• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is cool article:

One foggy October night in Orono....

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      The ironies of how Gilligan is said to have handled the '86 UVM show, the circumstances of the hazing incident that contributed to his downfall at UVM a decade-and-a-half later, and finally the resurrection of his coaching career on the Women's side of the ledger, are collectively just downright astounding.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        Thanks for posting this. I remember the incident and knew Nate the electrician listed in the article. He was on campus for many years. I didn't know or had forgotten that Scott Hamilton was there or that the Grateful Dead had been there in 1983. I wasn't a "Dead Head" at the time. :-)

Comment

• Just got back from the Frozen Four. I saw quite a few Maine fans there and I found it encouraging that many fans of other schools came up to me and said they hoped Maine would be back in the tournament soon. I sat in a section with a huge number of Denver fans that were really obnoxious when DU started scoring in the 3rd period. One fan threw his beer in the air when DU scored the disallowed goal for goal tender interference. Many of us were cheering for the Mavericks, so it wasn't the outcome we wanted. It would be great if Maine could steal a game from DU at the Ice Breaker. I still haven't gotten over the loss to DU at the TD Garden in 2004. :-(

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post

Thanks for posting this. I remember the incident and knew Nate the electrician listed in the article. He was on campus for many years. I didn't know or had forgotten that Scott Hamilton was there or that the Grateful Dead had been there in 1983. I wasn't a "Dead Head" at the time. :-)
            Alfond electrical service was woefully undersized which is why temp electrical had to be brought it in for any type of show. Its also one of the reasons the lights used to go out several times a season and we all had to wait for the Metal Halide bulbs to cool off and then restrike and warm back up.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Should we be nervous about Barr at all with UConn, BU, Union, and Michigan State all looking for coaches? UConn is the one I worry about most but wonder if one of the other schools might make Barr an offer he can’t refuse if enough candidates don’t work out.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                Should we be nervous about Barr at all with UConn, BU, Union, and Michigan State all looking for coaches? UConn is the one I worry about most but wonder if one of the other schools might make Barr an offer he can’t refuse if enough candidates don’t work out.
                UConn is looking for a coach? Cavanaugh just signed a deal last year carrying him through the 2026 season worth $1.9 million.

Comment

UConn is looking for a coach? Cavanaugh just signed a deal last year carrying him through the 2026 season worth $1.9 million.
                  It sounds like he’ll be York’s replacement which I think makes a lot of sense for both parties.

Comment

Should we be nervous about Barr at all with UConn, BU, Union, and Michigan State all looking for coaches? UConn is the one I worry about most but wonder if one of the other schools might make Barr an offer he can’t refuse if enough candidates don’t work out.
                    Coaches who make commitments to improve your program and don't honor them would be coaches you dont want in the first. I'm sure Ben is well grounded in Orono until he finishes his job.
                    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

No, I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. Money is obviously a factor but as a first time head coach he is being paid pretty well. Also, his contract has some incentives in it. He clearly has a great relationship with Ralph so as long as he is the AD, I think he will do what it takes to keep him in Orono.

You also have to think about his life situation. He has twins that are a year old and I can’t imagine his wife is interested in uprooting again.

The pieces are in place for him to be successful at Maine. I remember when he got hired, he mentioned a conversation he had with Leaman. Leaman said Maine is an attractive job because if you win 80% of your home games and go .500 on the road, you’re a tournament team and doing that is very possible when you have a home ice like Alfond. Now all he has to do is recruit players capable of doing that which from my perspective, he has done since taking the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

No, I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. Money is obviously a factor but as a first time head coach he is being paid pretty well. Also, his contract has some incentives in it. He clearly has a great relationship with Ralph so as long as he is the AD, I think he will do what it takes to keep him in Orono.

You also have to think about his life situation. He has twins that are a year old and I can’t imagine his wife is interested in uprooting again.

The pieces are in place for him to be successful at Maine. I remember when he got hired, he mentioned a conversation he had with Leaman. Leaman said Maine is an attractive job because if you win 80% of your home games and go .500 on the road, you’re a tournament team and doing that is very possible when you have a home ice like Alfond. Now all he has to do is recruit players capable of doing that which from my perspective, he has done since taking the job.
                        The family stuff makes me nervous. I know nothing about his wife but I wouldn’t be shocked if she would be happier with him making significanly more money someplace else. He definitely could get some serious pressure from her.

Assuming he does stay there could be some really good transfers available. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

Comment

Going to BC is rumored.
                          Breaking that contract with uconn will cost BC some bucks.

He should have been behind maines bench eight years ago.

By the way good luck to York, what a great coach.
                          Last edited by NorthMike; 04-14-2022, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• Barr isn't going anywhere.

Comment

The family stuff makes me nervous. I know nothing about his wife but I wouldn’t be shocked if she would be happier with him making significanly more money someplace else. He definitely could get some serious pressure from her.

Assuming he does stay there could be some really good transfers available. It will be interesting to see how things play out.
                              The lack of success this season actually might turn out to be a blessing. If Barr had come in and won 20 games with that roster, maybe he’d be getting looked at for the BC or BU job.

His track record doesn’t include stints at any schools like that so I don’t see him being lured by the prestige of one of those schools either. I feel pretty confident will be our coach through 2025. (And hopefully beyond)

Comment

• Either way their isn't much we can do about it. if Barr is lured by more money he is gone if someone ups the ante. He isn't going to BU, BC or Michigan St. UConn?? Maybe
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X