• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rw1733 View Post
    2 Mike Lundin D Sr 6-1 175 Apple Valley, Minn. Apple Valley HS
    7 Jeffrey Marshall F So 5-11 185 Kyle, Sask. La Ronge Icewolves
    10 Bryan Plaszcz D So 6-2 195 Apple Valley, Minn. University of Maine
    11 Michel L?veill? F Sr 5-9 193 L?vis, Que. Nanaimo Clippers
    12 Keith Johnson F Sr 5-11 183 Windsor, Conn. New England Junior Coyotes
    13 Keenan Hopson F Jr 6-1 190 Prince George, B.C. Prince George Spruce Kings
    14 Billy Ryan F Jr 6-1 175 Milton, Mass. Cushing Academy
    16 Rob Bellamy F Jr 6-0 195 Westfield, Mass. New England Jr. Coyotes
    17 Zach Sill F Fr 6-0 187 Colchester County, N.S. Truro Bearcats
    18 Josh Soares F Sr 5-11 202 Hamilton, Ont. Hamilton Kilty Bees
    21 Matt Duffy D So 6-2 185 Windham, Me. NH Jr Monarchs
    22 Mike Hamilton F Sr 6-1 193 Victoria, B.C. Merritt Centennials
    23 Tony Morrone F Fr 5-9 203 West Palm Beach, Fla. South Kent School
    24 Wes Clark F Jr 5-11 185 Oakville, Ont. Milton Icehawks
    26 Teddy Purcell F Fr 6-3 177 St. John's, Nfld. Cedar Rapids Roughriders
    27 Travis Ramsey D Jr 6-4 211 Lakewood, Calif. Salmon Arm Silverbacks
    28 David de Kastrozza F Fr 6-3 200 Toms River, N.J. Culver Academy
    29 Brent Shepheard F Sr 5-11 183 Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Nanaimo Clippers
    30 Ben Bishop G So 6-5 205 Des Peres, Mo. Texas Tornado
    31 Dan Morse G Fr 6-0 190 Moretown, Vt. Harwood Union HS
    31 Shane Foley G Fr 6-0 182 Clinton, N.Y. Lawrenceville School
    33 Dave Wilson G Fr 6-1 187 Caledon East, Ont. Streetsville Derbys
    37 Christopher Hahn D So 5-9 185 Fort Qu'Appelle, Sask. Notre Dame Hounds
    40 Brett Carriere D Fr 6-0 198 Ottawa, Ont. Northern Cyclones
    44 Bret Tyler D Jr 5-9 182 Maynard, Mass. Junior Bruins
    55 Vince Laise F So 5-11 172 Brampton, Ont. Georgetown Raiders
    77 Tyler Czuba F Fr 5-11 200 Kelowna, B.C. University of Maine
    79 Simon Danis-Pepin D So 6-7 208 Vaudreuil-Dorion, Que. Gatineau
    Thanks!

And compare that roster to anything Red recruited. Not even among TW's best teams, but miles beyond what Barr has in his cupboard now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Thanks!

And compare that roster to anything Red recruited. Not even among TW's best teams, but miles beyond what Barr has in his cupboard now.
      Decent roster but coaching not for sh**. Purcell was fun to watch, didnt realize he was so lean, 6'3" at 177#, if thats correct.

Comment

• Part of the reason Charlton started at 150k a year was he had no experience and was the youngest HC in the country.

now Maine has to decide what’s next. Do they pay crap one of the current assistants and risk doing this again? Or do they give real money someone outside (the JMU d-coordinator who was on Joe H’s staff comes to mind)?

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Well, OK, but when was the last time hockey was Nationally-relevant, again..? I forget. And the same goes for anyone aside from us old gray-beards.

I get the general point you're attempting to make, but I don't buy it. Maine wouldn't be an elite D-3 hockey program right now, and FCS football is far better than D-3 hockey, in a relative sense... So football is the better program! ;-)

Football is a "loss-leader", I get it. But what Maine sport isn't, anymore?
          You and I get it. The average fan who rarely goes to games doesn’t. If the football team goes out and beats a top ten ranked team, the reaction I hear is awesome until they realize it wasn’t “that top ten”. Hockey team beats a top ten, most realize it to mean one of the best in the country was beaten. As far as being nationally relevant, the hockey team is consistently playing nationally ranked teams, as in, the best in the country. Football will never consistently play at that level….AND THATS OKAY!!!
          That difference will always be a hurdle for the occasional fan. I’ve always got a chuckle when any team claims “we’re number #1”, amongst small schools. No your not #1, and probably at best in the top 75-100 nationally.
          $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
          Just win.....

Comment

• Rask back working out with the Bruins. So eventually either Swayman or Ullmark goes...

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
              Rask back working out with the Bruins. So eventually either Swayman or Ullmark goes...
              He's been working out with the B's as their courtesy to him, he's still not under contract and still a free agent, so there's no guarantee he's coming back. But as neither Swayman nor Ullmark is setting the NHL world on fire at this point, he's a nice contingency plan come January (or potentially later). So if there's an injury with one of the two B's goalies, he could be a quick solution on a short-term deal. He gets a chance to show his stuff for the rest of the league, and the B's get a familiar experienced goalie for the playoff run/playoffs. Win-win.

If the B's do decide to sign Rask to a short-term deal, one would imagine Swayman is likely the one with options left (and a possible two-way deal?) to go back down to Providence. Ullmark isn't going down to the AHL on his salary, and his salary is making him pretty much untradeable, unless the B's can pick up about 50% of his salary in the deal.

