This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    Field hockey wins America East and earns an NC$$ tournament bid. Football wins at Durham for the first time in 20 years. Your turn, hockey and hoops.
    Football finished strong after an injury filled 1-4 start. Wrapped up the season with a 5-1 streak, and the cherry on the top was to hammer UNH in the finale.

Maybe Chuckie will go back into his corner for a while now, which is ANOTHER cherry..? One can only hope.

Comment

• Are leagues doing the same 3 on 3 stuff in OT?
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• So let me get this straight.

Uconn loss in OT = 1 pt.
        Merrimack win in OT = 2 pts.
        BC tie in OT = 1 pt,
        BC shoot out win = 1 pt.
        ----------
        Maine total points = 5 pts.
        Maine doesn't win the BC game. Each team gets a point for the tie in OT and Maine receives an extra point for winning the shootout. Is the 3 X 3 OT only being used for 1 year?

Comment

• If youre looking at Hockey East standings the shootout wins are in a different column thats hidden on phone view, thats why the 1-6-1 record looks confusing

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
          43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
          104-47-14 (.669) in that time
          3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• For the pairwise:

an overtime win counts as 55% of a win
            an overtime loss counts as 45% of a win
            if 3-3 OT ends in a tie and it goes to a shoot out it’s a tie

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              Football finished strong after an injury filled 1-4 start. Wrapped up the season with a 5-1 streak, and the cherry on the top was to hammer UNH in the finale.

Maybe Chuckie will go back into his corner for a while now, which is ANOTHER cherry..? One can only hope.
              On the flip side ... after winning their first 3 games of the season, Coach MacDonnell's UNH Football Wildcats finished their season on an 8 game losing streak. The fourteen year streak of postseason play is an increasingly distant memory down here in Titletown. Coach has struggled with health issues in recent years, can't help but think UNH Football is nearing the end of an era. Likewise, maybe UMaine Football will be on the rise, with the strong finish this season to build on?

Stay tuned ... in the meantime, UNH Men's Soccer hosts UNC this afternoon in the Round of 32.

Congrats to Coach Barr on the shootout win over BC the other night. Nice bounce-back performance.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• With BC cancelling their next couple of games I wonder if Saturday’s game in Portland could be in trouble.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Are leagues doing the same 3 on 3 stuff in OT?
                  I saw that in a D-3 game a few weeks ago. I didn't realize that it was an NCAA thing at the time, and wondered if I'd missed a couple of penalties just before OT...

All that aside, it's a fun format. SOMEBODY is going to win that MF, as opposed to boring "playing not to lose" OT hockey for (sometimes) hours on end.

With only 5 minutes to burn, you can play your 3 best guys throughout. If they need to get a blow and re-group, no change necessary, there's so much open ice to use to withdraw into the neutral zone, or even back into your own zone, and then to attack again. None of the defenders dare chase when there's so much space to pass the puck.

The BIG thing is to win the initial faceoff, cuz if you don't gain possession of the puck then, you might never touch it again.

(Blast from the past: I once (around the turn of the century) saw a Maine 3x3 for maybe 1:54 at UMass, and two of the three guys out there for Maine were your favorite Dipsy-Doodle guys, Keenan Hopson and the other guy. Both had good puck skills, and scored on that one. I don't remember the other guy, but he had hands. Help me out here. I want to say Thompson, but that doesn't sound right.)

