This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

Really 4? I can think of one all the rest I thought closed and were now Dunkins
    Broadway, Odlin Rd, Brewer...I think the one in Old Town closed. I know the owner, he's a good dude...Canadian that loves Maine hockey.

I saw Andy Murray was stepping down at WMU, did we get Barr at a perfect time or what? Not to say he'd choose that over Maine, but it sure seems like he would've had an interview anyways.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

You're probably right, Wally. Haven't been up the Downeast for a couple of years now. I counted one out by the airport, one up near Husson, another not far from Wal-Mart, and the other one on Main St. Hope I haven't confused the new assistant. ;-)

UncleRay, I've been on here most of the offseason, and been nothing but sincerely complimentary to your AD and his new head coach selection. So their incoming lead assistant looks like the Sault's version of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. So what? If he's a key part of what turns out to be a resurrected UMaine program, I think that'll be the final word on the subject, no??

Seriously, I didn't realize I was encroaching on a session of Meet The Press in the UMaine thread ...
      Off the meds, again?
      $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
      Just win.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbear96 View Post

Broadway, Odlin Rd, Brewer...I think the one in Old Town closed. I know the owner, he's a good dude...Canadian that loves Maine hockey.

I saw Andy Murray was stepping down at WMU, did we get Barr at a perfect time or what? Not to say he'd choose that over Maine, but it sure seems like he would've had an interview anyways.
        On Broadway?? That one is still open.? I thought it was an Ice Cream place now.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Barr was briefly an assistant under Murray at WMU, I believe between his stints at Providence and UMass. The only place he didn't manage to assist to a D-1 title BTW. I suspect he would probably have had an inkling that Murray wasn't going to be in place at WMU for much longer, I think they parted on good terms. WMU may have been interested in an available Barr, sure, who wouldn't be (other than UNH)? But I'm not sure Barr would have been interested in an open job at WMU, so long as the UMaine job was open (and it was).

Otherwise, I'm pleased we've been able to get some high quality donut shop discussion going on this thread, and on bradz's thread as well. Never can be enough good donut talk on USCHO. :-)
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• The two coaches I spoke with, Ben Barr and Jason Fortier, are both amazing,” Raftery continued. “Coach Fortier actually came out to Colorado and coached a couple of our practices, and it was great. When Coach Barr called me, I was completely sold on Maine afterward. The principles he believes in for a team and his history of winning are great ingredients for a successful head coach down the line. He is a winner and has the ability to make any place a national championship-caliber team. And on top of all of this, nothing compares to the Alfond MadHouse. The atmosphere in the rink on game days is among the best in college hockey. The fans are unbelievable, which is important to me. Maine just seemed like the perfect fit and I could not be happier with my decision.“

From his USHL release announcing his commitment. Certainly praise for the new staff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackcurtis23 View Post
              The two coaches I spoke with, Ben Barr and Jason Fortier, are both amazing,” Raftery continued. “Coach Fortier actually came out to Colorado and coached a couple of our practices, and it was great. When Coach Barr called me, I was completely sold on Maine afterward. The principles he believes in for a team and his history of winning are great ingredients for a successful head coach down the line. He is a winner and has the ability to make any place a national championship-caliber team. And on top of all of this, nothing compares to the Alfond MadHouse. The atmosphere in the rink on game days is among the best in college hockey. The fans are unbelievable, which is important to me. Maine just seemed like the perfect fit and I could not be happier with my decision.“

From his USHL release announcing his commitment. Certainly praise for the new staff.
              Glowing praise indeed. Which recruit said this?

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

Glowing praise indeed. Which recruit said this?
                Kid from Colorado who is playing w/ Lincoln in USHL next year as an 18 year old….forward Patrick Raftery

Comment

• Wabi tv5 has a new sports director -- Ben Barr!
                  lol

Comment

• "Alfond MadHouse" - nice!
                    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                      Wabi tv5 has a new sports director -- Ben Barr!
                      lol
                      You can't make this stuff up ...

WABI hires sports director with same name as UMaine's new hockey coach (bangordailynews.com)

Comment

• Have to admit, I was a little bummed when bradz took down his "Influence of USCHO" thread. Keeping up on the latest with Coach Fortier turned out to be a little busier than expected, but just to prove you can't keep a good man down, here's some news regarding the big man's link-up with a local tire wholesaler, and some research they conducted on tire tread safety ...

Comment

• https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe.../jaden-johnson

commit from this am.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackcurtis23 View Post
                            The pace that Barr and co. are picking up commitments and quality transfers is awfully impressive. Looks like this kid was just drafted in the USHL draft at 16, should be a good commit. If Barr continues this way, we may be back much sooner than originally thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

The pace that Barr and co. are picking up commitments and quality transfers is awfully impressive. Looks like this kid was just drafted in the USHL draft at 16, should be a good commit. If Barr continues this way, we may be back much sooner than originally thought.
                              It’s funny he is getting kids like this after he has said he wants older, grinder types. I certainly didn’t believe him!
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

quality of the Brewer Tims went way down after he bought it, not sure about the others. I have family in Brewer and would stop at Tim Hortons on my way through. Not anymore. It didn't help when Tim's stopped baking in-house and started trucking everything in like Dunkin.

Comment

Working...
                                X