in the way of the refs view.
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Projecting into the tourney is a little early at this point. Lol. They have six more conf games to deal with, everyone will be tough and every team is hungry now. If they win the first round tourney game Id be happy. How many of those did the prior regime win? Even though the format changed. Without looking it up I cant think of any off the top of the head.
                  Last edited by NorthMike; 02-13-2023, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I believe the team won a first round series in 2 of 8 years. (13-14 - single game vs Merrimack) (17-18 swept UNH)

I’m really happy with where the team is at, I thought they played well yesterday but Lowell is stingy as always.

I agree with everything above, if they can avoid BU, the garden is a possibility. Maine just doesn’t matchup well with them. I personally would like to avoid Merrimack as well, I don’t see Maine winning at Lawler. *if Maine makes it to the second round,* I think the ideal second round matchup is UConn, Maine played them really hard back in November and Maine has improved greatly since then.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

I believe the team won a first round series in 2 of 8 years. (13-14 - single game vs Merrimack) (17-18 swept UNH)

I’m really happy with where the team is at, I thought they played well yesterday but Lowell is stingy as always.

I agree with everything above, if they can avoid BU, the garden is a possibility. Maine just doesn’t matchup well with them. I personally would like to avoid Merrimack as well, I don’t see Maine winning at Lawler. *if Maine makes it to the second round,* I think the ideal second round matchup is UConn, Maine played them really hard back in November and Maine has improved greatly since then.
                      I think it would be unanimous that we all want to avoid having to play on Comm Ave in the tourney, provided they win the first game. But I actually think they can take on and beat the Warriors at Lawler, MC has been sliding since Christmas and the first of two games down there was competitive. I would much rather see the team go back to Lawler to potentially avenge last year than have to go to the house of horrors known as Matthews Arena.

Comment

• I have to believe you guys are ecstatic with the job Barr is doing...

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          I have to believe you guys are ecstatic with the job Barr is doing...
                          Cautiously optimistic. The last 15 or so years has hardened me.
                          Last edited by NorthMike; 02-14-2023, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Cautiously optimistic. The last 15 or so years has hardened me.
                            Saw your team last Friday. Best I've seen them play in a long time. Breen is outstanding. Ostman excellent. Barr's track record is proven. You guys are on the way back.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

I think it would be unanimous that we all want to avoid having to play on Comm Ave in the tourney, provided they win the first game. But I actually think they can take on and beat the Warriors at Lawler, MC has been sliding since Christmas and the first of two games down there was competitive. I would much rather see the team go back to Lawler to potentially avenge last year than have to go to the house of horrors known as Matthews Arena.
                              I second this. I would much rather play at Merrimack than Northeastern. Heck.....I'd almost rather play BU than NU.

Comment

• BU came in last - by a lot - in the Crock Pot. NU won it. I'm all for avoiding NU.
                                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Working...
                                X