This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
    Maine played with a lot of grit and appeared to have good overall speed. Hard to know when seeing them play in only one game against a team I know nothing about. Maine was one for 11 on the PP and scored the only goal of the game while on the PP. Had a couple of 5 on 3 as well. It was a very physical game but I didn't think Maine committed any stupid penalties. Both goal tenders (Ostman and Mucitelli), played well as evidenced by the shutout. There were no one or two players who really stood out to me. Playing Air Force and the national champion will be a real challenge for this team. I saw 10 students sitting behind the PEI bench get ejected. I don't think I have ever seen that many before.
    They skated well and they played really hard against a physical PEI team. PEI played an edgy game and Maine didn’t get roped into a lot of that nonsense which I really liked.

The freshmen d men look D1 ready. I was impressed by Arnott, Chabrier, Holt and Antonacci. The future is definitely bright on defense.

The forwards worked really hard, they still lack that finesse around the net but I think we all knew that wouldn’t change overnight. From what I saw, this team is gonna be able to roll 4 lines every night and is going to be tough to beat. I think once Houle, Hebert and Henbrant join the lineup, the lines will look much different and I expect to see a different bottom 6 almost every night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
      I saw 10 students sitting behind the PEI bench get ejected. I don't think I have ever seen that many before.
      Hopefully that's an aberration. The fact that the Maine students have always been clean in their language while being passionate and loud has always been a great strength on the ice.
      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• The search for a new AD begins.

From the Athletics Department:
        The search committee is chaired by John Volin, UMaine executive vice president for academic affairs and provost, and will be assisted by search firm Collegiate Sports Associates.

Finalists are expected to visit campus by mid-November, with a decision on the next UMaine athletics director anticipated in early December.

The committee members are: Faculty Senate president MJ Sedlock; co-leads of the Harold Alfond Foundation athletics initiative - professor Judith Rosenbaum-Andre and senior associate athletic director Seth Woodcock; UMaine coaches Josette Babineau, Ben Barr and Amy Vachon; assistant professor Muralee Das; Academic Support Services director Ann Maxim; former dean Anne Pooler; student-athletes Fofo Adetogun and Tiana Bucknor; and Hall of Fame athletes Emily Ellis, Chris Keating and Jack Leggett

Comment

• I took a look through the BCHL statistics through 4 games. Josh and Brad Nadeau are leading the league in scoring, with 10 and 9 points. The Vees are 4-0 and Hopkins and Pichette are both off to nice starts.

One thing I saw is that Grayson Arnott’s brother is on the roster this year. Callum Arnott is 18, he’ll be 19 in January. He had good stats at St. Andrew’s college and is off to a good start with 5 points in 4 games. Doesn’t appear to have committed yet so you have to figure he’s on Barr’s radar.

Another recruit, Nick Peluso, is also playing in the BCHL this year. He had a decent season in the USHL last year as a first year guy. He has 5 points through 4 games so far. He’ll be 19 in February so not sure if he’ll be in this class or the following one.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            The search for a new AD begins.

Interesting to see that Barr, Babineau and Vachon are included on the committee. I try not to read too much into those things but it’s telling that it’s the two most successful coaches and the head of the program that desperately needs to be brought back.

Football and basketball coaches are brand new so wouldn’t expect them to be on there.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

Interesting to see that Barr, Babineau and Vachon are included on the committee. I try not to read too much into those things but it’s telling that it’s the two most successful coaches and the head of the program that desperately needs to be brought back.

Football and basketball coaches are brand new so wouldn’t expect them to be on there.
              I hold out hope that they'll find someone who wants to do this job for the next 20 years, not use it as a stepping stone and move on in three.

Comment

I hold out hope that they'll find someone who wants to do this job for the next 20 years, not use it as a stepping stone and move on in three.
                They should hire someone local but it will never happen. All the AD’s from away have been mediocre at best.

Has anyone heard any rumors of what happened with the old AD? Hard to believe his dream job was at some tiny school in Texas.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post
                  I took a look through the BCHL statistics through 4 games. Josh and Brad Nadeau are leading the league in scoring, with 10 and 9 points. The Vees are 4-0 and Hopkins and Pichette are both off to nice starts.

One thing I saw is that Grayson Arnott’s brother is on the roster this year. Callum Arnott is 18, he’ll be 19 in January. He had good stats at St. Andrew’s college and is off to a good start with 5 points in 4 games. Doesn’t appear to have committed yet so you have to figure he’s on Barr’s radar.

Another recruit, Nick Peluso, is also playing in the BCHL this year. He had a decent season in the USHL last year as a first year guy. He has 5 points through 4 games so far. He’ll be 19 in February so not sure if he’ll be in this class or the following one.
                  I wonder if there is much value for the Nadeaus and Hopkins playing at Penicton this year. They are so much better than all the other teams that there really isn’t that much competition in the games. The practices are probably really good though.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Geez a committee of 15 though, werent they suppose to hire an outside recruiting firm too.

Comment

The search for a new AD begins.

They need to find someone who can hit the ground running and dive right into fundraising for the athletic facility master plan and possibly make some difficult decisions (cuts?). With the cost increases....I feel like some stuff has to be on the chopping block. I think that Alfond renovations are safe and the new hoops facility will happen one way or another.....beyond those 2 and the already underway women's athletic fields....I don't see too much money left to do some of the other stuff. My feeling is that football is going to get the shaft....that program seems to be in a spiral at this point. 2 FBS games per season might pay some bills....but they are paying a heavy price in the win-loss column....and end up giving some of that money back when fans and donors turn away from the program as the losses pile up.

Comment

Disagree. In order to move onwards and upwards you need to accomplish something. I'd rather have someone come in, get some big project done, and move on. Not someone ready to kick back and coast through 20 unimpressive years. Maine is at the bottom rung of Division I. If the goal is to just tread water, well, there's the Northeast 10 right there.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Geez a committee of 15 though, werent they suppose to hire an outside recruiting firm too.
                          "...and will be assisted by search firm Collegiate Sports Associates"

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post

Disagree. In order to move onwards and upwards you need to accomplish something. I'd rather have someone come in, get some big project done, and move on. Not someone ready to kick back and coast through 20 unimpressive years. Maine is at the bottom rung of Division I. If the goal is to just tread water, well, there's the Northeast 10 right there.
                            The problem is they don't do anything big. They have plans but aren't around long enough to follow through. I'd rather they find someone with a vision of where the department will be in a decade and will still be here to see that vision realized. Instead we get someone with a vision, they plan and get started and then move on and the next person comes in with their own vision.

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                              Hopefully that's an aberration. The fact that the Maine students have always been clean in their language while being passionate and loud has always been a great strength on the ice.
                              You don't remember BU days or days before the expansion. Covering the exit off the ice for the opposing team wasn't to let them have some shade
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

The problem is they don't do anything big. They have plans but aren't around long enough to follow through. I'd rather they find someone with a vision of where the department will be in a decade and will still be here to see that vision realized. Instead we get someone with a vision, they plan and get started and then move on and the next person comes in with their own vision.
                                Well, per the BDN article on the System accreditation process today, athletics wouldn't be alone:

"The evaluation team was concerned that the university system has not had a central, strategic plan and vision in place in nearly two decades.

“Without a strategic, well communicated, and supported plan, and without clear identification of key goals, primaries and metrics and specific plans and timelines for achieving the goals it is hard for the University of Maine System to move forward in a unified way,” Gittell said."

Comment

Working...
                                X