Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think there's something else about this team that isn't properly being discussed. Barr's system is very different from Gendron's. Less emphasis on dump and chase, less physically aggressive play, different and better breakout, etc. I don't think it's a coincidence that for the most part, a lot of the top players on the team so far have been transfers brought in by Barr this year (Breazeale and Hebert, and to a lesser extent Fawcett). Adapting players that were recruited for and played in (for most of them) a very different system than what's in place now is going to be tough. I think results will only improve as his system takes deeper root and more of the players in his vision populate the program. I'm still fully convinced the program is completely in the right hands, and I don't think anything I see on the ice this year could convince me otherwise. This is the definition of a transition year.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
      I think there's something else about this team that isn't properly being discussed. Barr's system is very different from Gendron's. Less emphasis on dump and chase, less physically aggressive play, different and better breakout, etc. I don't think it's a coincidence that for the most part, a lot of the top players on the team so far have been transfers brought in by Barr this year (Breazeale and Hebert, and to a lesser extent Fawcett). Adapting players that were recruited for and played in (for most of them) a very different system than what's in place now is going to be tough. I think results will only improve as his system takes deeper root and more of the players in his vision populate the program. I'm still fully convinced the program is completely in the right hands, and I don't think anything I see on the ice this year could convince me otherwise. This is the definition of a transition year.
      Yup, I think I said pretty much the same in a recent earlier post. Agree 100%.

To Drew S. - the comparison to UMass Amherst is only drawn because Barr is the guy who recruited most of that team. Sure, there is no Makar right now in the UMaine pipeline, but there aren't that many Makar types who play D-1 hockey these days. And as a reminder, UMA didn't win the D-1 title until after Makar left. Further, Union and PC won D-1 titles with a good slice of Barr's recruits, and there were no Makars skating for those two programs, either.

If Barr can bring in a Makar or Kariya-level stud talent, then good for him (and you guys). If he can't, he's still shown he can recruit a team capable of winning it all. So chill, be patient, and enjoy the ride.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• This dude is going to show up in two years play like a jungle gorilla on speed!

https://www.oursportscentral.com/ser...aine/n-5758257

Comment

• Ben’s other recruit from the weekend.

https://www.pentictonherald.ca/sport...07c4c44fb.html

Comment

• I'm trying to figure out why Maine should have beaten Sacred Heart easily? The Maine sweater automatically wins against an AH conf team?? Maines 2 Natl Championships from 100 years ago scares all incoming teams ? The ghost of Shawn hangs out in the visitors locker room? So now that they lost and tied I'm supposed to believe Barr sucks or something??
            '
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
              I think there's something else about this team that isn't properly being discussed. Barr's system is very different from Gendron's. Less emphasis on dump and chase, less physically aggressive play, different and better breakout, etc. I don't think it's a coincidence that for the most part, a lot of the top players on the team so far have been transfers brought in by Barr this year (Breazeale and Hebert, and to a lesser extent Fawcett). Adapting players that were recruited for and played in (for most of them) a very different system than what's in place now is going to be tough. I think results will only improve as his system takes deeper root and more of the players in his vision populate the program. I'm still fully convinced the program is completely in the right hands, and I don't think anything I see on the ice this year could convince me otherwise. This is the definition of a transition year.
              I was very encouraged this past weekend with the breakout. So much more improved. Yes they had a few flashes to the past but it's improving, quickly.
              The neutral zone play and entering the offensive zone will come, Im sure. There was less dump in.
              I sort of think that the transfers brought in were just better players to Barr than some on the old roster, who also must not have fit into future plans. They were available and willing so why not.
              It will be interesting to track recruits etc over the next year to see what the team may look like next year. I bet Barr has it on his mind first thing every day.
              Last edited by NorthMike; 10-26-2021, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• I think it's mind-boggling to see how many people assumed this team to even be middle of the pack this year merely based on a new coach. Last year's team was putrid and in a transition year, you expected them to be...better? As others have mentioned, many of the best players on the ice for Maine have been transfers / freshman that Barr brought in. That's no coincidence. It's nice to see disciplined, formulated hockey instead of the dump / chase / goon style defense of JD Greenway and co.

Give it time. Nobody wants to sit through a rebuild, especially after not being at the Alfond at all last year. Truthfully, I think we all feel robbed going from the doorstep of a NCAA tourney bid / Hockey East run with the Swayman led team before Covid ended that, followed with the abysmal season last year. It sucks, but Ben Barr is the correct man for the job.

If you're going to panic after an opening weekend against Sacred Heart, you might as well not tune in because things are going to get worse before they get better. If the process remains good, talent will mend a lot of the issues - and track record says Barr is going to get that done. Go Blue.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  I'm trying to figure out why Maine should have beaten Sacred Heart easily? The Maine sweater automatically wins against an AH conf team?? Maines 2 Natl Championships from 100 years ago scares all incoming teams ? The ghost of Shawn hangs out in the visitors locker room? So now that they lost and tied I'm supposed to believe Barr sucks or something??
                  '
                  Correct. Maine has been categorically abysmal for years. There is really no debate. The style of play (gross slow "finish your checks" and dump and chase) and lack of discipline were a direct reflection of the staff and its inability to adapt to the changes in college hockey over the last decade plus. Minus a particular Bruins goalie how much worse is the record over the last five years? Maine lost to a Canadian college 5-0 and got outshot by about 20 at home with largely the same roster two years ago. Another loss to the 17-18 year old kids at USNTDP, also at home. Vermont is BRUTAL, worse than Sacred Heart, yet still has managed to beat the pedestrian Blackbears regularly under previous regime. Maine was grossly outshot in 12 of the 15 games last season. Outplayed in EVERY GAME! They were brutal.

