This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

It’s funny he is getting kids like this after he has said he wants older, grinder types. I certainly didn’t believe him!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he say, or at least imply, that he wanted the grinder types in the short term to change the identity and culture of the team to his liking, but that in the longer term he wanted to become a more skilled and speedy team? Johnson is a minimum of two years away from Orono, probably more like three or even four, so he would fit the bill of a longer term piece.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he say, or at least imply, that he wanted the grinder types in the short term to change the identity and culture of the team to his liking, but that in the longer term he wanted to become a more skilled and speedy team? Johnson is a minimum of two years away from Orono, probably more like three or even four, so he would fit the bill of a longer term piece.
      The last interview I heard he said he wasn’t a big fan of the 16 year olds and wanted older kids who had been overlooked. I’m sure he has made multiple comments on the subject though.

At the end of the day talent is what makes the difference and you need to get some of the younger kids. It’s good to see Barr is working on multiple fronts.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Have to admit, I was a little bummed when bradz took down his "Influence of USCHO" thread. Keeping up on the latest with Coach Fortier turned out to be a little busier than expected, but just to prove you can't keep a good man down, here's some news regarding the big man's link-up with a local tire wholesaler, and some research they conducted on tire tread safety ...
        Bugger off. Seriously.
        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Barr is a stud recruiter and Maine has the fan base and tradition to turn around the boat sooner rather than later. Why do some Maine fans seem like they are on some imaginary 5 year plan for success? Nothing is guaranteed but come on....we're talking college hockey here. We've got no name schools in the Top 10 and making Frozen 4s....Maine winning sooner rather than later is not some pie-in-the-sky impossibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Have to admit, I was a little bummed when bradz took down his "Influence of USCHO" thread. Keeping up on the latest with Coach Fortier turned out to be a little busier than expected, but just to prove you can't keep a good man down, here's some news regarding the big man's link-up with a local tire wholesaler, and some research they conducted on tire tread safety ...
            Bradz didn't take down the thread. Want to guess who did?

If you want a vacation from USCHO, please keep on this tack.

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
              Barr is a stud recruiter and Maine has the fan base and tradition to turn around the boat sooner rather than later. Why do some Maine fans seem like they are on some imaginary 5 year plan for success? Nothing is guaranteed but come on....we're talking college hockey here. We've got no name schools in the Top 10 and making Frozen 4s....Maine winning sooner rather than later is not some pie-in-the-sky impossibility.
              The closer we get to this season the more convinced I am Maine is going to have a good year. I’m not sure we have any really high end players but the combination of great depth and good goaltending should stand us in good stead.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

The closer we get to this season the more convinced I am Maine is going to have a good year. I’m not sure we have any really high end players but the combination of great depth and good goaltending should stand us in good stead.
                Step 1 - Change the culture and identity of the team. Through recruiting kids who want to be here and who work their azz off for that privilege.
                Step 2 - Become the team and program that has a reputation for honest hard work on an upswing of success.
                Step 3 - Sprinkle in available top end talent when the right ones become available and only those who can adhere to step 1 principles above
                Step 4 - Become the place to be in college hockey
                Step 5 - Just win baby, just win

Essentially the same recipe that Walshy followed. Apparently there must have been something very lucrative about this Johnson kid that Barr felt he needed to go after.
                Last edited by acs64; 08-10-2021, 06:14 AM.
                I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

Bradz didn't take down the thread. Want to guess who did?

If you want a vacation from USCHO, please keep on this tack.
                  satire
                  [ˈsaˌtī(ə)r]
                  NOUN
                  1. the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.
                  I strongly suspect USCHO understands this concept, as I haven't spent a single day on the sidelines in almost 25 years on this site. But your concern for my posting status is touching, so I'll give Moby Jason 'til the start of the regular season to see if he shapes up. If not - expect more then ... :-)
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Anyone heard any news/rumors regarding fan attendance Covid prevention requirements at the Alfond for this upcoming season?
                    My renewing of season tickets depends on how this is handled.
                    $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                    Just win.....

Comment

The last interview I heard he said he wasn’t a big fan of the 16 year olds and wanted older kids who had been overlooked. I’m sure he has made multiple comments on the subject though.

At the end of the day talent is what makes the difference and you need to get some of the younger kids. It’s good to see Barr is working on multiple fronts.
                      My interpretation of what Coach Barr said was that if / when he speaks to 16 year olds, or any young student athlete, he makes it very clear that if they're no longer the player they think they can develop into by the time they're ready to show up on campus then he's not necessarily still going to be on scholarship. He touched on the fact that he hates coaches who aren't honest about that and leave a player stranded if they don't develop, so that by having that conversation at a young age, and with parents, the *right type* of player will work hard and earn it. That's the type he wants.

I didn't take it as though he won't recruit young talent, but similar to everything else he's said, he's looking for the right mental makeup as well. If Barr is signing a 16 year old, I trust that he's going to be damn good by the time he comes to Orono, or he won't be here...and will end up in Durham

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post
                        Anyone heard any news/rumors regarding fan attendance Covid prevention requirements at the Alfond for this upcoming season?
                        Radio silence, aside from their campus announcements. Regardless of how you view the issue - which doesn't need to be discussed on this forum - they owe the fans an answer because there are many in your same situation.

Comment

Anyone heard any news/rumors regarding fan attendance Covid prevention requirements at the Alfond for this upcoming season?
                          right now the University is going to require students to get vaccinated, and I assume that will include the 5,000 screaming fans in the Alfond. At least I hope so.

As of 7/30/21:
                          • Face coverings are required indoors for any visitor, faculty, staff, or student who is not fully vaccinated.
                          • Exceptions to the indoor requirement:
                            • When a student is in their own residence hall room with the door closed and is alone or is with only those authorized to reside there;
                            • When a residential student is engaged in personal hygiene activities in the bathroom associated with their residence hall room;
                            • When a person is alone in an office or other room with a closed door;
                            • When eating or drinking in space where eating or drinking is permitted (not a classroom);
                            • When a medical accommodation has been granted by appropriate University officials;
                            • While participating in activities in which a face covering cannot practically be worn and conditions are safe to remove a face covering, such as when part of an academic assignment requires playing an oral musical instrument or when such a special circumstance is expressly exempted by Maine civil authorities; and
                            • In other special circumstances as may be determined by campus leadership.
                          Last edited by dogtagger; 08-10-2021, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dogtagger View Post

right now the University is going to require students to get vaccinated, and I assume that will include the 5,000 screaming fans in the Alfond. At least I hope so.
                            If that's the case, they should be ready for about 50-75% attendance...

Comment

Your best bet is to contact the ticket office and ask to speak to Logan or Sara, I was told very early in the process this spring/summer that Football was given the ok to 100% capacity and that hockey was being looked at daily/weekly and right up to when the season opens up that some type of spacing would or could be in place. But like I said they told me that hockey was being watched as this covid stuff continued to change. So your best avenue is call the ticket office...myself I am waiting till the the week before the FB season begins...hope this info was somewhat helpful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbear96 View Post

If that's the case, they should be ready for about 50-75% attendance...
                                I'm fine with that if people refuse to get the frickin shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X