This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Would he be signing something if he wasn’t coming until 22-23?
    who knows could just be staged for the picture, could be his grocery list

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Another commitment, small dman from junior nordiques named Luke Antonacci. It sounds like he is more of a depth guy.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        This Barr guy really seems to be on the ball. MS7 is golfing somewhere. I'm admittedly jealous ...
        Chuck, lets see these guys play before we get too excited.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by acs64 View Post

Has Maine ever recruited a Russian player at any position ? I can’t think of one.
          I don't believe the men's team ever has. The women have.

Originally posted by acs64 View Post

I remember Sokol Kiev. There were others too I think. They sure could control the tempo, great puck handling skills. I think Maine managed a tie that night ?
          In 1985 Maine lost to Sokol Kiev 11-1.
          In 1986 Maine lost to Spartak 4-1.
          In 1989 Maine lost to Sokol Kiev 8-3.

Comment

• Coach Barr seems to be busy on the recruiting front. Obviously it's hard to judge anything until you see it, but it gets me excited. He undeniably has an eye for talent, so let's hope the development part comes along too! Great start.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbear96 View Post
              Coach Barr seems to be busy on the recruiting front. Obviously it's hard to judge anything until you see it, but it gets me excited. He undeniably has an eye for talent, so let's hope the development part comes along too! Great start.
              Agree 100%

Comment

• https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...ton-zadorozhny

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Chuck, lets see these guys play before we get too excited.
                  I'm not saying any of these guys are destined for the HHOF ... but it's nice to see when a new guy comes in and starts to generate a positive buzz around a down-and-out program. You'd have to go back over 30+ years for a time at UNH when anything even remotely similar took place (Kullen for Holt), since Umile was basically an interim hire post-Kullen, and then Souza (MS7) had been on Umile's staff for 3 seasons before he took over. The only recent comparison I can come up with from my various rooting interests across the sports landscape was when 'Bama hired Nick Saban, and you just knew things were going to be very different, right from the outset. Not saying Barr is going to be Saban, but both guys walked into new jobs with established powers that were down on their luck, brought immediate energy and optimism, and I suspect Barr will have UMaine back in the upper tier of Hockey East within 3-4 seasons. Maybe sooner?

There is a pattern of success here with Barr. That doesn't happen by accident. There was another (football) coach over a half century ago, who had this long string of successes wherever he went - multiple state titles in HS, national prominence as a college assistant, then an NFL title as an assistant, before he finally got his chance to run the show in the NFL. Five NFL titles in nine years, including an unprecedented three in a row, never a single losing season anywhere, unrivaled excellence to the point where they named the sport's championship trophy after the guy. Barr may become the modern day Vince Lombardi. And even in the likelihood he doesn't succeed on that high a level, he's still bringing energy and excitement to the program, and allowing you folks to think the glory days of Walshy may be returning in the not too distant future. Fun times.
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

I'm not saying any of these guys are destined for the HHOF ... but it's nice to see when a new guy comes in and starts to generate a positive buzz around a down-and-out program. You'd have to go back over 30+ years for a time at UNH when anything even remotely similar took place (Kullen for Holt), since Umile was basically an interim hire post-Kullen, and then Souza (MS7) had been on Umile's staff for 3 seasons before he took over. The only recent comparison I can come up with from my various rooting interests across the sports landscape was when 'Bama hired Nick Saban, and you just knew things were going to be very different, right from the outset. Not saying Barr is going to be Saban, but both guys walked into new jobs with established powers that were down on their luck, brought immediate energy and optimism, and I suspect Barr will have UMaine back in the upper tier of Hockey East within 3-4 seasons. Maybe sooner?

There is a pattern of success here with Barr. That doesn't happen by accident. There was another (football) coach over a half century ago, who had this long string of successes wherever he went - multiple state titles in HS, national prominence as a college assistant, then an NFL title as an assistant, before he finally got his chance to run the show in the NFL. Five NFL titles in nine years, including an unprecedented three in a row, never a single losing season anywhere, unrivaled excellence to the point where they named the sport's championship trophy after the guy. Barr may become the modern day Vince Lombardi. And even in the likelihood he doesn't succeed on that high a level, he's still bringing energy and excitement to the program, and allowing you folks to think the glory days of Walshy may be returning in the not too distant future. Fun times.
                    Alright Chuck, I hope you're right but lets do some serious brake pumping here. If I didn't know better I'd think this sounds like a jinx attempt in the making by you

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                      Alright Chuck, I hope you're right but lets do some serious brake pumping here. If I didn't know better I'd think this sounds like a jinx attempt in the making by you
                      I don't operate that way, and if my favored program/team is led by a coach who isn't good enough to compete with the top teams in their competition ... well, that's not the other folks' fault, is it? You play to win the game, as they say, and if you can't win the game on your own, why get angry and wish ill upon those who've managed to figure it all out, right?

I'm plenty angry with UNH's current AD, who long ago walked into my favorite program at the height of its success, and has watched it fall into a state of disrepair. On top of that, he shanked the UNH version of Grant Standbrook when the opportunity showed itself, and refused to make the tough call that was needed when Coach Umile's succession became unavoidable. He's still got his finger up his you-know-where. None of that is UMaine's fault, or BC's fault, or even UConn's and Luce Canaan's fault (although he remains a loathsome figure). I wanted to be PO'ed that former nothing programs from Yale and Union made it to the top before UNH, ditto a peer level program like PC, and now a relative start-up like UMass, too. But why get mad at folks for being successful, when the root cause of frustration is in your own AD's office?

So to those who have figured it out, I say "good for you". Most of my favorite sports teams spent my formative years in the tank, but eventually figured things out due to guys like Parcells, Coughlin, Bowman and Popovich. Others like UNH haven't gotten there yet, and my late lamented Expos (barring expansion or relocation) will never, ever make it there. It's a tough climb, and not everyone is up to the challenge. It's not supposed to be easy. It's all about merit, and not about how things are "unfair" or somehow out of turn. Barr seems to have been a talismanic figure at several programs now, and we're going to find out soon enough if that's going to extend to his time at UMaine. And I think we'll find out he's good, not lucky.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Sadly, Zadorozhny didn't get drafted.

Comment

• Happy Birthday to Marcus Gustafsson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faE7...versityofMaine

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            Happy Birthday to Marcus Gustafsson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faE7...versityofMaine
                            Read the description of video, Marcus gets no respect. What a game that was. My Mom, Dad, and my wife screaming at TV. Kid was too young to be up that late.. Unreal
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Sadly, Zadorozhny didn't get drafted.
                              Ninth ranking in Europe probably wasn't high enough. He is only 18 yrs. old. There is a possibility he could be selected next year with further development.

Comment

Sadly, Zadorozhny didn't get drafted.
                                It’s disappointing not to have anyone drafted and a little surprising after Swayman’s success that both Ostman and Zadorozhny would be passed over. Maybe Alfie isn’t as highly rated by the NHL folks as he is by us fans? Hopkins should be drafted next year and hopefully that starts a long run where Maine has someone selected every year. It’s not important to have tons of NHL draft picks but you certainly want some.

Are we going to find out what the coaching staff looks like this week? One of the stranger things I’ve seen Maine taking so long. They’ve got to be on plan D or E at this point.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X