This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

The point I was trying to make is it’s not a talent issue on the PP.

I’m truly shocked. I didn’t expect Maine to be in the top 10 in the country but did expect them to be top 10 in hockey east. Hopefully things are better in the second half.
    You wanted them to be top ten in HE? Way to set the bar(r) high!!
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Football will continue to be a black hole that may have a good season every few years and hockey will continue to be woefully underfunded and become to Hockey East what UMass and Merrimack once were. Within five years the school will have exactly zero revenue-generating sports.

Buckle up everyone. Losing to Bentley and Mercyhurst was bad.

Becoming the annual laughingstock of Hockey East will be a whole other level.
      October 31, 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

October 31, 2015
        Football has been far more relevant over the past 10 years, and that fact is irrefutable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Football has been far more relevant over the past 10 years, and that fact is irrefutable.
          Never said it wasn't. I said "Football will continue to be a black hole that may have a good season every few years."

That fact is also irrefutable.

Comment

• Maine football will always be around. The thought process is Alums donate because of football, homecoming opens wallets etc etc. Hockey isn't dead, Barr has a shot to rejuvenate it but if he can't do it.......................... lights out
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• The current situation means nothing give hockey 4 to 5 years then see. Red had eight seasons to end up lower than where started. Barr needs time to show what he can do. Obviously his system wont work with the roster he inherited.

Comment

• After the game last night Barr was on the ice and greeted Vermont's #13 . Interesting how each of them have had divergent paths since winning the national title.

Comment

The point I was trying to make is it's not a talent issue on the PP.

I'm truly shocked. I didn't expect Maine to be in the top 10 in the country but did expect them to be top 10 in hockey east. Hopefully things are better in the second half.
                  Seems to be an eminently reasonable take on the situation, not sure why it has set some folks off.

I still think Barr will come good in the future. Remember, Carvel and Barr's first year at UMass turned out worse than what got their predecessor fired.
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• For the people out there overreacting. Can we really be that upset with what we've seen over the last 4 games? Are the results there, no but as someone who's watching every game, they're improving.

The last 4 games have seen Maine "win" a shootout against BC, play a really good Lowell team down to the wire in a game they outshot the Riverhawks, "lose" an overtime game with Vermont, and triple up Vermont's shots and "lose" a shootout. They played really well last night, anytime you put up 51 shots and don't win is pretty unlucky.

They're not getting the bounces and haven't scored a rebound goal all year. Everything's not perfect but the sky also isn't falling. Like we said going into this weekend, they need more from the seniors and proven players and they haven't gotten it all year. Breen, Houle, Breazeale and Sirota are the only ones who look confident enough to make a play. The PP is tough to watch and that was probably the best it had looked all year.

Give it some time, it wasn't going to happen overnight, we are asking what was already a bad team to play a whole new style. UVM is better than Maine right now, Woodcroft went out and brought in talent, much like what Barr is going to do. I have a feeling both programs won't remain in the cellar.

Comment

• If you remove the Merrimack game that they won, Maine's team shooting percentage this season sits at about 4.8%. (19/396). An average team shoots at about 9%.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                        The current situation means nothing give hockey 4 to 5 years then see.
                        That'll come as a relief to the ticket buyers who are going to get refunds since the games mean nothing.

Seriously, there are reasons to be optimistic and reasons to be pessimistic. It is too early to tell. However, the conditions that existed when Shawn brought Maine to prominence in the 1980's are no longer. Of the three chief ingredients, the only thing in Maine's favor is a young coach with mountains of potential who wants to prove himself. The college hockey landscape has changed. Back then there were a relative handful of schools who took hockey seriously. Now there are dozens. Parity is the name of the game. Coach also doesn't have access to Uncle Harold's platinum card to cover every expense. We all know about the money problems at Maine and no booster is coming to the rescue quite like Alfond did. Once upon a time Maine could have (and did) count on the Kings but that ship has sailed.

The question is whether the hungry young coach by himself is enough to turn things around. The jury isn't even out on that yet. We're still hearing opening arguments.

Comment

That'll come as a relief to the ticket buyers who are going to get refunds since the games mean nothing.

Seriously, there are reasons to be optimistic and reasons to be pessimistic. It is too early to tell. However, the conditions that existed when Shawn brought Maine to prominence in the 1980's are no longer. Of the three chief ingredients, the only thing in Maine's favor is a young coach with mountains of potential who wants to prove himself. The college hockey landscape has changed. Back then there were a relative handful of schools who took hockey seriously. Now there are dozens. Parity is the name of the game. Coach also doesn't have access to Uncle Harold's platinum card to cover every expense. We all know about the money problems at Maine and no booster is coming to the rescue quite like Alfond did. Once upon a time Maine could have (and did) count on the Kings but that ship has sailed.

The question is whether the hungry young coach by himself is enough to turn things around. The jury isn't even out on that yet. We're still hearing opening arguments.
                          Im a ticket holder and patient while chalking the season up to a new beginning, this season means nothing in itself but that.

You are correct about landscape changing since 1990 to 2000. Its refreshing to have a young enthusiastic and motivated coach. We shall see.

Comment

What have you seen so far this year that would make you optimistic? I know it sounds like a not so nice question but am genuinely curious.

Any insight to what people are saying behind the scenes? Is Barr getting a mulligan or are some people getting frustrated?
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

The arguments also aren't happening in Orono. They're taking place in Penticton
                              https://bchl.ca/stats/player-stats/12/46
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

What have you seen so far this year that would make you optimistic? I know it sounds like a not so nice question but am genuinely curious.

Any insight to what people are saying behind the scenes? Is Barr getting a mulligan or are some people getting frustrated?
                                I personally don't have much optimism. I sincerely hope that Barr is up to the challenge but will not be surprised in the least if he isn't. I also likely won't blame him if he's not. I know the situation he has walked into.

Comment

Working...
                                X