This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Last I checked, moral victories are still counted as losses. Trend, schmend, until there are W's on the ledger.

This is still a Red-level team. I'm hoping that Barr can recruit some talent at forward, and clean out some guys who will never pan-out.
    Is he supposed to do all that in the first few months of being hired?
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

See earlier 'patience' joke

Comment

• Maine received some votes this week for whatever reason, Omaha had another sweep this weekend and is 5-1 on the young season so perhaps that series is being viewed favorably. This weekend will be a good test at home against a good Atlantic hockey team. I think a split would be a positive for this team, not really expecting too many sweeps for Maine this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

Wally, no... I've said before that Barr can't win with this roster.

It'll take a couple of years, if we're lucky.

Comment

• If you and 109 of your closest friends are free tomorrow night, section DD is entirely available from rows 6-16. Most of AA is also available. As are huge swathes of BB and CC. And pretty much every other section.

There will be a pre-game ceremony to honor Red Gendron.

Also, the promotional schedule has been released. Every attendee this weekend will get a 2021-22 poster. Looking ahead, I see the series with UHN has been downgraded from the Border War to the Border Battle. Within a couple of years it will just be a Border Skirmish.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              I see the series with UHN has been downgraded from the Border War to the Border Battle. Within a couple of years it will just be a Border Skirmish.
              Border Pillow Fight
              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                Also, the promotional schedule has been released. Every attendee this weekend will get a 2021-22 poster. Looking ahead, I see the series with UHN has been downgraded from the Border War to the Border Battle. Within a couple of years it will just be a Border Skirmish.
                I'm with Ray, it's been a pillow fight for a few years now already.

I'm guessing some idiot in the AD's office decided that using the term "war" was not PC enough?

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Heard a rumor a while ago they may be selling adult beverages at hockey games. Anyone know if this is true?
                  WIll find out tonite.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                    Heard a rumor a while ago they may be selling adult beverages at hockey games. Anyone know if this is true?
                    WIll find out tonite.
                    Long overdue if you ask me, but I suppose we'll find out tonight!

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post

Border Pillow Fight

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                        Heard a rumor a while ago they may be selling adult beverages at hockey games. Anyone know if this is true?
                        WIll find out tonite.
                        There is a lounge for donors (Black Bear Club?) where you can buy beer, wine and mixed drinks and there's a free buffet. I think booze may also be available in the club seating. The donor lounge can be pretty crowded at times and you can't take drinks out of the room. Donors are allowed one guest in the lounge.

Comment

• Originally posted by dogtagger View Post

There is a lounge for donors (Black Bear Club?) where you can buy beer, wine and mixed drinks and there's a free buffet. I think booze may also be available in the club seating. The donor lounge can be pretty crowded at times and you can't take drinks out of the room. Donors are allowed one guest in the lounge.
                          Yeah, but outside of the lounge seating is what I heard.

Comment

• Originally posted by dogtagger View Post
                            It's an early Spring morning in the quiet calm of the Berkshires when two cars arrive in the parking lot outside Patrick's Pub in Pittsfield MA, as dawn was beginning to break through the foggy mist of the previous evening. The men greeted each other briefly and slowly made their way to the building, which was otherwise closed for business due to the ongoing pandemic and restrictions still kept in place in the Commonwealth. Despite the modest setting, big things were afoot in this remote locale as the men settled in, and worked through the preliminaries ...

BB: It's been awhile, hasn't it, Jace? How's the family?
                            JF: Too long, Bennie. Everything's fine with the family.
                            BB: So what's a nice Canadian boy like you, doing in a place like Odessa?
                            JF: (chortling) Odessa's been a godsend, given the restrictions up home, and even here. You?
                            BB: Family's great. Good last season, new job in the Downeast, just had twins ...
                            JF: Great, congrats!! My oh my, you've certainly got a lot on your plate ... so to speak!
                            BB: Not getting much sleep these days, that's for sure. By the way, thanks for coming here.
                            JF: Yeah, my pleasure, no worries. No prying eyes, midway between Amherst and Troy ...
                            BB: Pretty much. How did you manage to get over the border, Jace?
                            JF: That's for me to know, and for you to find out. I will say, gift certs work well at the border ...
                            BB: Always thinking outside the box. Well played, big guy. Let's talk turkey now ...
                            JF: (( ... mmmmm ... turkey ... mmmmm ... ))

The two men would indeed begin to "talk turkey" in the figurative sense, as the man doing most of the talking outlined his plans for his new assignment in the Downeast, and the other man listened intently. Shared experiences entered the discussion in short order ...

BB: ... so you understand what we're looking at in the coming years up in Orono, ayuh?
                            JF: (chortling) Bennie, ferchrissakes, you're already talking like the local yokels, stop it!
                            BB: (laughing). Yeah, it's catchy, isn't it? You say "eh?" and I say "ayuh", right?
                            JF: You got that right, pardner ...
                            BB: ... says Mister Texas Big Boots, right?!? Anyway, last season in Odessa ...
                            JF: ... yeah, it was a tough one. Rebuilding, lots of losses, but getting things turned around ...
                            BB: ... exactly. Which is why I think you're the right guy for the job up in Orono with us.
                            JF: That's one way to look at it ... but yeah, I suppose you're right. Now, for the money ...

