This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AMC View Post

There are some entire D-3 sports that would like to subscribe to your newsletter. But honestly, I think the math is:

At Miami:

Maine wins: MAINE 2 flights, 1 drive
    Maine loses: MAINE 2 flights, MIAMI 2 drives (to MI and back)

At Maine:

Maine wins: MIAMI 2 flights, MAINE 2 flights
    Miami wins: MIAMI 2 flights, 2 drives (to MI and back)

At Michigan:

Maine wins: MAINE 2 flights, MIAMI 2 drives
    Miami wins: MAINE 2 flights, MIAMI 2 drives

There was a chance the NCAA could save on one way bus fare if Maine won at Miami. That's worth messing with bracket integrity if you are the NCAA and have to pay millions in administrative salaries.
    Yes, AMC, that's an utterly bull**** calculus on their part.

Why bother to seed the tournament in the first place, if the be-all-end-all is merely to save a few bucks, seeds be damned? That's beyond cynical, but the NC$$ has never worried about a hue and cry from minor sports such as field hockey... So on we go, down the same rat-hole.

I'm not saying that Maine would have won this game in Orono, but I AM saying that they deserved to play there, and IMO would have had conditions far more in their favor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      Yes, AMC, that's an utterly bull**** calculus on their part.

Why bother to seed the tournament in the first place, if the be-all-end-all is merely to save a few bucks, seeds be damned? That's beyond cynical, but the NC$$ has never worried about a hue and cry from minor sports such as field hockey... So on we go, down the same rat-hole.

I'm not saying that Maine would have won this game in Orono, but I AM saying that they deserved to play there, and IMO would have had conditions far more in their favor.
      I know it's a big ask, but I really do hope Coach Barr accelerates the turnaround of the Men's Hockey program, as I can't bear reading fair-weather Field Hockey fan(s) crying over the injustice of having to play on the road in a non-revenue sport, not to mention overlooking the fact the Lady Bears blew a 2-0 lead, amidst the horror of playing in 60+ degree temps in Oxford OH.

If you see me bellyaching about UNH Men's Soccer getting shipped on the road for the NCAA's later this month despite a Top 10 national ranking/undefeated record, I beg you to call me out on it.

You play the game, you win the game, and nothing else matters. No excuses.

That's what Walshy believed. When did some of you get so frickin' soft?!?
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Here is what's being cited as "tournament seeding"...however...

https://nfhca.org/division-i/

The NFHCA Division I National Coaches Poll is voted on by NFHCA member coaches and has no bearing on selection to the 2021 NCAA Division I Field Hockey Championship.
        Additionally, the NCAA's official bracket specifically notes the game as unseeded. Same for Delaware/Fairfield.

You can point to Maine's advantage in wins/losses all you want, but look at Miami's schedule and where their losses came from - Six against top-25 opponents, four to tournament teams, four against Big Ten opponents and four against ACC opponents. It's very feasible that the committee just thought Miami was a deserving host based on strength of schedule.

Its also Miami's 7th-straight trip to the NCAA Tournament - and yes, I am a RedHawk graduate - perhaps they've earned some national clout along the way.

Maybe it was money - and Miami drew the long straw in the unseeded matchup simply based on geography.

I share this just to point out a different perspective and the reality of a so referenced #21 at #25 matchup, not to gloat or call anyone a 'dope' for rooting for their team privately and outside of the opponents' thread (which I especially wouldn't do if I'd spent months playing thread police and telling everyone else where they can and cannot post).

To anyone who didn't throw a fit on the UNH thread, congrats on a great season. Hope your team keeps it rolling in future years - if we cant enjoy a nationally competitive UNH/UM hockey rivalry, maybe FH is the next best thing...
        Last edited by Dan; 11-11-2021, 01:29 AM.
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

• At the unseeded level, they do not pick a team to host on merit.

Comment

• This is what happens when your ICE hockey team is 0 for……..field hockey discussion. lol.
            That said, congrats to the ladies!!!
            $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
            Just win.....

Comment

• Another good interview with Barr, with new england hockey journal. Someone posted on facebook also.
              Like how he is out there interviewing with various media, getting good exposure.

https://www.hockeyjournal.com/podcast/

Or

on Spotify.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7fp...urce=copy-link
              Last edited by NorthMike; 11-11-2021, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• A few years ago I said that Maine hockey had fallen on hard times, but it was going to get worse. I recall I wrote something along the lines of the Black Bears were going to become the laughingstock of Hockey East. I lost a great many friends after that post. I wonder how those people feel tonight.

3-1 Merrimack after the first period, and it isn't even that close. Shots on goal are 15-1.

This is at home, incidentally. Against Merrimack.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                  A few years ago I said that Maine hockey had fallen on hard times, but it was going to get worse. I recall I wrote something along the lines of the Black Bears were going to become the laughingstock of Hockey East. I lost a great many friends after that post. I wonder how those people feel tonight.

3-1 Merrimack after the first period, and it isn't even that close. Shots on goal are 15-1.

Im still processing what it is i just watched.

Comment

A few years ago I said that Maine hockey had fallen on hard times, but it was going to get worse. I recall I wrote something along the lines of the Black Bears were going to become the laughingstock of Hockey East. I lost a great many friends after that post. I wonder how those people feel tonight.

I'm still fully convinced in our bright future. The present, however, could be as dark as they come. This is going to be a long year. Maybe one of the worst years for any D1 men's hockey program in the history of the nation. But it will improve from this. Watch for the 2023-24 Black Bears.

Comment

• When you're dealt a poor hand....you still have to play it.

Comment

• Wonder what Barr said in the locker room.

Comment

• Turned the TV on about 10 minutes ago and I've seen Maine score 3 times to take a 4-3 lead....they look pretty good to me! Never saw a Gendron (RIP) team play like that.

Comment

Might want to update those stats, Skippy.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                              Wonder what Barr said in the locker room.
                              Anyone who scores a goal gets 15% off by using GEICO.

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post

Might want to update those stats, Skippy.
                                Are you going to argue that the first period wasn't an embarrassment?

The second has been a marked improvement, but this is still Merrimack.

Comment

Working...
                                X