This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

I've been wondering about that myself, even back during the Whitehead era.

Red never gleaned any talent from Quebec and the the Maritimes, but Walsh and (even) Semlar sure did. Seems like a happy hunting ground for a program like Maine.
    Different eras. Our high school team played in a tournament in Moncton my junior year. Everyone I met was a huge University of Maine fan because A) Scott Pellerin and B) That was the only American college hockey that was aired on TV there, and only because WLBZ was available over the air to the entire geographic region. That started to change in the mid-90's with cable and satellite becoming more available. Today thanks to the Internet anyone anywhere can watch pretty much any game for free or at a very small cost. Even the local junior high team 'televises' its games on YouTube.

Comment

• NE Hockey Journal

Ben Barr has picked up his first three commitments as head coach at the University of Maine. The former UMass associate head coach, appointed to lead the Black Bears back in May, has landed a trio of defensemen that he hopes will restore Maine to where it once was at the top of the college hockey landscape.

David Breazeale is the only player of the three who will join the Black Bears for the upcoming season. The `00 Jenison, Mich. native, has spent the past three years playing for the Shreveport Mudbugs in the NAHL. In 2020-21, Breazeale scored six goals and 20 assists in 64 games. His strong play on the blue line helped Shreveport win the Robertson Cup as NAHL playoff champions.

The other two new recruits are defensemen from north of the border. `04 Ryan Hopkins and `03 Bodie Nobes, both products of Stanstead College, will head to Orono down the road.

Hopkins, from Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, is a highly touted prospect. He was drafted in the second round of the 2020 QMJHL draft by Moncton. After scoring eight goals and 23 assists in 58 games during the 2019-20 season, he was scheduled to serve as captain this year, but the campaign was halted due to Coronavirus.

Similarly, Nobes was supposed to play 2020-21 in the CCHL with the Ottawa Junior Senators, but that didn’t go off as planned. In 2019-20, he scored eight goals and 24 assists in 58 games. He was a fourth round pick of Cape Breton in the 2019 QMJHL draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackcurtis23 View Post
        NE Hockey Journal

Ben Barr has picked up his first three commitments as head coach at the University of Maine. The former UMass associate head coach, appointed to lead the Black Bears back in May, has landed a trio of defensemen that he hopes will restore Maine to where it once was at the top of the college hockey landscape.

David Breazeale is the only player of the three who will join the Black Bears for the upcoming season. The `00 Jenison, Mich. native, has spent the past three years playing for the Shreveport Mudbugs in the NAHL. In 2020-21, Breazeale scored six goals and 20 assists in 64 games. His strong play on the blue line helped Shreveport win the Robertson Cup as NAHL playoff champions.

The other two new recruits are defensemen from north of the border. `04 Ryan Hopkins and `03 Bodie Nobes, both products of Stanstead College, will head to Orono down the road.

Hopkins, from Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, is a highly touted prospect. He was drafted in the second round of the 2020 QMJHL draft by Moncton. After scoring eight goals and 23 assists in 58 games during the 2019-20 season, he was scheduled to serve as captain this year, but the campaign was halted due to Coronavirus.

Similarly, Nobes was supposed to play 2020-21 in the CCHL with the Ottawa Junior Senators, but that didn’t go off as planned. In 2019-20, he scored eight goals and 24 assists in 58 games. He was a fourth round pick of Cape Breton in the 2019 QMJHL draft.
        Sounds like we should be pretty happy so far, especially given that he's likely just getting started. Getting Q picks is always a good sign, especially second round picks, as long as they actually come to Orono. But I'd say we're in good hands and the future is bright at this point.

Comment

• Russian goalie committed today.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            Russian goalie committed today.
            9th ranked goalie per NHL central scouting.

Comment

Russian goalie committed today.
              Name, and details? And 9th ranked among European goalies or 9th ranked overall?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found him. Got great stats over in Russia...
              Last edited by amkirby10; 07-21-2021, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

Name, and details? And 9th ranked among European goalies or 9th ranked overall?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found him. Got great stats over in Russia...
                9th ranked international goalie. Probably a late round pick. In his picture on Twitter he is signing something, does that mean he is coming this year? Maybe Thiessen is leaving?

Comment

9th ranked international goalie. Probably a late round pick. In his picture on Twitter he is signing something, does that mean he is coming this year? Maybe Thiessen is leaving?
                  I heard from someone I know worked with the team headed into COVID that Theissen is kind of an oddball. Maybe it's some sort of attitude problem, or maybe him and Barr just didn't mesh well? Or maybe it's nothing, this guy is only 18 and it might be a year or two out from coming stateside.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

I heard from someone I know worked with the team headed into COVID that Theissen is kind of an oddball. Maybe it's some sort of attitude problem, or maybe him and Barr just didn't mesh well? Or maybe it's nothing, this guy is only 18 and it might be a year or two out from coming stateside.
                    Twitter hockey commitments says next year FWIW

Comment

Would he be signing something if he wasn’t coming until 22-23?

Comment

Elite Prospects has him listed as 22-23 to Maine

Comment

• Has Maine ever recruited a Russian player at any position ? I can’t think of one.
                          I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by acs64 View Post

Has Maine ever recruited a Russian player at any position ? I can’t think of one.
                            No but it sure was fun watching Maine play the russian teams way back when.
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

No but it sure was fun watching Maine play the russian teams way back when.
                              I remember Sokol Kiev. There were others too I think. They sure could control the tempo, great puck handling skills. I think Maine managed a tie that night ?

Fertile recruiting grounds. Barr seems to be hard at work….reminds me of another hard working coach we used to have
                              I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

• This Barr guy really seems to be on the ball. MS7 is golfing somewhere. I'm admittedly jealous ...
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X