Coach Barr has been here for ten seconds. The players he brought in this year are all having a positive impact. Breazeale, a freshman, might be the best D man on the team, and he was without a home 3 months ago. He has committed players from programs that Maine has historically been unable to get players from. They played the number 6 team in the country and got whipped, and played a top end NCHC team on the road, losing twice, but 100% hanging with them which former regime Maine teams couldn't do. Atlantic Hockey teams have 18 scholarships, and have beaten BC, BU, Notre Dame and Maine all this year already. Hockey East teams shouldn't consistently lose to an inferior conference (for now), but pretending that a team stacked with USHL players and grad transfers a year away from opening of an elite building is a push over is short sited in my opinion. Maine has played faster, cleaner and more efficient than they ever did under the previous staff, maybe actually shifting into the 21st century of college hockey where you can't just dump the puck and run defensemen. Its been said here and in hockey circles over and over - Barr was the architect of recruiting classes that won national championships at schools with far less - think about that, 3 of 4 schools he has touched have won national championships. Maine was one of the worst teams in HE consistently under the former staff, literally one of the worst teams in all of college hockey, with a staff who had 7 years to fix it.

Maybe I'm one of the few, but I couldn't be happier with the way the future looks. #endrant

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackcurtis23 View Post
                    Maybe I'm one of the few, but I couldn't be happier with the way the future looks. #endrant
                    I don't think you're one of the few. I might be on the more optimistic side, but I think everybody here has plenty of optimism and recognizes it's going to take time and not be an overnight improvement, aside from perhaps one particular poster.

Comment

• Let's say you bought a house. A decrepit, terrible, falling down, termite infested mess of a house. But the land is fantastic. You don't come in and add a fancy new convection oven and subfloor heating to the same house. That would be insane, you'd be putting expensive fixtures in a house that is just going to continue to decay. Instead, you tear the house down to the studs and do a basement to rooftop renovation. That's what Maine hockey was. A decrepit, terrible, falling down, termite infested mess of a house.

Regardless of who was coaching the team, this was going to be a team that lost a LOT of hockey games this year. This team was awful last year, it has taken an embarrassing number of penalties for years, and it has played dump and watch bad hockey. That isn't something that can be fixed less than a month into the next season. Baby steps. Being one of the least penalized teams in the nation so far is a good start.

Comment

• I’d say I’m hopeful Ben does well. If he isn’t successful it isn’t necessarily a poor reflection on him. If you look across sports some situations work out and others don’t. There are a million different factors and luck plays a massive part. You can’t convince me Umass gets anywhere close to the frozen four without Makar. One stroke of luck like that can make all the difference in a program.

With all of that being said I don’t think it’s unfair to be critical about Maine’s performance last weekend. That was a gilt edged chance to get a couple of wins and Maine didnt even get one. This isn’t a good Maine team but it isn’t a completely hopeless team either. A hockey east team should be beating an Atlantic hockey team at home the vast majority of the time. If the games had been elsewhere I’d cut him more slack.

I see this weekend as a lost cause but hopefully against UConn Maine can get off the mark. Perhaps others disagree with me but I don’t think losing this year serves any purpose. It’s not like you get a better draft pick or something like that.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Tango View Post
                          This dude is going to show up in two years play like a jungle gorilla on speed!

https://www.oursportscentral.com/ser...aine/n-5758257
                          I like the look of thie kid. Knowing nothing else about him but his stats and size, I'd bet he's fast and shifty. It looks as if he's been able to score at every level, so if he can continue to grow at his current pace we should have a solid player on our hands when he gets here in a few years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            Perhaps others disagree with me but I don’t think losing this year serves any purpose. It’s not like you get a better draft pick or something like that.
                            Who the **** wants them to lose?? They don't have the talent to win if Shawn Walsh or Herb Brooks were behind the bench. I know you like to troll on the cafe but are you trolling here also?

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• If anyone is looking for another team to follow have a look at the Penticton Vees of the BCHL. They have four future Black Bears including the newest commitment Arnott, the acclaimed Nadeau brothers, and a Red holdover Pichette.

The team is 5-0 and all future black bears are major contributors.

https://www.pentictonvees.ca/stats/player-stats/12

Comment

• Originally posted by Tango View Post

If anyone is looking for another team to follow have a look at the Penticton Vees of the BCHL. They have four future Black Bears including the newest commitment Arnott, the acclaimed Nadeau brothers, and a Red holdover Pichette.

The team is 5-0 and all future black bears are major contributors.

https://www.pentictonvees.ca/stats/player-stats/12
                                I believe the Nadeaus and Pichette are actually on a line together too.

It would be interesting to know what the plan with dmen is. I would have to think a lot of the guys who committed under Red will be cut lose. I do hope Kincaid shows up as he looks very promising.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X