X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Chuck, have you watched Maine lately? They lost at home to a **** UNH team
    Fair point, wally. Suspect we won't be seeing too many of those going forwards, though ...

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Additional context ... his -27 as a soph (first year as a regular) was twice as high (low?) as the next two regular blueliners (-14). His -15 as a junior was tied for second worst on the team among regular defenders. His -11 last season was again second worst among regular MC defensemen.

It's one thing if you're a good player stuck on a bad team; it's another if you're JAG on a bad team.

I'm sure Barr will get the best out of him, just doubt he'll be anything more than depth/spare part.
      He’s going to be somewhere between the fourth and seventh dman for one year. It really isn’t going to make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things. To me the place where he might really bring some value is he went through a rough coaching transition and hopefully can be a help to Barr. It’s better to bring in someone like him for one year than commit to someone for four.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

He’s going to be somewhere between the fourth and seventh dman for one year. It really isn’t going to make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things. To me the place where he might really bring some value is he went through a rough coaching transition and hopefully can be a help to Barr. It’s better to bring in someone like him for one year than commit to someone for four.
        Agreed, having older guys in the room who have been through coaching changes will be helpful.

I’m excited about Fawcett, had decent numbers last year and looks like he still has 3 years of eligibility. Maine has struggled to score for a while now so having anyone who has put the puck in the net in the NCAA will be helpful. He’s not going to light it up but looks like he will be a decent second or third liner.

Both guys look like good transfer pieces and should see game action next year. Not sure if they’re good skaters or not but that would be my hope. I’ve been longing for some smooth skating players.

Comment

• I dont really expect a significant improvement in terms of W-L-T in Year 1, other than the inevitable amount you can expect from having a full slate of home games. I am expecting a finish between 7th and 10th in HE. What I will be looking for, though, is a team that looks better, even when they lose, looks better coached, is tighter defensively, and most importantly, is better disciplined and TAKES LESS PENALTIES. That's going to be the biggest key for improving in my opinion, and I'll be watching team discipline closely to see how Barr's philosophy affects it.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
            I dont really expect a significant improvement in terms of W-L-T in Year 1, other than the inevitable amount you can expect from having a full slate of home games. I am expecting a finish between 7th and 10th in HE. What I will be looking for, though, is a team that looks better, even when they lose, looks better coached, is tighter defensively, and most importantly, is better disciplined and TAKES LESS PENALTIES. That's going to be the biggest key for improving in my opinion, and I'll be watching team discipline closely to see how Barr's philosophy affects it.
            I see Maine as a seventh or eighth place team. I’m not concerned if Maine doesn’t have a good season but I think it would be a real disaster to have a bad one. For a lot of reasons it’s important for him to get off to a respectable start and I think he has a decent enough roster to do so.

What is going on with hiring an assistant coach? Is Renwick still coming?

Comment

I see Maine as a seventh or eighth place team. I'm not concerned if Maine doesn't have a good season but I think it would be a real disaster to have a bad one. For a lot of reasons it's important for him to get off to a respectable start and I think he has a decent enough roster to do so.
              If history tells us anything, it could get worse rather than better this season. UMass had an 8 win season the year before Carvel and Barr came to town, and their first season in Amherst, they won only five (5) games - last place, and a comfortable 7 points behind the next-to-last place UMaine Black Bears. In their second season, they still had a losing record, but moved up to 8th place. The next three seasons saw their meteoric rise up the Hockey East standings, and advancing to the last two Frozen Four Finals games, winning one. So if UMaine struggles again this season, I wouldn't consider it a "disaster" in any way, shape or form. It may even be a necessary evil, as Coach Barr transitions gradually away from Red's kids to his kids.

Now if we're 4 years out, and UMaine is still treading water, questions can and should be asked ...
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Bottom line here is that CHANGE's had to be made and they have...with that said there will lumps/bumps along the way the first two years...but as a whole fans better be ready that Barr came here to win...not just coming over for a cup of coffee...he's here to win...he's here to change the mind-set...and I for one can't wait to see the way he goes about doing it...and yes we will most likely have some painful moments during the next two season but all in all fans have to be in a positive mood that the "U" finally came on board that Maine Hockey can be relevant again...I stress patience/patience/patience....you can bet you will see it every night a team that plays as a team, a team with a plan, changes in the style of play, changes from playing undiscipline hockey...I will say it again I can't wait for Maine hockey 2021-22..!!

Comment

• The biggest thing I will be looking for is an immediate reduction in penalties taken. That is about coaching, listening to a coach, buying into a coach, and discipline. While a player can get faster, become a better shot, give up fewer rebounds, etc., they can't decide to do it, they can only decide to try to do it by putting in the work. A player can decide to play in a more disciplined manner.
                  bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                  SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                  All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                  A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                    Bottom line here is that CHANGE's had to be made and they have...with that said there will lumps/bumps along the way the first two years...but as a whole fans better be ready that Barr came here to win...not just coming over for a cup of coffee...he's here to win...he's here to change the mind-set...and I for one can't wait to see the way he goes about doing it...and yes we will most likely have some painful moments during the next two season but all in all fans have to be in a positive mood that the "U" finally came on board that Maine Hockey can be relevant again...I stress patience/patience/patience....you can bet you will see it every night a team that plays as a team, a team with a plan, changes in the style of play, changes from playing undiscipline hockey...I will say it again I can't wait for Maine hockey 2021-22..!!
                    I’m okay with some bad losses, but given the projected roster there isn’t any reason they shouldn’t be around .500. I don’t expect any sort of miracle this year from Barr but I’m going to be pretty disappointed if this season is a complete disaster.

Comment

I’m okay with some bad losses, but given the projected roster there isn’t any reason they shouldn’t be around .500. I don’t expect any sort of miracle this year from Barr but I’m going to be pretty disappointed if this season is a complete disaster.
                      If the roster is that good, why couldn't Red go .500 with it?

I'm okay if Barr needs to rip this thing down to the studs and rebuild from scratch.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post

I'm okay if Barr needs to rip this thing down to the studs and rebuild from scratch.
                        18-11-5 in his last year. I don’t expect Barr to do that good, but don’t think he should be much worse than a couple games under .500. It’s not the toughest out of conference schedule in the world either.

Comment

I don't know - have you seen the price of lumber lately??
                          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

18-11-5 in his last year. I don’t expect Barr to do that good, but don’t think he should be much worse than a couple games under .500. It’s not the toughest out of conference schedule in the world either.
                            Wow! I didn't realize that Maine went 11-0-3 in games that weren't reported anywhere this past winter! That's amazing!

Comment

Wow! I didn't realize that Maine went 11-0-3 in games that weren't reported anywhere this past winter! That's amazing!
                              I didn’t realize Maine played a normal schedule this year! I was busy with work and must have missed that.

Comment

• I dont know about a worse season, my feeling is this season will be better than Reds averages. Have high hopes with Barr. Players should be better motivated, etc.
                                I dont think much demo has to be done for rebuilding. Grow, strengthen, recruit, teach, team!

Discipline: really it couldn't get much worse. How many six on the ice penalties will there be this coming year? None!
                                Last edited by NorthMike; 07-08-2021, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X