The Barr Has Been Raised at UMaine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PullTheGoalie View Post
    Some of you here had mentioned that it wouldn't be long until Blake James revealed his true self to the people at BC. It was quite a faux pas he made during his speech the other night during the Jerry York ceremony. James expressed to York how much "Boston College University" appreciated his long service. That's just not a mistake the diehard Eagles can let go.
    His hiring is one of the more surprising things I’ve seen in college sports. It’s not like he just wasn’t a good AD, he was absolutely awful. I would have been surprised if he went to a smaller school like Merrimack or Bentley but to go to a a school with the resources of BC is shocking. Maybe he did something good after Maine, I didn’t follow his career at all, but I doubt it.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by PullTheGoalie View Post
      Some of you here had mentioned that it wouldn't be long until Blake James revealed his true self to the people at BC. It was quite a faux pas he made during his speech the other night during the Jerry York ceremony. James expressed to York how much "Boston College University" appreciated his long service. That's just not a mistake the diehard Eagles can let go.
      I was watching the game, and was astounded to see the hire.

Looks like BC is jumping from the frying pan into the the fire.

A head-scratcher.

Comment

• No College or University in their right mind would hire Blake James to any position let alone AD. He screwed UMaine by pushing the Kings out the door.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
          No College or University in their right mind would hire Blake James to any position let alone AD. He screwed UMaine by pushing the Kings out the door.
          No one fails upwards like Blake James

Comment

• From Larry: "Jude Killy, the deputy director of athletics at Miami University in Ohio, will be the new athletic director at the University of Maine, according to a person with knowledge of the hiring process."
            "Killy has been at Miami University in Ohio since 2008 and has received five promotions during his time there.
            He has overseen the everyday operations of the athletic department, including athletic development, equipment and the budget, and has been the top sports administrator for the football, men’s basketball, baseball and men’s swimming and diving teams."

Short timer here.
            Not impressed.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
              From Larry: "Jude Killy, the deputy director of athletics at Miami University in Ohio, will be the new athletic director at the University of Maine, according to a person with knowledge of the hiring process."
              "Killy has been at Miami University in Ohio since 2008 and has received five promotions during his time there.
              He has overseen the everyday operations of the athletic department, including athletic development, equipment and the budget, and has been the top sports administrator for the football, men’s basketball, baseball and men’s swimming and diving teams."

Short timer here.
              Not impressed.
              At least he comes from a Hockey school. No one is staying in Orono, simple as that

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

At least he comes from a Hockey school. No one is staying in Orono, simple as that
                Well Miami does have a hockey team, according to the family alum its a football basketball school with hockey low in the priorities. They do have a nice hockey facility.
                Yes of course no one will stay as AD here very long.
                What a tough job to step into right now. Needing to raise how many millions for the facility plan, needing to find money to pay coaches more, etc.
                All we can hope for is he moves the needle a little in a good direction and doesn't do any damage like some past ADs.
                Let the coaches coach and pay them competitively.

Comment

Well Miami does have a hockey team, according to the family alum its a football basketball school with hockey low in the priorities. They do have a nice hockey facility.
                  Yes of course no one will stay as AD here very long.
                  What a tough job to step into right now. Needing to raise how many millions for the facility plan, needing to find money to pay coaches more, etc.
                  All we can hope for is he moves the needle a little in a good direction and doesn't do any damage like some past ADs.
                  Let the coaches coach and pay them competitively.
                  Paying coaches will be tough thats for sure.

Comment

• Am I missing something here? All of Maine's major coaches are relatively new hires with pay increases compared to their predecessors. They've already raised at least $113 million plus.....or $13 of the $20 million required to match the $90 million from Alfond. Killy is 50ish and was at Miami since 2008......that doesn't exactly scream revolving door. You guys need to settle down.

Comment

From Larry: "Jude Killy, the deputy director of athletics at Miami University...

Short timer here.
                      Not impressed.
                      I read, "Miami" and gasped. Then got to the Ohio bit and relaxed.

bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                        ... Killy is 50ish and was at Miami since 2008......that doesn't exactly scream revolving door. You guys need to settle down.
                        It's not the total length of tenure at Miami but the number of different jobs. He's still young and is a climber - not that there's anything wrong with that as many of us are looking for the next step up. It's simply that UM AD is not the pinnacle position in his profession. As AD, there's no room for a promotion like he had at Miami, so the next logical step up is to step out. Five years max. The only way he becomes a lifer, IMO, is if he tanks and can't get another job. And we definitely don't want that.

On the other hand, his name brings up memories of one of my sports heroes: Jean-Claude Killy, who didn't simply win 3 gold medals in skiing at the 1968 Olympics - he won all of the skiing events for men.
                        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                          Am I missing something here? All of Maine's major coaches are relatively new hires with pay increases compared to their predecessors. They've already raised at least $113 million plus.....or $13 of the $20 million required to match the $90 million from Alfond. Killy is 50ish and was at Miami since 2008......that doesn't exactly scream revolving door. You guys need to settle down.
                          Yeah I don’t think it’s fair to assume this guy is going to jump at the first opportunity.

Personally, I think the athletics department is in the best shape it’s been in 15 years. We have a ton of young, ambitious coaches. Ken Ralph left this thing in pretty good shape. I still wonder why he left, I hope it wasn’t over disagreements with higher ups and their view of athletics.

The lack of progress on the alfond donation and facilities master plan is a bit concerning. Granted I haven’t been on campus since summer 2021 but last I heard the softball field is the only thing that’s really made progress. I just hope they don’t run out of money before they get to the hockey Renovations since it seemed like they were later down the line.

Comment

Well Miami does have a hockey team, according to the family alum its a football basketball school with hockey low in the priorities.
                            That's not accurate. Hockey is absolutely a priority at Miami. Miami spends more on - and generates more revenue from - hockey than it does basketball...

Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

The lack of progress on the alfond donation and facilities master plan is a bit concerning. Granted I haven’t been on campus since summer 2021 but last I heard the softball field is the only thing that’s really made progress. I just hope they don’t run out of money before they get to the hockey Renovations since it seemed like they were later down the line.
                              I havent watched it yet but for those interested this is the latest on the facility plan.
                              "Building the Future for UMaine Athletics" Webinar
                              Posted On the Umaine alumni YouTube from the Nov 18 webinar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaHoGyGXa-8

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

That's not accurate. Hockey is absolutely a priority at Miami. Miami spends more on - and generates more revenue from - hockey than it does basketball...
                                OK my bad. We must be working off old information, our Miami alum has been out of there for a few years.
                                Last edited by NorthMike; 12-14-2022, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X