Talk would turn into the usual nuts and bolts of a new job offer, with one man doing most of the pitching, and the more rotund Canadian doing most of the listening. As it turns out, the job prospect had been following a path trodden in much the same way as his pursuer, so there was a common understanding of the pros and cons. Of course, money and job stability would eventually percolate towards the top of the discussion. The prospect ironically was being asked to step away from leading his own program, to work for a man who had earned his reputation as the best recruiter of his generation, yet would be leading his own program for the first time. Intangibles entered the discussion, in hopes of clinching a deal ...

BB: ... so the money is marginally better, taxes will be a step back, benefits will be way better ...
                            JF: ... I'm not so sure about that, Bennie. More people in Odessa than in Bangor ...
                            BB: ... university benefits, Jace.
                            JF: Taco Tuesdays are pretty sweet down here, Ben. The real thing, too. Not the faux TT crap.
                            BB: Fair enough, you got that going for you. Did I mention free membership in the Black Bear Club?
                            JF: Not yet anyway. Please, do tell ...
                            BB: Six magical words, and please make sure you write this down ...
                            JF: Shoot, I'm ready, what is it?
                            BB: Free all-you-can-eat buffet ...
                            JF: (( ... eyes now bulging, mouth watering ... )) BINGO, SIGN ME UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

... and now, in the words of the immortal Paul Harvey, you know the rest of the story. ;-)
                            Last edited by Chuck Murray; 10-22-2021, 12:46 PM.
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

It's an early Spring morning in the quiet calm of the Berkshires when two cars arrive in the parking lot outside Patrick's Pub in Pittsfield MA, as dawn was beginning to break through the foggy mist of the previous evening. The men greeted each other briefly and slowly made their way to the building, which was otherwise closed for business due to the ongoing pandemic and restrictions still kept in place in the Commonwealth. Despite the modest setting, big things were afoot in this remote locale as the men settled in, and worked through the preliminaries ...

BB: It's been awhile, hasn't it, Jace? How's the family?
                              JF: Too long, Bennie. Everything's fine with the family.
                              BB: So what's a nice Canadian boy like you, doing in a place like Odessa?
                              JF: (chortling) Odessa's been a godsend, given the restrictions up home, and even here. You?
                              BB: Family's great. Good last season, new job in the Downeast, just had twins ...
                              JF: Great, congrats!! My oh my, you've certainly got a lot on your plate ... so to speak!
                              BB: Not getting much sleep these days, that's for sure. By the way, thanks for coming here.
                              JF: Yeah, my pleasure, no worries. No prying eyes, midway between Amherst and Troy ...
                              BB: Pretty much. How did you manage to get over the border, Jace?
                              JF: That's for me to know, and for you to find out. I will say, gift certs work well at the border ...
                              BB: Always thinking outside the box. Well played, big guy. Let's talk turkey now ...
                              JF: (( ... mmmmm ... turkey ... mmmmm ... ))

The two men would indeed begin to "talk turkey" in the figurative sense, as the man doing most of the talking outlined his plans for his new assignment in the Downeast, and the other man listened intently. Shared experiences entered the discussion in short order ...

BB: ... so you understand what we're looking at in the coming years up in Orono, ayuh?
                              JF: (chortling) Bennie, ferchrissakes, you're already talking like the local yokels, stop it!
                              BB: (laughing). Yeah, it's catchy, isn't it? You say "eh?" and I say "ayuh", right?
                              JF: You got that right, pardner ...
                              BB: ... says Mister Texas Big Boots, right?!? Anyway, last season in Odessa ...
                              JF: ... yeah, it was a tough one. Rebuilding, lots of losses, but getting things turned around ...
                              BB: ... exactly. Which is why I think you're the right guy for the job up in Orono with us.
                              JF: That's one way to look at it ... but yeah, I suppose you're right. Now, for the money ...

Talk would turn into the usual nuts and bolts of a new job offer, with one man doing most of the pitching, and the more rotund Canadian doing most of the listening. As it turns out, the job prospect had been following a path trodden in much the same way as his pursuer, so there was a common understanding of the pros and cons. Of course, money and job stability would eventually percolate towards the top of the discussion. The prospect ironically was being asked to step away from leading his own program, to work for a man who had earned his reputation as the best recruiter of his generation, yet would be leading his own program for the first time. Intangibles entered the discussion, in hopes of clinching a deal ...

BB: ... so the money is marginally better, taxes will be a step back, benefits will be way better ...
                              JF: ... I'm not so sure about that, Bennie. More people in Odessa than in Bangor ...
                              BB: ... university benefits, Jace.
                              JF: Taco Tuesdays are pretty sweet down here, Ben. The real thing, too. Not the faux TT crap.
                              BB: Fair enough, you got that going for you. Did I mention free membership in the Black Bear Club?
                              JF: Not yet anyway. Please, do tell ...
                              BB: Six magical words, and please make sure you write this down ...
                              JF: Shoot, I'm ready, what is it?
                              BB: Free all-you-can-eat buffet ...
                              JF: (( ... eyes now bulging, mouth watering ... )) BINGO, SIGN ME UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

... and now, in the words of the immortal Paul Harvey, you know the rest of the story. ;-)
                              Too long, didn't read

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

Too long, didn't read
                                Read what?

Comment

Working...
                                X