Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

That was a good one!
    No reason to mock the most astute poster on this site. Pretty-much no one else here is willing (or able) to crunch the data.

End of story.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-30-2021, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• So football loses a ton of money regardless of how many FBS games it plays.

Football has also made the NCAA tournament six times this millenium (fewer than hockey!). Football has won two playoff games in the last ten years.

This is not some national power team that is getting national attention. It's a mediocre program. And it is mediocre playing playoff games on the campuses of small directional universities in rural America. It's useless.

Comment

• For me, not useless at all. I find it entertaining, and provides many HS football players a chance to continue in their sport with some getting a chance at the NFL.
        On a par with hockey as far as playing the best in the country? No. Not happening, buts that okay. Let the hockey team have a realistic goal of returning to National Championship level. Meanwhile, let the football team strive to be the best, at their level….
        $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
        Just win.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          No reason to mock the most astute poster on this site. Pretty-much no one else here is willing (or able) to crunch the data.
          Thanks for the support. It's good to know that some posters here appreciate my data crunching as stats aren't for everyone.

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          That was a good one!
          Yes, it was, which is why I wrote it the way I did. But for every school that makes money from athletics, or more specifically football and basketball, there are 44 or so that lose money. Of course, some of those, like UMass and UConn, dream of making money, but they fail to do so. However, most schools know that athletics will not make money.

Originally posted by AMC View Post
          So football loses a ton of money regardless of how many FBS games it plays.

Football has also made the NCAA tournament six times this millenium (fewer than hockey!). Football has won two playoff games in the last ten years.

This is not some national power team that is getting national attention. It's a mediocre program. And it is mediocre playing playoff games on the campuses of small directional universities in rural America. It's useless.
          Useless for what? If the purpose of Maine's athletics is to make money, then yes. If it is to raise the school's national profile then you are probably correct. If it's to give fans of football and the school games that they can watch and cheer on their team it's probably not useless. And if it's to give student athletes a chance to get an education and continue to participate in a sport they presumably enjoy then no, football at Maine is not useless.

That said, BU eliminated football back in 1997 as a cost savings measure. While some BU fans have never forgotten or forgiven the then administration for that, because of it BU currently has 22 varsity teams. Meanwhile Maine dropped soccer and volleyball back in 2009 and currently has 15 varsity teams. It's not just offering sports, but offering sports that students want to participate in, fans want to watch, and that might raise the school's national profile, among other factors.

Also, note that the NCAA financial reports don't break out earned revenue vs institutional support as I (and others) do.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
            That said, BU eliminated football back in 1997 as a cost savings measure. While some BU fans have never forgotten or forgiven the then administration for that, because of it BU currently has 22 varsity teams. Meanwhile Maine dropped soccer and volleyball back in 2009 and currently has 15 varsity teams. It's not just offering sports, but offering sports that students want to participate in, fans want to watch, and that might raise the school's national profile, among other factors.

Sean
            Fans don't want to watch anything at BU other than hockey. And fans in general don't want to watch any college sports outside of football, basketball and in select cases...hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post

Small directional universities in rural America? North Dakota....South Dakota....Montana....Delaware....UNH......those sound like peers in similar rural/small population states.

On the other hand.....Maine hockey is trying to out-do Quinnipiac....St. Cloud (D2).....Minnesota State (D2).....Michigan Tech (D2).....Bemidji State (D2).....Clarkson (?)......I'm sure that fans across America are chomping at the bit to see college hockey games with names like that.

Comment

• Sean do you have a link to financials for other schools hockey programs, expenses vs revenue? Would be interested to see how various schools stack up.

Yes, there are folks here who do appreciate your numbers. Its an impressive undertaking.
                ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Start your new year right. Begin playing the 1999 championship game at 8:45:06 and at midnight Marcus Gustafsson will win the national title.

https://youtu.be/56PyrqwF06c

Comment

Start your new year right. Begin playing the 1999 championship game at 8:45:06 and at midnight Marcus Gustafsson will win the national title.

Clever, funny and (to some) cruel, all at once. Love it. Well done, keep up the good work!

Happy New Year to the UMaine-iacs!!! :-)
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post

Not to come off as my usual AH self, but football has been in the National mix well since hockey has been, and that's completely verifiable.

Football, in fact, was one win away from another berth this season, while hockey hasn't been within a country mile of a National berth in many years.

(Was mens' soccer any good at Maine? I'm guessing that 94% of us have no idea, and that's a telling fact regarding which programs to support.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Not to come off as my usual AH self, but football has been in the National mix well since hockey has been, and that's completely verifiable.

Football, in fact, was one win away from another berth this season, while hockey hasn't been within a country mile of a National berth in many years.
                        Maine was in tournament position way back in 2020 before Coronavirus canceled everything, but that was many years ago.

Comment

Start your new year right. Begin playing the 1999 championship game at 8:45:06 and at midnight Marcus Gustafsson will win the national title.

Never gets old. Seeing the boys bring out Dickie Britts sweater makes me sad though. Nice young man taken far too early.
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Feel good article on Lynden Breen in today's BDN written by Larry Mahoney.

https://bangordailynews.com/2021/12/...am-joam40zk0w/

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                              Sean do you have a link to financials for other schools hockey programs, expenses vs revenue? Would be interested to see how various schools stack up.

Yes, there are folks here who do appreciate your numbers. Its an impressive undertaking.
                              Yes, here is my NCAA Financial spreadsheet. The link is in my sig, but if you have the forum set to shoW newest posts at the top sigs don't show (or didn't the last time I checked). The spreadsheet is updated with 2020 NCAA reports, but not the more limited EADA reports for the private schools. I requested the NCAA reports when the are usually first available last year instead of waiting until later and the government was slow to post the EADA data. I just downloaded it and now need to transcribe the information and add the additional data I either find elsewhere or extrapolate.

By the way, the columns at the far right of my spreadsheets for yearly hockey (overall profit/loss, earned profit/loss, game day profit/loss, sports camps profit/loss, Athlete Meals per Participant, tuition, total attendance, average ticket cost, year-to-year expenses change) and yearly overall (overall, earned, camps and bowls* profit/loss) are not in the reports but calculated from the information in the reports.

Sean

* I find the bowls profit/loss interesting as most of the schools report spending more on bowl games and coaches bonuses than they directly receive for playing in them. And generally the bigger the game the bigger the expenses reported and the bigger the loss. Part of that is due to bowl money that goes to the school's conference and is then split among all the conference members.
                              Last edited by Sean Pickett; 01-01-2022, 11:25 AM.

BU Hockey Games
                              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                                Fans don't want to watch anything at BU other than hockey. And fans in general don't want to watch any college sports outside of football, basketball and in select cases...hockey.

That was a good one!

Fans in general watch a number of college sports, especially in select cases, including men's lacrosse and women's volleyball.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Working...
                                X