Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umass got close to .500 in Carvel’s second year….. second half next season I’ll want to see signs of momentum, playing the right way and things of that nature.

Right now? Its pointless

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
      Umass got close to .500 in Carvel’s second year….. second half next season I’ll want to see signs of momentum, playing the right way and things of that nature.

Right now? Its pointless
      Exactly. Maine is still in the "demolish the old house and strip everything down to the studs" part of the process. The rebuild starts next season with Barr's recruits on campus.

Comment

• I think there's a fine line between drinking the kool aid and being encouraged by what we've seen. You see W/L, Drew S, I think others see a young coach that has been willing to make adjustments every night by mixing up lines, as well as even fixing the PP (as said on the broadcast). Is it because the overall talent isn't there? Perhaps, but he wasn't encouraged by that win on Friday night. This year is going to be brutal and he knows that. There are so few even passable-level players that were left to him.

I find it to be no coincidence that the majority of the solid play we've seen are from guys he brought in essentially at the last minute. Sirota & Breen have been solid, but there have been very few individual players that stand out. In short, this looks like a Red Gendron-recruited team minus the best goaltender in the country. They're bad. Barr will continue to bring in his guys. Anyone calling for his head, or going with the "same old, same old" BS is full of it.

Comment

• Recent coaching changes at state schools in Hockey East.

Carvel
          Year -1: 8-24-4 .278
          Year 1: 5-29-2 .167
          Year 2: 17-20-2 .462

Bazin
          Year -1: 5-25-4 .206
          Year 1: 24-13-1 .645
          Year 2: 28-11-2 .707

Souza
          Year -1: 10-20-6 .361
          Year 1: 12-15-9 .458
          Year 2: 15-15-4 .500

I'm not counting Vermont because Woodcroft is only beginning his second year at the helm and the team only played 13 games in his debut season. UConn was still a member of the AHA when Cavanaugh was hired.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbear96 View Post
            I think there's a fine line between drinking the kool aid and being encouraged by what we've seen. You see W/L, Drew S, I think others see a young coach that has been willing to make adjustments every night by mixing up lines, as well as even fixing the PP (as said on the broadcast). Is it because the overall talent isn't there? Perhaps, but he wasn't encouraged by that win on Friday night. This year is going to be brutal and he knows that. There are so few even passable-level players that were left to him.

I find it to be no coincidence that the majority of the solid play we've seen are from guys he brought in essentially at the last minute. Sirota & Breen have been solid, but there have been very few individual players that stand out. In short, this looks like a Red Gendron-recruited team minus the best goaltender in the country. They're bad. Barr will continue to bring in his guys. Anyone calling for his head, or going with the "same old, same old" BS is full of it.
            Yes all.

Comment

• Breazeale named rookie of the week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                I do hope all of you folks can admit, Drew S. makes this thread a more interesting read. Sure, some of his takes appear to be bat crap crazy, but when you push back on him, there is always some reason and thought process behind it. We may all disagree on its validity sometimes, but he does want UMaine to win, and maybe he is just less patient or less trusting on how things will turn out with Barr?

I do agree 100% BTW that sometimes even the greatest assistants can't cut it as an HC, and that's probably the biggest concern you have to have with Barr. But his biggest plus is that he's proven multiple times with multiple programs that he can recruit elite level D-1 talent, or at least close enough to elite talent with character that has allowed those various programs to reach heights they've never reached before.

There should be ample evidence of a turnaround by Year Three, and by Year Five you'll know everything you need to know about whether Coach Barr is the real deal or not as an HC. Note, however, the Hockey East landscape is currently littered with current HC's who were former AC's in the recent and not-so-recent past - Barr. Keefe, Woodcroft, Souza, Borek, Albie & Luce. Some are new, while others have been around nearly as long as (or longer than) Red was. Their various outcomes will be fascinating to watch as things play out over the next several years. Stay tuned ...
                Drew is trolling, he likes getting a rise out of others.
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Everyones favorite AD Blake James got fired from Miami.
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Everyones favorite AD Blake James got fired from Miami.
                    What a shame.

Comment

Everyones favorite AD Blake James got fired from Miami.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackcurtis23 View Post
                        Breazeale named rookie of the week.
                        You mean the Barr recruit?

Comment

• Originally posted by mccreary View Post

You mean the Barr recruit?
                          the Barr recruit who is clearly the best D-man on the team?

Comment

Drew is trolling, he likes getting a rise out of others.
                            So - Drew trolled a troll?!
                            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                              So - Drew trolled a troll?!
                              Anyone who disagrees = "troll". What a sad, paranoid existence you must live.

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackcurtis23 View Post
                                Breazeale named rookie of the week.
                                A hopeful sign of things to come, for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X