No announcement yet.

The Barr Has Been Raised at UMaine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey East tournament format is changing for next season. All 11 teams will qualify, and rather than a best-of-three at the start before single elimination for the semifinals and finals at the Garden, the entire tournament will be single elimination.

Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
      Hockey East tournament format is changing for next season. All 11 teams will qualify, and rather than a best-of-three at the start before single elimination for the semifinals and finals at the Garden, the entire tournament will be single elimination.

Thoughts?
      I’d prefer only top eight make it but this is next best thing. I hated the tournament being three weekends and this avoids that. I think single elimination leads to a lot more excitement in each game and it’s good not to have to potentially play three games in a row.

Hopefully they can sort out the ridiculous ot/shootout rules. Whatever they decide to do should not be complicated and if they do decide to have a shootout don’t call those ‘ties.’
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I’d prefer only top eight make it but this is next best thing. I hated the tournament being three weekends and this avoids that. I think single elimination leads to a lot more excitement in each game and it’s good not to have to potentially play three games in a row.

Hopefully they can sort out the ridiculous ot/shootout rules. Whatever they decide to do should not be complicated and if they do decide to have a shootout don’t call those ‘ties.’
        What are you talking about? The Hockey East Tournament uses continuous 5v5 OT to decide games

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post

What are you talking about? The Hockey East Tournament uses continuous 5v5 OT to decide games
          I was referring to last year’s regular season.

Comment

• I think they should stick to 8 teams make the playoffs...make the the regular season have some meaning to it, with that said I would change a few things during the the regular season...The Point system: 3 points for a regular season win - 2 points for a overtime win - and a single point if the game after overtime is tied, nothing wrong with ties during the regular season...I would change overtime also to be 10 minutes instead of 5 minute and keep the play @ 5x5 on the ice...heck you play 5x5 for 60 minutes keep it like it was suppose to be in the first place....AND "NO SHOOT-OUTS" no way on that....stay with best 2 out of 3 in the first round then go to one and done for the Semi's and Finals. On a different note I heard a rumor of OC games for 2021-22 season could have Maine @ Penn State and @ Omaha with Alaska Fairbanks and Quinnipiac coming up to Alfond to play Maine...have anyone heard this or different OC teams..? One thing for sure it's been a long time that I can't wait for the season to begin....

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
              I think they should stick to 8 teams make the playoffs...make the the regular season have some meaning to it, with that said I would change a few things during the the regular season...The Point system: 3 points for a regular season win - 2 points for a overtime win - and a single point if the game after overtime is tied, nothing wrong with ties during the regular season...I would change overtime also to be 10 minutes instead of 5 minute and keep the play @ 5x5 on the ice...heck you play 5x5 for 60 minutes keep it like it was suppose to be in the first place....AND "NO SHOOT-OUTS" no way on that....stay with best 2 out of 3 in the first round then go to one and done for the Semi's and Finals.
              Hear, hear. I agree with about 95% of this post. Only quibble is, I would just keep the win at 2 points - regulation or OT - and if you lose in OT, then tough - zero points for you. I hate it that the final 5-10 minutes of regulation in a lot of close games become way too cautious, with teams clinging to their precious 1 point guarantee to get to OT. Don't reward teams for their cautious play - reward teams who decide to "go for it". There's enough of a damper on modern hockey with all the "system" play, let's take away some of the incentive to "play it safe". Fortune favors the brave, etc.

If we do have to continue with regular season OT, then 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an OT win, 1 point for an OT loss, and zero for a regulation loss. And skip the shootout - award more penalty shots, err on the side of giving them out in a close call situation, instead of the other way around. The one-on-one thing used to be exciting - now it's watered down, because we see it so often in the shootouts.

As the poster said above ... nothing wrong with RS ties. Hockey is a great sport, doesn't need gimmicks to "sell" it to casual fans who don't give a rat's anyway ...
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• I'm a fan of only the top 8 making the playoffs. The commish said they want all players to be able to compete for the championship. They have been all season long. And I dislike reseeding at any point in the tourney. The way I look at it, the lower seed assumes the higher seed in an upset.
                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                  I'm a fan of only the top 8 making the playoffs. The commish said they want all players to be able to compete for the championship. They have been all season long. And I dislike reseeding at any point in the tourney. The way I look at it, the lower seed assumes the higher seed in an upset.
                  If we're saying the RS should count for something (and I agree, it should) ... doesn't re-seeding protect the teams who played well in the regular season? Even if #8 beats #1 once a decade or so, why should they avoid having to play #2 next, and then shift into playing the winner of #4 v. #5, while the 2nd seed is punished by seeing their semifinal likely against a higher seed (#3 unless, #6 upsets them) than the #8 team gets? If you want the RS to count, keep it consistent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

If we're saying the RS should count for something (and I agree, it should) ... doesn't re-seeding protect the teams who played well in the regular season? Even if #8 beats #1 once a decade or so, why should they avoid having to play #2 next, and then shift into playing the winner of #4 v. #5, while the 2nd seed is punished by seeing their semifinal likely against a higher seed (#3 unless, #6 upsets them) than the #8 team gets? If you want the RS to count, keep it consistent.
                    There are many ways to look at it that make sense. My view is that the RS is played to determine who should play in what seeds in the tourney. At that point in time, a line should be drawn in the calendar. What happened before is no longer relevant, only what happens in the tourney. The #2 isn't punished if #8 beats #1 - they will still play the #3 they expected to if the #1 won.

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

There are many ways to look at it that make sense. My view is that the RS is played to determine who should play in what seeds in the tourney. At that point in time, a line should be drawn in the calendar. What happened before is no longer relevant, only what happens in the tourney. The #2 isn't punished if #8 beats #1 - they will still play the #3 they expected to if the #1 won.
                      Sure they're punished.

Without re-seeding, #2 likely faces #3 (possibly #6) in the semis. With re-seeding, they'd face #8

In the meantime, #8 would face winner of #4 or #5 without re-seeding, or #2 with re-seeding.

So without re-seeding, #2 likely plays #3, and #8 plays the 3rd best team.

I doubt anyone loses any sleep over it either way, but let's leave "no re-seeding to the NCAA. :-)

Comment

• This would be a nice day for Barr’s first commitment.

Comment

• Barr isn't even living here yet, soon to move to Brewer
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Sure they're punished.

Without re-seeding, #2 likely faces #3 (possibly #6) in the semis. With re-seeding, they'd face #8

In the meantime, #8 would face winner of #4 or #5 without re-seeding, or #2 with re-seeding.

So without re-seeding, #2 likely plays #3, and #8 plays the 3rd best team.

I doubt anyone loses any sleep over it either way, but let's leave "no re-seeding to the NCAA. :-)
                            We're dealing in semantics. I would say that you are punished for something you do. Or didn't do. #8 beating #1 is a situation that doesn't directly involve #2. Their not receiving a benefit is not the same as their receiving a punishment.

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

We're dealing in semantics. I would say that you are punished for something you do. Or didn't do. #8 beating #1 is a situation that doesn't directly involve #2. Their not receiving a benefit is not the same as their receiving a punishment.
                              The quarterfinals are seeded, so then why ignore that for the semis?

You said the RS should count, and I agreed ... yet you want to ignore it for the semis?

Comment

• So, Chuck...what is your read on Jason Fortier

https://***********/JeffCoxSports/st...96727645978624

Comment

Working...
                                X