Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottom line is that the Program and outlook for the future looks to be very positive, something that has been missing for many/many years at the "U". Going around the area over the last 2 months and speaking to the Die-Hards has been really refreshing as the "GANG" can't wait for the opening of the season and the progress in the next few years.

Comment

• I have full belief in Barr. With four previous stops under his belt, three of them won national titles that had his fingerprints all over them, and the fourth at least became a competitive program attending national tournaments. And, none of them were exactly world beaters before he showed up, aside from POSSIBLY Providence. I think our future is bright and in good hands, I think we got the guy.

Comment

• It’s really hard to believe today marks 20 years since Shawn passed. I hope we get back to something better than what we’ve seen the last 15 years but I don’t think we’ll ever get back to where we were when Shawn was alive. Beyond winning he just made being a Maine fan special.

Its disappointing the school wouldn't post anything on social media to honor him.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• 20 years ago we lost a great man. This is an excerpt of a piece I wrote in 2016.

This edition is about the giant we lost 15 years ago this week. I was fortunate enough to be around him at the height of his success in the early 90s. In two seasons we were 73-5-4, won a pair of Hockey East titles and our first national championship.

There are stories I could tell to make Maine fans think he was the devil and others that would make the heart of the most ardent BU supporter melt. He was neither demon nor saint. He was a man. Like any man he had success and failures; because of the notoriety of his position both were magnified.

My favorite memory is from early in my freshman year between periods of a Friday night game. I've changed a few details to keep some measure of anonymity.

I was stationed in the hallway outside the locker room. I would receive a signal when the Zamboni had two laps left and would signal Shawn. Suddenly the door opened and there he was, with a player in tow. The kid had had a lousy week of practice and was having a rough game. I realized what was coming and wanted to get out, but the near door was blocked and the far door was simply too far away. Instead I tried to melt into the wall and not make a sound.

Shawn rounded on the kid and we both braced ourselves for the verbal assault that was about to be unleashed. Instead Shawn put his hand on the kid's shoulder and asked what was wrong. We were both taken aback. "You're better than this. We brought you here for a reason." There was something in how he said it. The timbre of his voice, the expression on his face. The kid screwed up enough courage to reveal that a member of his family was in hospital and he was having trouble with it. He didn't tell anyone because he was embarrassed, and afraid of what it would mean for his place on the team.

Shawn listened to him, thought for a moment then said the kid had a decision to make. If it was too much for him, call it a night and Shawn would make sure he got the first flight home. When the time came he could come back. Or he could stay, "But you aren't playing for yourself. You have to dedicate yourself to (them). What would they want you to do? Go sit down and think about it." The kid turned and went back to the room. Shawn gave his pep talk and everyone stood up to take the ice. The kid included. He scored a goal later that night and went on to have a good year.

In my time in Orono I tried to learn as much as I could from Shawn. He was great at incorporating statistics, ruthless with off-ice planning and his motivational techniques were remarkable. What I never mastered was how he read people and situations so well. How did he know? If he had bawled the kid out as we both expected the reaction sure as hell would have been different. That poor kid might have broken that night. (And no, Shawn wasn't tipped off by a phone call from home because he certainly wouldn't have waited until between periods of a game to have this conversation.)

In 1997 we played the high school state championship game at Alfond. I went to the Maine locker room and a handwritten note was posted on the wall. It was Shawn personally thanking the seniors for sticking it out despite the NCAA sanctions. "Where would we be without them?" It wasn't something he just jotted down and he didn't say it because it sounded good. He meant it. He could just as easily be asking, "Where would *I* be without them?"

We lost someone very special, but the loss for Tyler, Travis and Sean was grievous. He would be so proud to see the men you have become and are becoming. He isn't truly gone because his spirit lives on in you.

Newer Black Bear fans cannot appreciate the treasure we had behind the bench, in the locker room, visiting the dorms and in the community. To them he is a picture in a book or a name on a building. It is up to those of us who knew him to keep his memory alive and remind those fans of just how special he was.
          Last edited by ticapnews; 09-26-2021, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• The USCHO preseason poll was just released. UMass is #1.

36 teams received at least one vote. Maine was not one of them.

