Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Did he?
    Obviously you haven't been paying attention. Anyway....Twitter is already depressing enough....so I think I'll just wish y'all a Merry Christmas (hope I didn't offend any of you!) and take a break from this bastion of negativity.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post
      It’s hard to argue against Ralph as a successful AD. I don’t know how instrumental he was in landing the Alfond donation but it happened on his watch so he deserves some credit.

He hired some really bright young coaches and the master plan was developed under his leadership. I have no problems with that guy and if the new guy is like him, I’d be pretty pleased.
      Ken was the best AD we have had since before James, Abbott, Creech ( cant recall who was before James, lol). Including as you mentioned and the way he hired Barr was superb!

It was really unfortunate that he left, all I can think is that job must be really frustrating. He certainly knew what was needed.

Larry's article on the new AD is pretty accurate.

Wish Killy all the best and hope he does good here.
      Last edited by NorthMike; 12-16-2022, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post

If you think that 36 to 50 is mentally and physically the same as 50 to 65.....I've got some oceanfront property to sell you in Arizona. I just don't see someone who is obsessed with "moving up" staying at Miami of Ohio for 15 years through his 30s and 40s. And at 50 he is taking a position in Orono, Maine that only pays $250K??? He will pocket $1.25 million if he stays for 5 years....I'm OK with that. That sees us through a good chunk of new facility development. Maybe once his daughters graduate he will want to take a position where he wants to retire....wherever that may be.
        I'm a much simpler guy than you seem to realize. You keep reading far more into my writing than I've put there. All I said was that there are fifteen years between 36 and 50 as well as between 50 and 65. Nothing more, and certainly not all that you (mis)read into it. All I'm saying is that I don't expect him to last. And if I correctly understand your comments about 5 years' earnings and taking another "position where he wants to retire," we're actually in agreement.
        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Worth watching the facility plan webinar done Nov 18.
          About minute 53 Barr comes on and has some interesting input and comparisons of our player facilities vs other hock east teams. We need this renovation!!

In the middle somewhere is more detail on the Shawn Walsh ctr renovations. The more I see of this the more I understand how important it is to upgrade the player facilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaHo...ndex=1&t=2491s
          Last edited by NorthMike; 12-18-2022, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
            Worth watching the facility plan webinar done Nov 18.
            About minute 53 Barr comes on and has some interesting input and comparisons of our player facilities vs other hock east teams. We need this renovation!!

In the middle somewhere is more detail on the Shawn Walsh ctr renovations. The more I see of this the more I understand how important it is to upgrade the player facilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaHo...ndex=1&t=2491s
            Don't they have to get certain amount of donations before the 90 million kicks in? Like 20 million and of that they have raised 12 million. Thats leaves a lot fund raising to go. Hopefully someone comes up with the dough quickly. Maybe a large Christmas present.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

Don't they have to get certain amount of donations before the 90 million kicks in? Like 20 million and of that they have raised 12 million. Thats leaves a lot fund raising to go. Hopefully someone comes up with the dough quickly. Maybe a large Christmas present.
              Yes, they go over some of that in the video. The different project phases have match requirements that are at various levels right now. They do have a long way to go with raising funding for some of the phases. The final amounts are sketchy because of how construction costs have increased and they need to complete the designs for the next up phases. They have funding for the softball field (almost done), field hockey (started that a few weeks back and should be done for fall season), and the alfond video/sound stuff (for next season). The shawn walsh ctr and alfond facility improvements did get approval for proceeding with the design work which is underway.

Bottom line is I think folks at Umaine would be ecstatic if this was all done in ten years.
              Last edited by NorthMike; 12-20-2022, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• Tuesday afternoon press conference with new UMaine AD Jude Killy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bnfjBY8muM

Well that was a bit different....and actually a breath of fresh air in some regards. Killy was very emotional at times when reflecting and thanking those that have inspired him in life and his career. His mom and dad as well as in-laws are teachers/college professors....as is his wife. As he said....he has been around higher education his entire life. I think that he is going to be popular with the academic and administrative community....which will hopefully benefit the dept. with more support from an area of the university that has been lukewarm to cool at times in the past. He seems very approachable and is obviously intelligent.

It will be interesting to see how he handles fundraising.....I don't see him as being a wine & dine salesman like Ken Ralph. Seems to me that he will be a bit more straight forward.

Any thoughts from the rest of you that may have watched or will watch this?

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

According to my alum magazine, alumni Phillip and Susan Morse recently donated $10 mil for the new athletics arena as part of the $90 mil challenge grant. Morse credits Alfond with him becoming a part owner of the Red Sox in 2002.

