This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Holy crap, it looks like Coach has found an extra 100+ lbs. since his playing days. Maybe the Customs folks were puzzled when Fortier claimed it was only himself, and not some stowaway in his belly?

Hope the Downeast's Five Guys franchise is prepared for this guy's imminent arrival ...
    Gee Chuck do you think that will affect his recruiting ability?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bradz View Post
      Gee Chuck do you think that will affect his recruiting ability?
      You never know, it could? This is a new level to Fortier, I wouldn't be surprised if Coach Barr puts him on a strict "no donuts" diet to prevent from sending mixed messages regarding the importance of maintaining top conditioning for his elite athletes.

How many fat D-1 or NHL hockey coaches can you name? Bruce Boudreau is the one (1) who comes to mind for me, and he's a generation older than Fortier. He's also out of coaching right now, too. Guys like him and Barry Trotz have gotten a little bit pudgy as they've approached their 60's. That happens. Fortier is still a relatively young man, and his is not a healthy look in an elite athletic setting.

To the guy before that who posted about "fat shaming" ... ease up, snowflake. Or go play with your kind in the Cafe/faculty lounge. Bradz and myself may end up disagreeing, but at least he's not ignoring the reality that your new top assistant looks like he just ate a bag of pucks for lunch ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

You never know, it could? This is a new level to Fortier, I wouldn't be surprised if Coach Barr puts him on a strict "no donuts" diet to prevent from sending mixed messages regarding the importance of maintaining top conditioning for his elite athletes.

How many fat D-1 or NHL hockey coaches can you name? Bruce Boudreau is the one (1) who comes to mind for me, and he's a generation older than Fortier. He's also out of coaching right now, too. Guys like him and Barry Trotz have gotten a little bit pudgy as they've approached their 60's. That happens. Fortier is still a relatively young man, and his is not a healthy look in an elite athletic setting.

To the guy before that who posted about "fat shaming" ... ease up, snowflake. Or go play with your kind in the Cafe/faculty lounge. Bradz and myself may end up disagreeing, but at least he's not ignoring the reality that your new top assistant looks like he just ate a bag of pucks for lunch ...
        Lets just wait and see how he does.
        I think and hope he is a good choice to compliment what Barr wants to do.

Comment

Chuck, allow me to provide you with a few facts. Even when Trotz was thinner he still snored, which could be a problem with Fortier if extra weight has something to do with snoring but it also could be hereditary since Fortier is from Sault Ste. Marie so if Fortier can recruit, and there is no evidence he can't, weight won't be an issue and the only problem Barr will have is budgeting the extra room on the road.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bradz View Post
            Chuck, allow me to provide you with a few facts. Even when Trotz was thinner he still snored, which could be a problem with Fortier if extra weight has something to do with snoring but it also could be hereditary since Fortier is from Sault Ste. Marie so if Fortier can recruit, and there is no evidence he can't, weight won't be an issue and the only problem Barr will have is budgeting the extra room on the road.
            Gotta admit, the last bit gave me a good laugh.

Fortier is in his mid-40's and was a player in Juniors, college (Canada) and low level pro in Europe only 20 years ago, in fact he was briefly a teammate of Darren Haydar's older brother Jeff with Milton Merchants in the mid-'90's. So I'm guessing the extra poundage is a recent development in his life. Maybe he embraced the sedentary nature of the office part of his most recent hockey jobs too much? Even spotting Trotz 15 years, he makes Trotz look like Manute Bol by comparison.

But you're right ... if he can recruit at this new level, the rest of it is moot. I guess I'm just not used to seeing successful fat hockey coaches at the higher levels of play. Maybe he'll be a pioneer ...

Comment

Gotta admit, the last bit gave me a good laugh.

Fortier is in his mid-40's and was a player in Juniors, college (Canada) and low level pro in Europe only 20 years ago, in fact he was briefly a teammate of Darren Haydar's older brother Jeff with Milton Merchants in the mid-'90's. So I'm guessing the extra poundage is a recent development in his life. Maybe he embraced the sedentary nature of the office part of his most recent hockey jobs too much? Even spotting Trotz 15 years, he makes Trotz look like Manute Bol by comparison.

But you're right ... if he can recruit at this new level, the rest of it is moot. I guess I'm just not used to seeing successful fat hockey coaches at the higher levels of play. Maybe he'll be a pioneer ...
              Go play in traffic. In Durham.
              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Per the team's official Instagram page, Matt Fawcett (Quinnipiac) and Grant Hebert (Robert Morris) will be joining the team for the 2021-22 season.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                  Per the team's official Instagram page, Matt Fawcett (Quinnipiac) and Grant Hebert (Robert Morris) will be joining the team for the 2021-22 season.
                  Excellent news. I wonder if they are going to announce a player or two each day this week? Would think we would hear something on Dockery, Gould, and Renwick as well.

Edit: Fawcett and Herbert are on the roster now too.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                    Go play in traffic. In Durham.
                    Which one(s) of the four (4) Tim Horton's franchises in and around Bangor do you own?

I think we all know where the new Canadian guy in town will be stopping on his way to the rink ...

Comment

• For his own health....I hope that Fortier gets his weight under control.

Comment

Which one(s) of the four (4) Tim Horton's franchises in and around Bangor do you own?

I think we all know where the new Canadian guy in town will be stopping on his way to the rink ...
                        Really 4? I can think of one all the rest I thought closed and were now Dunkins
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Excellent news. I wonder if they are going to announce a player or two each day this week? Would think we would hear something on Dockery, Gould, and Renwick as well.

Edit: Fawcett and Herbert are on the roster now too.
                          Larry wrote today that he thought these two were good additions. I liked Barrs description "Fawcett is “quick in the corners and has a good stick” who is pesky and tough to play against, the coach said."

Always a good attribute.

Comment

I'm not big on snowflakes' banning speech, but your diatribe is awfully low, even for a clown like you. Seriously - go play somewhere else.
                            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Larry wrote today that he thought these two were good additions. I liked Barrs description "Fawcett is “quick in the corners and has a good stick” who is pesky and tough to play against, the coach said."

Always a good attribute.
                              Read that article and noticed Renwick wasn’t mentioned, hopefully he hasn’t bailed.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Really 4? I can think of one all the rest I thought closed and were now Dunkins
                                You're probably right, Wally. Haven't been up the Downeast for a couple of years now. I counted one out by the airport, one up near Husson, another not far from Wal-Mart, and the other one on Main St. Hope I haven't confused the new assistant. ;-)

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                                I'm not big on snowflakes' banning speech, but your diatribe is awfully low, even for a clown like you. Seriously - go play somewhere else.
                                UncleRay, I've been on here most of the offseason, and been nothing but sincerely complimentary to your AD and his new head coach selection. So their incoming lead assistant looks like the Sault's version of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. So what? If he's a key part of what turns out to be a resurrected UMaine program, I think that'll be the final word on the subject, no??

Seriously, I didn't realize I was encroaching on a session of Meet The Press in the UMaine thread ...

Comment

Working...
                                X