Polls, poles, Poles and Pohls are irrelevant. Only Pairwise matters

Comment

• https://goblackbears.com/news/2021/9...at-umaine.aspx

UMaine mask policy for attending athletics events

• Face coverings are required indoors for all persons – students, staff, faculty and visitors – regardless of vaccination status when indoors at a University facility. This has been extended to be effective through October 31, 2021. This requirement may be ended or further extended depending on civil guidance, the trajectory of the pandemic and public health considerations. The University of Maine System carefully monitors public health guidance and data, and will update its requirements, including this face covering requirement, as warranted. This face covering requirement specifically will be reviewed by October 31, 2021. Continuation or easing of this protocol are both possible depending on circumstances. Further information is below.
              • The University of Maine System at this time also strongly recommends face coverings outdoors for all students, staff, faculty and visitors when the event or activity involves larger gatherings or crowded circumstances. This is a recommendation, not a requirement, at this time.
              • Face coverings also continue to be welcomed in other circumstances when individuals choose to wear them as a matter of personal preference. There may be certain exceptions related to security-sensitive circumstances or other matters when face coverings must be removed.
              • Exceptions to the indoor requirement:
                • When a person is alone in an office or other room with a closed door;
                • When eating or drinking in a space where eating or drinking is permitted;
                • When a medical accommodation has been granted by appropriate University of Maine System officials;
                • In other special circumstances as may be determined by campus leadership.
              • Engagement is ongoing with faculty and staff to discuss face coverings for faculty and others in teaching and other particular roles with the goal of optimizing a safe and effective educational and campus experience. At this time, the only exceptions to the requirement are those above.
              • University of Maine System students and employees should also refer to the related guidance in the "For Students" or "For Employees" sections of this Together for Maine web site.
              More at link

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                20 years ago we lost a great man. This is an excerpt of a piece I wrote in 2016.
                Thx for sharing the memory.
                There was a lot of similar qualities as HBrooks in that man;
                ways of motivating, reading people, prepping and being in the right job at the right time!!

Comment

• Maine picked 10th in HE preseason poll
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Maine picked 10th in HE preseason poll
                    I really don’t get this. Maine finished eighth last year playing every game on the road and with probably bigger Covid issues than any other team. Maybe other coaches overrate Tralmaks and Greenway leaving? I think if anything Maine is more talented this year and would hope they get a bump from having Barr. Hopefully it doesn’t mean anything but is a bit concerning for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I really don’t get this. Maine finished eighth last year playing every game on the road and with probably bigger Covid issues than any other team. Maybe other coaches overrate Tralmaks and Greenway leaving? I think if anything Maine is more talented this year and would hope they get a bump from having Barr. Hopefully it doesn’t mean anything but is a bit concerning for me.
                      "Eighth."

Comment

I also think they're probably better than Merrimack and UNH. I'd also put them eighth, but these polls are always mostly meaningless anyway.

Comment

Dont over think ahead too much about this season.
                          Big changes are in place, Ill look for incremental on ice changes, some subtle. Give it time.
                          Im good even if they finish last. It will come along.
                          Last edited by NorthMike; 09-28-2021, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Dont over think ahead too much about this season.
                            Big changes are in place, Ill look for incremental on ice changes, some subtle. Give it time.
                            Im good even if they finish last. It will come along.
                            My concern with the poll is more that it kind of sends the message the other coaches don’t rate Barr. They’re basically saying he is going to take a very similar team to what Red had last year and finish two places worse with it.

I agree with you to a large degree on this season’s performance, but think winning stands them in better stead going forward. I honestly don’t see the level of talent changing significantly in the next couple of years. Hopefully eventually it does but I wouldn’t expect any kind of miracle.

If Barr is able to eventually get Maine consistently into the fourth-sixth range in Hocky East, which I think he will be able to do, I would rate him a huge success. I’m sure others wouldn’t be quite as happy with that though.

Comment

My concern with the poll is more that it kind of sends the message the other coaches don’t rate Barr. They’re basically saying he is going to take a very similar team to what Red had last year and finish two places worse with it.

I agree with you to a large degree on this season’s performance, but think winning stands them in better stead going forward. I honestly don’t see the level of talent changing significantly in the next couple of years. Hopefully eventually it does but I wouldn’t expect any kind of miracle.

If Barr is able to eventually get Maine consistently into the fourth-sixth range in Hocky East, which I think he will be able to do, I would rate him a huge success. I’m sure others wouldn’t be quite as happy with that though.
                              I don't really have a problem with the preseason poll as 8-11 are all pretty much interchangeable.

It's not meant to be a slight at Barr but rather an indication that Maine is a tough team to really place after last season. Nobody really knows what to expect this year.

Comment

My concern with the poll is more that it kind of sends the message the other coaches don't rate Barr. They're basically saying he is going to take a very similar team to what Red had last year and finish two places worse with it.
                                No, they're saying they don't rate the players Barr has inherited. The really important work Barr is doing is not likely to manifest itself on the ice this season, or maybe even next season. Check out the first two years Carvel and Barr were in charge out in Amherst. Year One IIRC showed a further downturn from their HEA record the year before they came on board.

If you're looking for hidden messages in a preseason hockey poll, good luck to you. Hey, maybe the other HEA coaches are fat-shaming Barr's assistant? C'mon, chill dude ...

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                If Barr is able to eventually get Maine consistently into the fourth-sixth range in Hocky East, which I think he will be able to do, I would rate him a huge success. I'm sure others wouldn't be quite as happy with that though.
                                Hopefully Barr would be included among those "not quite as happy" if 4th place becomes the ceiling.

It's almost like saying that Coach Belichick will be "happy" to finish second behind the Bills in the AFC East this year. It's not necessarily about reality, it's about extreme confidence in their abilities. I'm sure Coach Barr didn't come to Orono to finish in 4th place. It may be better than UMaine (or UNH) has seen in awhile, but you're basically becoming Northeastern or Lowell. Not good enough, not for a guy who when asked about what it was like to win the D-1 trophy, can respond "Which one?"
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X