The Barr Has Been Raised at UMaine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Short answer is this: football made it to the FCS FF a few years ago, and contends for a NCAA berth most years of late. (And don't play dumb, my brother, everyone knows that FBS losses are ignored by the selection committee. There's absolutely no reason to pass up those paydays.)

Can you say anything similiar re: hockey for, what, 15-16 years? Nope!

Football has had a few NFL players there lately. Aside from the great Swayman, hockey is absolutely not any kind of stepping-stone to the bigs any more.

Barr is going to have to do the sow's-ear silk-purse thing, just as Cosgrove and Shawn did... Then, he'll move on.
    FBS losses may be ignored, but the difference between 6 and 7 wins is a pretty bright line. By scheduling two FBS losses, you have to win 7 of your 9 FCS games.

I also think the FCS playoffs are useless as an institution.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post

FBS losses may be ignored, but the difference between 6 and 7 wins is a pretty bright line. By scheduling two FBS losses, you have to win 7 of your 9 FCS games.

I also think the FCS playoffs are useless as an institution.
      Maine won 2 FBS games a few years back. It's all about attempting to schedule the dregs of that group.

And I disagree that a 16-team football playoff is useless. I find it entertaining, myself, and the cream generally rises to the top.

I suppose that those of us who would like to see football go away are assuming that the money would automatically be funneled into hockey, but that's not the case. Maine has a number of financial Black Holes via other sports, and they must be financed under the current circumstances.

If the rules allowed, I would like to see 4 sports wearing Blue: football, men's hockey, field hockey and women's hoops. But that ain't going to happen, unless the NCAA is destroyed by the "name and likeness" thing, and the CA law allowing stipends.

(And that might well happen.)

Comment

• Hearing more through the grapevine that the attitude among the seniors on the team has been awful this year. Allegedly, they don't try in practice, they haven't been coachable, and they just show obvious lack of effort. Gotta wonder how that sort of mindset from the guys that should be your leaders is effecting the rest of the team, if its true.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
          Hearing more through the grapevine that the attitude among the seniors on the team has been awful this year. Allegedly, they don't try in practice, they haven't been coachable, and they just show obvious lack of effort. Gotta wonder how that sort of mindset from the guys that should be your leaders is effecting the rest of the team, if its true.
          Based on how Maine has looked this year it’s very believable. My guess is the beef is more with the AD than Barr. I still can’t believe how bad the AD f’ed them over last year.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Based on how Maine has looked this year it’s very believable. My guess is the beef is more with the AD than Barr. I still can’t believe how bad the AD f’ed them over last year.
            Hard to blame it on Ralph. I doubt his goal was to make the team play on the road all year. Hate to be political but it sounded like it was more of a Mills issue than Ralph. Ralph seems like a hockey guy through and through so I have no idea what kind of motive he would have in forcing them to play on the road.

If the seniors are dogging it in practice, I hope Barr benches all of them. IMHO it’s a pretty lousy way to honor Red and sounds exactly like what he wouldn’t have wanted. I don’t want to trash the players but if that is true, it reflects pretty poorly on their character.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

Hard to blame it on Ralph. I doubt his goal was to make the team play on the road all year. Hate to be political but it sounded like it was more of a Mills issue than Ralph. Ralph seems like a hockey guy through and through so I have no idea what kind of motive he would have in forcing them to play on the road.

If the seniors are dogging it in practice, I hope Barr benches all of them. IMHO it’s a pretty lousy way to honor Red and sounds exactly like what he wouldn’t have wanted. I don’t want to trash the players but if that is true, it reflects pretty poorly on their character.
              Sorry for the intrusion, but if true regarding the seniors, in the long run, they are only hurting themselves and their future. If they have any aspirations of continuing their hockey career at whatever pro level after Maine, they should all get on the same page and come together. The scouts are watching, and attitude is a critical component of the character you require.
              I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Ridiculous statement, f..d em?
                So putting Guitte in to make the seniors happy would have been a better move.
                Give me a break.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Ridiculous statement, f..d em?
                  So putting Guitte in to make the seniors happy would have been a better move.
                  Give me a break.
                  I’m talking about making Maine play all their games on the road. The athletic department bottled it and after the season Ralph made some ridiculous statements about the team.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

Exactly, if true, are they men who want to play hockey or do they want to be petty and immature. The later offers no hope for their hockey careers.

Ive sort of thought that over the past ten years or so many maine hockey players took on a bit of an unearned prima donna status. Time for that to end.
                    Last edited by NorthMike; 12-10-2021, 08:58 AM.

Comment

I’m talking about making Maine play all their games on the road. The athletic department bottled it and after the season Ralph made some ridiculous statements about the team.
                      Yeah but what was the result of that, moving away from a Red assis coach.
                      I dont see the players being but sore over last year but the coaching change.
                      Last edited by NorthMike; 12-10-2021, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• Seems like a good time for a weekend sweep, put all this behind the team for a little while anyway.

Comment

• Before I touch on the following, I agree 100% with what BBF19 posted just prior to this one ...

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                          Sorry for the intrusion, but if true regarding the seniors, in the long run, they are only hurting themselves and their future. If they have any aspirations of continuing their hockey career at whatever pro level after Maine, they should all get on the same page and come together. The scouts are watching, and attitude is a critical component of the character you require.
                          All in all, I don't disagree that they are "only hurting themselves" ... but I think you're overplaying the "scouts are watching" angle as a would-be motivator. For the most part ... the scouts aren't paying a whole lot of attention to the overage players still dotting the post-Red UMaine roster. Why would they be? Most scouting is done at or for the NHL level and to stock AHL feeder teams with NHL prospects. The players you're talking about are past the draft eligibility stage, and I can assure you, there are not a whole lot of folks scouting for The Coast (ECHL) or lower US pro leagues and/or sub-elite Euro leagues, which are pretty much what "pro career" options look like for the best of the kinds of players left over from Red's recruits.

"Scouting" at the lower pro levels is pretty much a seat-of-the-pants situation, often reliant on connections, word-of-mouth and a heavy reliance on tryouts and short term contracts. Go look up a typical 'Coast team's yearly stats sheet, and you'll be surprised at how much roster turnover there is. It's probably not an overstatement to say, the least stable of your local beer league's teams has more roster stability than most of the 'Coast and lower-tier Euro teams have.

So the dirty (not-so) secret is, the kids who are dogging it in Orono (if this is true?) are either mailing it in because this will be their last competitive hockey stop - and the next stop is a "real world" job - or they'll get to hobo around (at least initially with a relatively clean slate) in the lower rungs of NA or Euro pro hockey to see if something clicks, and allows them to extend their hockey dreams another few years at best. No scouts that matter are paying a lot of (any?) attention to them right now, and the sad fact is, they know it, and they don't have a lot of motivation as a result ...

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

It was the right decision. There's a wider world than University of Maine athletics out there.

Comment

• I didn't realize Maine was the lowest penalized team in D1. Huge improvement over the JD Greenway days, obviously still frustrating that they can't put the puck in the net.

Seems like each BDN article there are players mentioning that they're learning things they've never been taught or mentioning a higher degree of difficulty. I *love* to read that, while also am frustrated by the Red era. Oh well. Better times are ahead. I wish the upperclassmen the best, but Barr will be better off trimming the fat that clearly doesn't mesh.

Comment

• Any player not putting forth the effort at all times should be sat down for a while, as others have said. A senior who isn't working and leading should be dismissed. Make the statement as the new sherriff in town.

And it wasn't the AD who screwed the schedule last year - it was General Mills.
                                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Working...
                                X