Comment

• 2 Mike Lundin D Sr 6-1 175 Apple Valley, Minn. Apple Valley HS
                    7 Jeffrey Marshall F So 5-11 185 Kyle, Sask. La Ronge Icewolves
                    10 Bryan Plaszcz D So 6-2 195 Apple Valley, Minn. University of Maine
                    11 Michel L?veill? F Sr 5-9 193 L?vis, Que. Nanaimo Clippers
                    12 Keith Johnson F Sr 5-11 183 Windsor, Conn. New England Junior Coyotes
                    13 Keenan Hopson F Jr 6-1 190 Prince George, B.C. Prince George Spruce Kings
                    14 Billy Ryan F Jr 6-1 175 Milton, Mass. Cushing Academy
                    16 Rob Bellamy F Jr 6-0 195 Westfield, Mass. New England Jr. Coyotes
                    17 Zach Sill F Fr 6-0 187 Colchester County, N.S. Truro Bearcats
                    18 Josh Soares F Sr 5-11 202 Hamilton, Ont. Hamilton Kilty Bees
                    21 Matt Duffy D So 6-2 185 Windham, Me. NH Jr Monarchs
                    22 Mike Hamilton F Sr 6-1 193 Victoria, B.C. Merritt Centennials
                    23 Tony Morrone F Fr 5-9 203 West Palm Beach, Fla. South Kent School
                    24 Wes Clark F Jr 5-11 185 Oakville, Ont. Milton Icehawks
                    26 Teddy Purcell F Fr 6-3 177 St. John's, Nfld. Cedar Rapids Roughriders
                    27 Travis Ramsey D Jr 6-4 211 Lakewood, Calif. Salmon Arm Silverbacks
                    28 David de Kastrozza F Fr 6-3 200 Toms River, N.J. Culver Academy
                    29 Brent Shepheard F Sr 5-11 183 Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Nanaimo Clippers
                    30 Ben Bishop G So 6-5 205 Des Peres, Mo. Texas Tornado
                    31 Dan Morse G Fr 6-0 190 Moretown, Vt. Harwood Union HS
                    31 Shane Foley G Fr 6-0 182 Clinton, N.Y. Lawrenceville School
                    33 Dave Wilson G Fr 6-1 187 Caledon East, Ont. Streetsville Derbys
                    37 Christopher Hahn D So 5-9 185 Fort Qu'Appelle, Sask. Notre Dame Hounds
                    40 Brett Carriere D Fr 6-0 198 Ottawa, Ont. Northern Cyclones
                    44 Bret Tyler D Jr 5-9 182 Maynard, Mass. Junior Bruins
                    55 Vince Laise F So 5-11 172 Brampton, Ont. Georgetown Raiders
                    77 Tyler Czuba F Fr 5-11 200 Kelowna, B.C. University of Maine
                    79 Simon Danis-Pepin D So 6-7 208 Vaudreuil-Dorion, Que. Gatineau

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

I saw that in a D-3 game a few weeks ago. I didn't realize that it was an NCAA thing at the time, and wondered if I'd missed a couple of penalties just before OT...

All that aside, it's a fun format. SOMEBODY is going to win that MF, as opposed to boring "playing not to lose" OT hockey for (sometimes) hours on end.

With only 5 minutes to burn, you can play your 3 best guys throughout. If they need to get a blow and re-group, no change necessary, there's so much open ice to use to withdraw into the neutral zone, or even back into your own zone, and then to attack again. None of the defenders dare chase when there's so much space to pass the puck.

The BIG thing is to win the initial faceoff, cuz if you don't gain possession of the puck then, you might never touch it again.

(Blast from the past: I once (around the turn of the century) saw a Maine 3x3 for maybe 1:54 at UMass, and two of the three guys out there for Maine were your favorite Dipsy-Doodle guys, Keenan Hopson and the other guy. Both had good puck skills, and scored on that one. I don't remember the other guy, but he had hands. Help me out here. I want to say Thompson, but that doesn't sound right.)
                      Billy Ryan? If the 3 on 3 format is so good why don't they do it in the playoffs?

Comment

Billy Ryan? If the 3 on 3 format is so good why don't they do it in the playoffs?
                        3x3 hockey is just a gimmick and has no place in the game of hockey EXCEPT to decide Holiday Tournaments ...a few other good places for it is on PONDS in Minnesota and Canada...stick with either 4x4/5x5 hockey for a 10 minutes overtime during the regular season and if tied, so be it and stay away from another Holiday Tournament gimmick the dreaded Shoot-out. Hockey is such a great game that it needs no gimmicks...and the answer to the COMBO PARTNER to Keenan Hopson was Billy Ryan...the darlings of Tim Whitehead.

Comment

"Good" is subjective. If the objective is to determine the better team then 5x5 overtime is the best option. If the objective is to decide a winner so the fans leave somewhat satisfied and entertained, then 3x3 overtime followed by a shootout is...an option.

Comment

• A happy and safe Thanksgiving to all my fellow fans. Go Black Bears.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                              A happy and safe Thanksgiving to all my fellow fans. Go Black Bears.
                              Back at you, Happy Thanksgiving . Enjoy friends and Family.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post

3x3 hockey is just a gimmick and has no place in the game of hockey EXCEPT to decide Holiday Tournaments ...a few other good places for it is on PONDS in Minnesota and Canada...stick with either 4x4/5x5 hockey for a 10 minutes overtime during the regular season and if tied, so be it and stay away from another Holiday Tournament gimmick the dreaded Shoot-out. Hockey is such a great game that it needs no gimmicks...and the answer to the COMBO PARTNER to Keenan Hopson was Billy Ryan...the darlings of Tim Whitehead.
                                Well, I wouldn't necessarily call it a "gimmick". The athleticism of modern players has rendered a lot of the traditional rules obsolete.

I remember when a two-line pass stopped play. That was a vestige of a bygone era. Maybe the 5x5 OT is cut from the same cloth.

Comment

Working...
                                X