This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    Definitely not good news for the system and finances. However, UMaine is not the problem here I don’t think. The administration has made a valiant effort over the past 5-10 years to attract kids from all over (through the tuition match, UMaine online, hiring competent leadership, etc.)

I’d imagine it’s the satellite campuses that are really struggling. Either way there’s going to be less money to go around and difficult decisions will have to be made.

https://umaine.edu/news/blog/2021/11...s-record-high/

Comment

A bit weird for me to read, because I remember when I was touring and doing orientations before my freshman year (2016), they were bragging about how my class was the "biggest freshman class of all time!" I know that I'm graduated by now, but still, from the biggest class of all time to sharp declines is a little jarring.

Comment

The Orono campus is still trending up in enrollment. What needs to be done, and has needed to be done for years is to shutter at least two of the under performing campuses which are draining money in the system. I knew Malloy was not the man for the job when he was hired. Politicians don't make difficult decisions, they pass the buck. The state of Maine can not support all of these campuses, especially in a day and age when people can take classes on line for both bachelor and associate degrees. It's time to make the hard decisions needed so the remaining campuses have the opportunity to survive, and perhaps thrive!

Jimmy must have impressed the sock off the Bruins brass. It's going to be a tough job replacing Cassidy with talent aging out. Hopefully he is up to the task and keeps leading a life dedicated to staying sober. Absolutely one of the very best leaders Maine has ever had, hope he is Boston for a long time!

Comment

• I'm not sure how long it's been out there (I've been checking every couple of days or so), but the 2022-2023 roster has been posted on the website.

https://goblackbears.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey/roster

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

Definitely not good news for the system and finances. However, UMaine is not the problem here I don’t think. The administration has made a valiant effort over the past 5-10 years to attract kids from all over (through the tuition match, UMaine online, hiring competent leadership, etc.)

I’d imagine it’s the satellite campuses that are really struggling. Either way there’s going to be less money to go around and difficult decisions will have to be made.

https://umaine.edu/news/blog/2021/11...s-record-high/
            Yeah for sure, these satellite campuses need serious rethinking. Like why would they expand engineering at usm.
            Why campuses at both fort kent and presque isle. Why Augusta.
            Its funny because I know no one who thinks the current UMS is correct.
            Last edited by NorthMike; 07-02-2022, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Yeah for sure, these satellite campuses need serious rethinking. Like why would they expand engineering at usm.
              Why campuses at both fort kent and presque isle. Why Augusta.
              Its funny because I know no one who thinks the current UMS is correct.
              I think the problem is closing them is a nonstarter politically.

The most shocking them to me in the article is the percentage of kids pursuing college. I get that it’s not for everyone but surely fewer kids getting educated isn’t a good thing.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Maine Event View Post
                I'm not sure how long it's been out there (I've been checking every couple of days or so), but the 2022-2023 roster has been posted on the website.

https://goblackbears.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey/roster
                Thanks for posting.

I’ve got a lot of mixed emotions about this year’s team. I’m excited to watch them but not really super excited about any of the new players individually except for Trudeau. It will be interesting to see who fits in where and how they do.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

The most shocking them to me in the article is the percentage of kids pursuing college. I get that it’s not for everyone but surely fewer kids getting educated isn’t a good thing.
                  Politically very difficult but not impossible.
                  Someone must have enough will to pursue the correct course, hopefully, instead of muddling along.

Comment

Thanks for posting.

I’ve got a lot of mixed emotions about this year’s team. I’m excited to watch them but not really super excited about any of the new players individually except for Trudeau. It will be interesting to see who fits in where and how they do.
                    I'm with you on that. Just hoping they finish off the season at least middle of the pack in HE, that would help set up things for the following year to hit high gear.

Thinking the Monty hire might be good for Umaine hockey by adding some additional interest within the states hockey fan base, probably more Bruins fans here than Umaine.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobF View Post
                      Jimmy must have impressed the sock off the Bruins brass. It's going to be a tough job replacing Cassidy with talent aging out. Hopefully he is up to the task and keeps leading a life dedicated to staying sober. Absolutely one of the very best leaders Maine has ever had, hope he is Boston for a long time!
                      Gosh, this is the only mention of Monty getting the Boston job in the UMaine thread. I've been away for a week, heard the news yesterday, and figured this place would be lit up. Guess not. Anyway, I think the B's have made a surprisingly brave hire here, Sweeney has definitely played his last card, and if Monty does not pay off, Sweeney is gonna be right behind him.

Another curious note, I guess showing how little college hockey registers in the bigger world of pro sports ... in everything I heard in my travels over the last 24 hours, Monty has been described as a "former Dallas head coach" and more recently as a "St. Louis assistant coach". No mention of coaching Denver to a National Title, or playing at UMaine where he won another, or where he then left the school as the program's all-time leading scorer. Not a single peep south of Portland, if not Bangor ...

... anyway, congrats and good luck to Montgomery in Boston. He's faced with a tough job, for sure.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Sam Deurr's bro signed with Umaine, might be here next year. Per Larry, Bdn.

Comment

Agreed. Perhaps more high school kids are deciding to forego being in debt for a liberal arts college degree when they are not sure what they want to do with their lives. You can make a very good living in the trades and there is plenty of opportunity.

Meanwhile: https://www.unh.edu/unhtoday/2022/05...est-class-2018
                          Last edited by Darius; 07-03-2022, 07:20 PM.
                          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Team just posted on Instagram that the schedule will be released tomorrow.

Comment

• https://goblackbears.com/sports/mens...ockey/schedule

Comment

• Ben Guite named head coach at Bowdoin: https://twitter.com/GoUBears/status/...V3PQWlWPZg4Msg

Comment

Working...
                                X