The Barr Has Been Raised at UMaine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
    I'll assume, taking into account all that I've heard of Barr, that there is a level of ambition involved. I'll also go waaaay out on a limb and assume he "decided to play at RMU" because the other option was DIII. Not that there's anything wrong with that. So give me a scenario where "you" would rather play at RMU? You mentioned being happy with his educational route. If it's all about the diploma and not the hockey, why not stay at RMU for the last year since they will be honoring schollies? Aspiring to be RMU's last ever captain is indicative of a lack of hockey ambition. See my first point above.
    FWIW I think his agreement to entertain coming to UMaine will carry the day. You make an important decision like that, and you tend to turn the page on your prior station. If you've got a steady job, but you're underpaid and/or underutilized until someone else comes in with a better offer ... and then, on notifying your current boss that you're moving on in two weeks, the current job belatedly offers you a promotion and a raise ... you've still told someone else you're leaving to come to work (play) for them, and it took you putting the proverbial gun to your boss' head (in their eyes?) to get him to offer you a better gig. Not exactly the same as what we have here, but the same principle is in play.

Some folks will see value in staying put, naively trusting there will be no retributions, while I do think most folks would end up following through on their promise to start fresh at a new destination. Personally, once I started that train moving down the tracks, it would be tough to back the caboose into the old roundhouse. But that's me (and presumably you), not everyone ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• It's too bad that RM is jerking these players, coaches and staff around the way they are. Hockey is canceled, then it's not canceled. Whatever Grant decides, I wish him the best. As a Maine fan, I'd love to see him finish his college career in Maine. He is a solid player, and would add depth to the team. And as was mentioned already, he has a couple of ex team mates playing here from Fargo.

I think he'll like playing in Alfond, the place will be rocking!

It looks like the team is going to have a lot of seniors, juniors and grad students this year. I'm looking forward to seeing them play.

Comment

• https://***********/sc_jrioux/status...516668422?s=21

Comment

• Another defenseman. Looks like another good pickup, 31 points in 58 games from the blue line is solid. Captain of the team as well, going more for culture again. I like what I've seen so far, i must say.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

Another defenseman. Looks like another good pickup, 31 points in 58 games from the blue line is solid. Captain of the team as well, going more for culture again. I like what I've seen so far, i must say.
            Couldn’t agree more. I think one positive thing Red & Co did was be a lot more agressive in eastern canada than Maine had been during Timmy’s tenure and it’s nice to see Barr continuing that. It’s one area Maine has an advantage over other teams and it’s great to see them using it.

I think every kid Barr has gotten so far is a nice fit and I’m excited for the season. It will be interesting what the final roster looks like.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Couldn’t agree more. I think one positive thing Red & Co did was be a lot more agressive in eastern canada than Maine had been during Timmy’s tenure and it’s nice to see Barr continuing that. It’s one area Maine has an advantage over other teams and it’s great to see them using it.

I think every kid Barr has gotten so far is a nice fit and I’m excited for the season. It will be interesting what the final roster looks like.
              Barr is a consummate, experienced recruiter. I seriously doubt he is taking the lead from Red.
              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Exactly.....night and day on the recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post

Barr is a consummate, experienced recruiter. I seriously doubt he is taking the lead from Red.
                  Last year Maine had five players from eastern Canada and Umass didn’t have any. Don’t let facts get in the way of your hatred for Red though.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Last year Maine had five players from eastern Canada and Umass didn’t have any. Don’t let facts get in the way of your hatred for Red though.
                    None of us hated Red. He just couldn't recruit road-kill, clearly. (The lone exception being Swayman.)

Get real.

Comment

And which of those teams won a national title and which had single digit wins?

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                        Ouch
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Quoting again for emphasis. Recruiting in the same geographic region is not an indication of one riding another's coattails. Get. Real.
                          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• I think it should be pretty clear to just about anyone that Maine's reach into Atlantic Canada should be stronger than just about every other program. I don't think Red deserved a PhD for that analysis.

Comment

The one with a bad team had single digit wins.
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                                I think it should be pretty clear to just about anyone that Maine's reach into Atlantic Canada should be stronger than just about every other program. I don't think Red deserved a PhD for that analysis.
                                I've been wondering about that myself, even back during the Whitehead era.

Red never gleaned any talent from Quebec and the the Maritimes, but Walsh and (even) Semlar sure did. Seems like a happy hunting ground for a program like Maine.

Comment

Working...
                                X