This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

They have money but the cost of construction has gone up considerably so I doubt the plans can be done with the money they have. That means either they change the plans, change the order of the plans or raise more money. No matter what I see delays in execution.
    It’s easy for two years to turn into five. I would think the Alfond is a tough spot to build where a lot of it underground on the side of a hill.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

It’s easy for two years to turn into five. I would think the Alfond is a tough spot to build where a lot of it underground on the side of a hill.
      I don't think Alfonds location changes anything, they new that when plans came out. Costs of materials for construction, shortage of manpower are 2 of the bigger issues.
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Its currently in the design engineering phase. This will provide the final construction details necessary to establish a much closer project cost. What we have seen to date is the conceptual layout. When the design work is done they will be in a much better position to understand the money end of things and hopefully publicly provide a more accurate project time frame than what has been provided to date.

The shawn walsh ctr (where 95% of the upgrades are for the alfond) changes will be a bit disruptive for a while and will be more costly to build up and out on vs over on a nice undeveloped green field area. But it is what they have to work with and will be a much needed upgrade when done.
        Last edited by NorthMike; 01-06-2023, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

You are absolutely correct. Woodcock admits in the youtube update from nov that they have more fundraising to do and costs are not where they were when they did the initial layout. The alfond money is based on matching fund formulas.

They will get there but longer than hoped for. I wont be surprised if they delay or downsize some of the later projects like the old memorial gym rehab.
          Totally agree with this. Not sure what their exact plans for Memorial Gym are but it might be more feasible to include some of that stuff in the new basketball facility. I think that they've put enough lipstick on the pig.

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post

Totally agree with this. Not sure what their exact plans for Memorial Gym are but it might be more feasible to include some of that stuff in the new basketball facility. I think that they've put enough lipstick on the pig.
            I wonder if it might make sense just to replace the Alfond? By the time the renovations are done it likely will be close to 50 years old. Instead of putting more money into it maybe that money is better spent on a new facility? For the record I def don’t want to see the Alfond go away but understand it won’t last forever.

Comment

Wait, the Alfond is on a hill? When the f<"k did that happen?
              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Ostman back in goal tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post

Wait, the Alfond is on a hill? When the f<"k did that happen?
                  Ice tilts some nights too.
                  Ok someone had to say it.

Comment

• Actually playing a team with a worse power play.
                    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Maine still can't finish, much like the Gendron teams, but they keep at it better.

Not a bad game to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Ice tilts some nights too.
                        Ok someone had to say it.
                        We used to climb the Alfond on our ways back from Old Town to Corbett Hall, way back when.

Then, UMO varnished the flying buttresses.

Found that out the hard way. :P

Comment

• Ostman's shutout streak is over at 159:35 (by my count). Third longest in school history.

He's been so locked in lately, great to see!

Comment

• Maine PP is locked in the basement

Comment

• Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post
                              Ostman's shutout streak is over at 159:35 (by my count). Third longest in school history.

He's been so locked in lately, great to see!
                              I expected him to be solid enough this year but he has truly been great. He’s been by far Maine’s best player and without him Maine probably only has a few wins.

It would be nice to see Maine score more goals like Alaska’s second.

Comment

• Nice penalty to take to give up 2 minutes of the major
                                Last edited by walrus; 01-07-2023, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X