B's would be crazy to deal Swayman to facilitate Rask, and Ullmark is kind of locked in because the B's overpaid him by so much, so I don't see Tuukka's path back to Boston being long-term, if at all ...
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

He's been working out with the B's as their courtesy to him, he's still not under contract and still a free agent, so there's no guarantee he's coming back. But as neither Swayman nor Ullmark is setting the NHL world on fire at this point, he's a nice contingency plan come January (or potentially later). So if there's an injury with one of the two B's goalies, he could be a quick solution on a short-term deal. He gets a chance to show his stuff for the rest of the league, and the B's get a familiar experienced goalie for the playoff run/playoffs. Win-win.

If the B's do decide to sign Rask to a short-term deal, one would imagine Swayman is likely the one with options left (and a possible two-way deal?) to go back down to Providence. Ullmark isn't going down to the AHL on his salary, and his salary is making him pretty much untradeable, unless the B's can pick up about 50% of his salary in the deal.

B's would be crazy to deal Swayman to facilitate Rask, and Ullmark is kind of locked in because the B's overpaid him by so much, so I don't see Tuukka's path back to Boston being long-term, if at all ...
                I think it would make a lot of sense to trade Swayman to improve their defense then sign Rask. Their defense is absolutely HORRIBLE and they have no chance if it isn’t improved. They really blew it in the off-season with who they signed and didn’t sign.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• It is too bad the University cannot figure out new revenue streams for hockey. They have a journalism and broadcasting school, why not produce their own live game coverage and stream it and charge either monthly or per game like NCHCTV.

It's a nice model they have but all teams participate, even the one's that already have a local TV agreement as it helps the other member schools save by using the home teams feed so they have no travel expenses. Would benefit the students in the J&B school and the U in revenue.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearinGopherLand View Post
                    It is too bad the University cannot figure out new revenue streams for hockey. They have a journalism and broadcasting school, why not produce their own live game coverage and stream it and charge either monthly or per game like NCHCTV.

It's a nice model they have but all teams participate, even the one's that already have a local TV agreement as it helps the other member schools save by using the home teams feed so they have no travel expenses. Would benefit the students in the J&B school and the U in revenue.
                    Be a conflict with Learfield contract?

Comment

It is too bad the University cannot figure out new revenue streams for hockey. They have a journalism and broadcasting school, why not produce their own live game coverage and stream it and charge either monthly or per game like NCHCTV.

Streaming deals are made at the conference level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        I think it would make a lot of sense to trade Swayman to improve their defense then sign Rask. Their defense is absolutely HORRIBLE and they have no chance if it isn't improved. They really blew it in the off-season with who they signed and didn't sign.
                        I don't disagree the B's have made some horrendous decisions impacting their blue line, but I'm not sure you're going to get what the B's truly need - another legit top pairing defenseman to go with McAvoy - for Swayman, whose value has to have been eroded somewhat from his tepid start to this season. Paying Ullmark at the level that could/should have been allotted to a top pairing quality defender was the gaffe, and it's hard not to look at Dan Vladar doing pretty well out in Calgary so far and thinking a Swayman/Vladar duo, supplemented by a quality experienced defenseman was the way they needed to go. Oops.

Rask is going to be 35 years old before the end of the regular season, and now he's damaged goods, plus lots of wear and tear over the last 10 or so seasons of carrying the load in Boston. If Swayman or Ullmark can't find better form in the next month or two before the Olympics, no reason not to sign Rask to a short term deal. They're seeing him every day now, they can determine better than anyone else what he's up to, and what he might not be up to. Rask wants to be here, so he'd take a short term deal to show the rest of the league what he's capable of, and then this offseason he'll have some leverage that he currently doesn't have to drive a better deal - if not in Boston, then somewhere else to his liking.

As I said before, Ullmark is virtually untradeable. And I don't think you get as much as you might want to get for Swayman, so if Rask does get signed, I think Swayman goes to Providence to bide his time, get regular playing time, and wait to see how Tuukka 2.0 turns out this summer. But to be clear, we agree 100%, the B's problem is on the blue line, I just don't think too many (any?) NHL GM's are gonna give you even a second pairing guy whose contract is not expiring for Swayman right now. The B's have too many 3rd pairing types already masquerading on their first and second pairings, selling Swayman short isn't going to fix that problem. Unless you take a shot at an older top pairing guy with an expiring contract, and try to extend him? Kind of what Sweeney did with Hall up front in the latter stages of last season? We'll see ...
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I think it would make a lot of sense to trade Swayman to improve their defense then sign Rask. Their defense is absolutely HORRIBLE and they have no chance if it isn’t improved. They really blew it in the off-season with who they signed and didn’t sign.
                          Swaymans value at this point wouldnt be enough to make an impact in trades for D men. He' s young and just starting, dont think anyone would put that much value on his prospects at this point. But we know he will do good in the long run.

Comment

• Maine recruit Xavier Henry recently changed his commitment to UVM. He's from Toronto and attended St. Andrew's Prep before heading to the BCHL. That's the same school as another Maine recruit, Grayson Arnott. Anybody have any insight at to why the switch was made? Thanks!

Comment

How's about a "free" stream, and sell ads up the framma-zamma..?

Does ANYONE pay for streams outright anymore? There's definitely more profit to be had in calling it "free" and soaking the hucksters, while all the purported viewers are either taking BR breaks, making another highball, or taking the pup out for a hot-squat while the ads drone on.

Advertisers just don't get it... Why not just take their dollars and run?

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Decent roster but coaching not for sh**. Purcell was fun to watch, didnt realize he was so lean, 6'3" at 177#, if thats correct.
                                He had a pretty decent NHL career, too. (Rolleyes.)

And then you had Lundin and this other guy, Ben Bishop.

Coaching at the college level is primarily about bringing in talent, seems to me.

Tim did that, Red never did.
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-30-2021, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X