Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point is its deeper than save percentage alone. The year Jimmy Howard set national record for save % Maine was a possession monster that outshot its opponents by 300. Thats how you tell is a great team

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Reds teams? Missing ingredients, two words: discipline and effort.
      Meanwhile: https://twitter.com/stephenking/stat...670100993?s=21
      $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
      Just win.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post
        Lol. Perfect
        Last edited by NorthMike; 03-10-2022, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
          Point is its deeper than save percentage alone. The year Jimmy Howard set national record for save % Maine was a possession monster that outshot its opponents by 300. Thats how you tell is a great team
          great defenses turn great keepers into monsters.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• What, if anything, do we expect Maine to do in the transfer portal this offseason? I wouldn't mind seeing a few extra bodies brought in, especially given how injured they were this year.
            Last edited by amkirby10; 03-10-2022, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe peter View Post

Don't get me wrong, Swayman was fantastic. But the top four teams starting goalies has save percentages of .931 (BC), .927 (UMass), .931 (UMass Lowell), and .939 (UMaine). Swayman was the leader, but Maine wasn't the only team with a goalie that stopped a lot of shots.

They were a pretty decent team in 2019-20. I don't know why no one wants to admit that.
              Maine was ranked 40th in the country in Goals For that season and were decidedly middle of the pack in Shots on Goal and all the major possession numbers. Not to mention they were 53rd in the nation in Shots Against.

Swayman carried that team so much it's a wonder he doesn't have back problems now.

So call them decent in the sense that as a whole they were in contention for the NCAA's but everyone knows why that is.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                What, if anything, do we expect Maine to do in the transfer portal this offseason? I wouldn't mind seeing a few extra bodies brought in, especially given how injured they were this year.
                I’d be okay if they didn’t do much. They definitely don’t need any dmen. If Thiessen is leaving a transfer goalie might be better than bringing in a freshman who isn’t good enough. Most of the transfers that have come in over the years have been underwhelming.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  I’d be okay if they didn’t do much. They definitely don’t need any dmen. If Thiessen is leaving a transfer goalie might be better than bringing in a freshman who isn’t good enough. Most of the transfers that have come in over the years have been underwhelming.
                  Goaltender would be an area I think I'd look to improve.

There can be some good goalies that move teams, just look at Sean Romeo leaving Maine and having success at OSU.

Could have really used him as the bridge to Swayman instead of McGovern/Morris.

Comment

• Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post

Goaltender would be an area I think I'd look to improve.

There can be some good goalies that move teams, just look at Sean Romeo leaving Maine and having success at OSU.

Could have really used him as the bridge to Swayman instead of McGovern/Morris.
                    Yeah it doesn’t make much sense to bring in a transfer forward unless they’re going to be a top 6 forward. No point in having a guy who won’t contribute much taking ice time away from promising freshmen/sophomores.

I really think Ostman can be a starting goalie but there’s talent in the portal as well. Lowell improved a lot by adding Savory from RPI. Unless you can find forwards like Newton and Jandric like Merrimack did, I think the transfer portal can potentially hurt a rebuild.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

Yeah it doesn’t make much sense to bring in a transfer forward unless they’re going to be a top 6 forward. No point in having a guy who won’t contribute much taking ice time away from promising freshmen/sophomores.

I really think Ostman can be a starting goalie but there’s talent in the portal as well. Lowell improved a lot by adding Savory from RPI. Unless you can find forwards like Newton and Jandric like Merrimack did, I think the transfer portal can potentially hurt a rebuild.
                      Ostman showed some signs that make me think he can step his game up over the next two seasons, especially with improved D in front of him. Still think having someone to push him more than Thiessen did would be a big get.

And I agree that bringing in a bunch of transfer forwards probably doesn't make any sense with such a large freshman class coming in, but maybe becomes a viable option if Maine has a couple surprise departures.
                      Last edited by tylerzx2002; 03-11-2022, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• Time for a new thread?

Comment

• A new recruit from Timmay's Kimball Union......

https://twitter.com/connerchalmers4/...40419109687296

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                            A new recruit from Timmay's Kimball Union......

Kimball Union had another great year! Lost in the semi-final to Salisbury in OT. Salisbury went on to win the title against Belmont 4-1. Tim's team went 29-3-1 and has won the Elite 8 Championship three consecutive years. Their goal tender from Quebec; Daniel Heroux (JR.), has committed to Vermont and Jaiden Moriello has committed to UMass-Lowell. Duncan Ramsay, Halifax, NS; committed to Vermont for the 2023-2024 season.
                            Last edited by Runsub5; 03-13-2022, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                              A new recruit from Timmay's Kimball Union......

Very interesting. Barr must want some of these smaller dmen to move to forward. Where he is from NH he’s probably not getting a ton of scholarship but he can pay in state tuition so is a good deal for everyone.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Very interesting. Barr must want some of these smaller dmen to move to forward. Where he is from NH he’s probably not getting a ton of scholarship but he can pay in state tuition so is a good deal for everyone.
                                If you look on his EliteProspects page, he's set to play in the BCHL next season. They really seem to like the players playing junior out there, a lot of BCHL guys on the list of future Black Bears.

Comment

Working...
                                X