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                    Tuesday afternoon press conference with new UMaine AD Jude Killy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bnfjBY8muM

Well that was a bit different....and actually a breath of fresh air in some regards. Killy was very emotional at times when reflecting and thanking those that have inspired him in life and his career. His mom and dad as well as in-laws are teachers/college professors....as is his wife. As he said....he has been around higher education his entire life. I think that he is going to be popular with the academic and administrative community....which will hopefully benefit the dept. with more support from an area of the university that has been lukewarm to cool at times in the past. He seems very approachable and is obviously intelligent.

It will be interesting to see how he handles fundraising.....I don't see him as being a wine & dine salesman like Ken Ralph. Seems to me that he will be a bit more straight forward.

Any thoughts from the rest of you that may have watched or will watch this?
                    Watched it and he left me with how I originally felt about this AD appointment, meh. Hope I'm wrong really, and will give him time and a fair chance. Hope he does well, really, we need a good AD right now.

He appears to be a nice and approachable guy. He seemed fairly nervous, which was surprising, he better get comfortable quickly.
                    His family, wife and kids seem to be well rooted in Oxford, thought he said she is a professor at Miami. Just dont see a full embracement of this area by the family, they will always have a foot elsewhere. Moving to Bangor from mid Ohio is a real culture change. Depending on folks background some enjoy it some hate it. Its hardest on the family, he will be plenty busy at work.
                    I was thinking during this, is this simply a hopeful stepping stone job for him to go back and be the AD at Miami when the current guy retires or moves??

Time will tell what type of AD he will be, will he support good coaches as needed to keep them here and not be afraid to move on from an unsuccessful coach?? Is he an administrator and cheerleader type or a leader who can promote and sell the right kind of improvement to the decision makers??

I'm with you, be interesting to see how he will do with fundraising, a huge challenge for this job.

Its a success if he simply moves the needle in the right direction before he moves on, and doesn't mess up hockey or the successful women's sports. Anything more than that will be a pleasant surprise for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Watched it and he left me with how I originally felt about this AD appointment, meh. Hope I'm wrong really, and will give him time and a fair chance. Hope he does well, really, we need a good AD right now.

He appears to be a nice and approachable guy. He seemed fairly nervous, which was surprising, he better get comfortable quickly.
                      His family, wife and kids seem to be well rooted in Oxford, thought he said she is a professor at Miami. Just dont see a full embracement of this area by the family, they will always have a foot elsewhere. Moving to Bangor from mid Ohio is a real culture change. Depending on folks background some enjoy it some hate it. Its hardest on the family, he will be plenty busy at work.
                      I was thinking during this, is this simply a hopeful stepping stone job for him to go back and be the AD at Miami when the current guy retires or moves??

Time will tell what type of AD he will be, will he support good coaches as needed to keep them here and not be afraid to move on from an unsuccessful coach?? Is he an administrator and cheerleader type or a leader who can promote and sell the right kind of improvement to the decision makers??

I'm with you, be interesting to see how he will do with fundraising, a huge challenge for this job.

Its a success if he simply moves the needle in the right direction before he moves on, and doesn't mess up hockey or the successful women's sports. Anything more than that will be a pleasant surprise for me.
                      Not sure what his wife teaches or what her research interests are but Orono needs professors also so maybe she fits here.
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Welcome back, hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and holiday season. It's game day again tomorrow, any thoughts or expectations for the guys this weekend? I think this is a great measuring stick game in terms of their ability to beat teams close to their caliber, especially being on the road. I'm expecting a split this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                          Welcome back, hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and holiday season. It's game day again tomorrow, any thoughts or expectations for the guys this weekend? I think this is a great measuring stick game in terms of their ability to beat teams close to their caliber, especially being on the road. I'm expecting a split this weekend.
                          Welcome back everyone. I’m excited to see the boys play tomorrow, I’m planning on making the trip.
                          Given how they finished the first half, it’s hard not to be optimistic. A split is and should be the expectation here, they’re playing a team of similar talent level. Hopefully we see some of the same play from the first half carryover. I don’t think anyone expects this team to make a run but I would like to see them break into the top 30 in the pairwise and remain there for the rest of the year.

Comment

• Friends and family crowd at Colgate. Maine should get a split or better this weekend. Colgate is schizophrenic, with wins against top 10 teams like Harvard and Merrimack, but losses to Vermont and swept by Niagara.

Maine with a five-minute power play early on. This is a golden opportunity.

Comment

• I need to preface this by admitting I haven't been watching the game, so I dont know how its actually looked on the ice. But following live stats, it seemed to suddenly click why they're trailing and have allowed two goals in the first period when I saw the name "J. Mucitelli" in the box score.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                                I need to preface this by admitting I haven't been watching the game, so I dont know how its actually looked on the ice. But following live stats, it seemed to suddenly click why they're trailing and have allowed two goals in the first period when I saw the name "J. Mucitelli" in the box score.
                                Yeah, he let in two softies, then made two great stops.

Barr really needs to recruit better 'tending in the off-season, no matter what.

Happy to see Maine playing better than any Red team, though. And plenty of good seats still available here lol!

Comment

Working...
                                X