This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Divver @MarkDivver
    Maine gets commit from '03 goalie Patriks Berzins of Latvia. Stopped 39 shots tonight in 5-2 loss to Canada at World Junior Championship

Comment

• Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post

Still can't wrap my head around the fact that Cross Insurance Center was built without ice.

I'm sure it would be a logistical nightmare to try and retrofit CIC for hockey at this point even though there is probably a good need for it in the area as Sawyer/Penobscot aren't much to write home about.

Thankfully the Alfond has a lot of good years left and it seems like the planned improvements will do a good job of extending the lifespan.
      The CIC has proven to be impossible for the school to work with re: basketball. I don't see how adding another 20 or so dates that the CIC and UMaine need to negotiate would improve matters. Hockey is also about the only sport that gets student fans. That goes away in the CIC.

Comment

• Since it's still offseason, thought I would share some off-ice news of interest to UMaine-iacs ...

Stephen King Estate Reveals He Died Years Ago And His Twitter Account Is Being Run By A Mentally Ill, Glue-Sniffing Parrot With Tourette's | Babylon Bee
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Molly Engstrom seems like an outstanding hire for the women. Great resume and pedigree.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
          43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
          104-47-14 (.669) in that time
          3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
            Molly Engstrom seems like an outstanding hire for the women. Great resume and pedigree.
            Kind of glad to see the University go with some younger hires for these coaching jobs between Barr, Markwood and now Engstrom.

Wonder if they will go a similar direction for the AD role after Ralph.

Comment

• Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post

Kind of glad to see the University go with some younger hires for these coaching jobs between Barr, Markwood and now Engstrom.

Wonder if they will go a similar direction for the AD role after Ralph.
              This AD hire is critical for hockey. It has been many years since things got lined up well like recently for hockey in AD, coach and some cash for facility improvements. The wrong AD hire could set things back or worse just send things off on a course to the next solar system.
              I'm actually concerned about it, well as concerned as much as this sort of thing deserves.
              It seems the U has no clue how to hire an AD so they are looking for a recruiting agency. It sounds like this is becoming more common practice so maybe a good move. Hopefully better results from a recruiter than the president hire for UMA.
              Last edited by NorthMike; 08-17-2022, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                It seems the U has no clue how to hire an AD so they are looking for a recruiting agency. It sounds like this is becoming more common practice so maybe a good move. Hopefully better results from a recruiter than the chancellor hire for UMA.
                UNH just went through an executive search/recruiting agency, I'm not sure it's a great idea ...
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

UNH just went through an executive search/recruiting agency, I'm not sure it's a great idea ...
                  Umaine earlier this year used an agency to recruit the umaine augusta president, complete botch job.
                  The U is apparently on the hook to pay the guy several hundred thousand dollars, up to +600,00 is one number I heard. The guy didnt even take the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                    This AD hire is critical for hockey. It has been many years since things got lined up well like recently for hockey in AD, coach and some cash for facility improvements. The wrong AD hire could set things back or worse just send things off on a course to the next solar system.
                    I'm actually concerned about it, well as concerned as much as this sort of thing deserves.
                    It seems the U has no clue how to hire an AD so they are looking for a recruiting agency. It sounds like this is becoming more common practice so maybe a good move. Hopefully better results from a recruiter than the president hire for UMA.
                    I absolute see the cause for pause with this hire. Having Ralph leading the search would be an indicator that they would want someone who shares the same vision as the coaches they have recently brought in.

That also makes me think it will make it less likely that the U tries to play it safe by luring someone like Cosgrove back from Colby which would be a clear sign that hockey will be in the rear view going forward and not something we'd want to see. I can't shake the thought that he would be on the short list though...

Comment

• Pretty scummy to announce no masks a few days after the deadline to renew season tickets. If that’s the direction they want to go fine, but don’t hold the information back.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        Pretty scummy to announce no masks a few days after the deadline to renew season tickets. If that’s the direction they want to go fine, but don’t hold the information back.
                        I think you’re reading into this. Tbh, I thought the mask mandate at UMaine had already been lifted.

I went to Providence and Merrimack last year to see games and they weren’t requiring masks. The website said that masks are welcomed but not required. At this stage of things, seems like that is the status quo. Not much to see here.

Comment

Pretty scummy to announce no masks a few days after the deadline to renew season tickets. If that’s the direction they want to go fine, but don’t hold the information back.
                          So, you didn’t want the mask mandate and refused tix in protest only to find out no mandate…
                          Or, you wanted the mask requirement
                          and are upset they aren’t mandated now that you purchased?
                          IOWs, what’s the scummy part?

$90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                          Just win.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post
                            Or, you wanted the mask requirement and are upset they aren’t mandated now that you purchased?
                            I'd guess that this is the reason he's upset. Nothing stopping Drew from rocking a mask at games as the email stated...

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post

So, you didn’t want the mask mandate and refused tix in protest only to find out no mandate…
                              Or, you wanted the mask requirement
                              and are upset they aren’t mandated now that you purchased?
                              IOWs, what’s the scummy part?
                              I can see arguments for and against a mask mandate and am not sure what the right way to go is. My beef is that they made the announcement right after the deadline. BlackBear19 could be correct that it was just coincidence but I doubt that.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I can see arguments for and against a mask mandate and am not sure what the right way to go is. My beef is that they made the announcement right after the deadline. BlackBear19 could be correct that it was just coincidence but I doubt that.
                                Agree. FWIW, after 36 consecutive years of season tixs, I declined this year. Has nothing to do with masking, but the lack of entertainment.
                                Make me WANT to go, not HAVE to go.
                                That simple.
                                $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                                Just win.....

Comment

Working...
                                X