Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    5-1 the final. On to Quinnipiac.
    And Quinnipiac pretty much took it to North Dakota in Grand Forks tonight 6-2.

Comment

• UMA beat Denver again, wow.. Its early yet but losing to Bentley sucks. Looks like the team still has no offense to speak of. We need snipers, I suspect like the recent past their aren't many on the team . Hopefully its early season jitters and not the sign of things to come. Quinnipiac will be tough.
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
        UMA beat Denver again, wow.. Its early yet but losing to Bentley sucks. Looks like the team still has no offense to speak of. We need snipers, I suspect like the recent past their aren't many on the team . Hopefully its early season jitters and not the sign of things to come. Quinnipiac will be tough.
        Disagree with this. Bentley packed it in and Maine couldn’t cope. The one thing I would criticize Maine for is not working hard enough defensively. In the last couple years Maine hasn’t been the better team in a many games so last night was kind of a different experience.

As frustrated as I was leaving the game an hour or two later I was feeling much better given the impression the freshmen made on me. They can all play and will form a solid foundation for the future. With both Timmy and Red they brought in quite a few guys who obviously weren’t good enough, that wasn’t the case with any of the guys I saw last night.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Disagree with this. Bentley packed it in and Maine couldn’t cope. The one thing I would criticize Maine for is not working hard enough defensively. In the last couple years Maine hasn’t been the better team in a many games so last night was kind of a different experience..
          They lost 5-1 and you think Maine was the better team?

Comment

They lost 5-1 and you think Maine was the better team?
            They absolutely were, but the better team doesn’t always win.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

..... Its early yet but losing to Bentley sucks. Looks like the team still has no offense to speak of. We need snipers, I suspect like the recent past their aren't many on the team........
              Agree, no snipers. At this moment this team has no offense. Hopefully, as the season progresses a couple of players will develop like Spencer Abbott and Brian Flynn did. Last night's loss was very disappointing. The key will be having players develop over the first two years. Time will tell.

Comment

They absolutely were, but the better team doesn’t always win.
                go troll the cafe

Comment

Disagree with this. Bentley packed it in and Maine couldn’t cope. The one thing I would criticize Maine for is not working hard enough defensively. In the last couple years Maine hasn’t been the better team in a many games so last night was kind of a different experience.

As frustrated as I was leaving the game an hour or two later I was feeling much better given the impression the freshmen made on me. They can all play and will form a solid foundation for the future. With both Timmy and Red they brought in quite a few guys who obviously weren’t good enough, that wasn’t the case with any of the guys I saw last night.
                  First paragraph: bahahahahaha!! What a clown.

Second paragraph: did Mrs. Whitehead-Gendron just say say something nice about Coach Barr?? Wow!
                  bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                  SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                  All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                  A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

UMA beat Denver again, wow.. Its early yet but losing to Bentley sucks. Looks like the team still has no offense to speak of. We need snipers, I suspect like the recent past their aren't many on the team . Hopefully its early season jitters and not the sign of things to come. Quinnipiac will be tough.
                    Bentley has not been a good team in over a decade, but has had some success against HEA teams, now 11-28-2 all time, with its only winning record against Maine, 2-1. Bentley is even with UNH (2-2), UMass (1-1), and BC (1-1), has not played PC or UConn (since those Huskies left AHC for HEA in 2014/15 season), and has losing records against NU (3-7-2), UML (1-6), Mac (0-6), UVM (0-2), and BU (1-2).
                    Last edited by Snively65; 10-17-2022, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• https://www.bangordailynews.com/2022...am-n6hjn1me0n/

What did the University of Maine men’s hockey team learn about itself during Saturday’s 5-1 loss to Atlantic Hockey team Bentley?

If it continues to play that way, it will validate what all the Hockey East coaches and media members felt when they voted in the two preseason polls: you’re nothing more than a last-place team.

This once-elite program hasn’t accomplished anything in 10 years.

It went from a program that produced 18 NCAA Tournament appearances between the 1986-87 and 2011-12 seasons — which included 11 Frozen Fours, five NCAA championship game appearances and two national titles — into a program that hasn’t even reached the Hockey East semifinals and NCAA tourney since 2012.

Comment

• I can see them losing their next 6 games

Comment

My wife has Disney not sure what tier, I asked if got ESPN+ she said no so I guess I'll have to upgrade. Will games be available afterwards? I'd like to get rid of cable and just stream stuff but like my DVR

UMA beat Denver and Michigan spanked BU. Looks like UMA is going to be good again this year
                          Just upgraded so I can watch the FA Cup and checked the on-demand lineup. All the games carried by the ESPN networks this season (men's and women's) are available, including the exhibition game against PEI. If you feel so inclined, you can even watch a game between West Virginia and Liberty....

Comment

I can see them losing their next 6 games
                            The next 8 are pretty tough if you include the weekend at Merrimack.

I think there is a bit of overreacting going on. Obviously it was a terrible loss and that’s a game we should have. At the same time, it’s the third game of the year. They’ve played well in 2 out of 3 and they haven’t played a home game yet.

The first period was good, as was the majority of the third. Mucitelli struggled which to me is a bigger issue. They need to have good goaltending, I figure we see Ostman on Friday.

It’s time to put the Breen, Houle and Poisson line back together and they need to produce. The freshman line of Freel, Pabich and Kiecker Olson has been the best so far this year. They already have an identity and they get to the front of the net.

Bad game? Yes. A sign of things to come? I don’t think so. I think they get somewhat back on track this weekend with a split against a really good QU team.

Comment

• That's correct but the landscape of hockey has changed a lot since you guys were great. Today all the schools are loaded with great tallent and top draft picks, in places like QU and UMass so it's different

Comment

• Originally posted by RossiRules View Post

That's correct but the landscape of hockey has changed a lot since you guys were great. Today all the schools are loaded with great tallent and top draft picks, in places like QU and UMass so it's different
                                Many things are different, both internally and externally. The athletics department, and the university as a whole, has been rudderless for the best part of this century. The hockey program used to be a cash cow of the university but I don't think it has turned a profit since 2017 or 2018. Last time I bothered to look the athletics budget was about $15M in the red. The school ****ed off its most prominent and generous booster, the student radio station doesn't even acknowledge we have a hockey team anymore and the commercial radio network is quite frankly a joke that even my Alexa can't find. No one has bothered to update USCHO or CHN about the change; hell CHN still has links to a nonexistent Yahoo streaming page! More programs exist now, and many more of them are competitive. In our day, there were about 45 programs and really only a dozen or so were serious about the sport. The EZAC had become Hockey East's little brother and the western conferences were top heavy. The 1992-93 team had players sitting next to me in street clothes that would have been first or second line at most other schools. We stocked up on blue chippahs like we were stocking a freezer before a blizzard. Now there are more than 60 programs with the majority of them competing, offering max scholarships and even extra incentives.

Whether Barr can turn things around remains to be seen. I looked back and we're coming up on the eighth anniversary of my infamous "**** or get off the pot" post about UMaine athletics that cost me a fair number of friends because they'd rather labor under the impression that everything is fine and we just need to give it more time. Eight years later and we're still waiting. I closed that post with the warning that Maine hockey was going to become the laughingstock of Hockey East that Merrimack and UMass used to be. Successive last place finishes will just be the latest embarrassment.

Comment

Working...
                                X