The Barr Has Been Raised at UMaine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

I dont really mind it. Good college players start out as good junior players, and having a good junior coach and GM is a way to start.
    The game is the game, if you can coach hockey you can coach hockey. The recruiting piece will be a new wrinkle, but as a juniors coach he saw plenty of that (including knowing what worked when recruiting kids he was coaching).

Comment

• https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...oads,-Into.php

Good article...apologies if someone already posted.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post

The game is the game, if you can coach hockey you can coach hockey. The recruiting piece will be a new wrinkle, but as a juniors coach he saw plenty of that (including knowing what worked when recruiting kids he was coaching).
        It will be interesting to see what the division of labor is. I suspect Fortier will be on the road recruiting most of the time but maybe they will have him working with the current players as well? At this point I think recruiting well is far and away the highest priority.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post

Coaching hockey, IMO, is about recruiting.

This ain't a complicated calculus; the faster and more skilled team tends to win every night out, unless their coach installs a "system" that bites it in the a**. Walsh knew this.

Having said that, coaching goalies helps, and I'm glad that Alfie was invited back. I have to wonder if he still talks to Grant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackcurtis23 View Post
            https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...oads,-Into.php

Good article...apologies if someone already posted.
            That's a great article. I'm frankly impressed with how the author portrays your AD (Ralph).

Must be nice to have someone in charge who knows what he's doing.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

That's a great article. I'm frankly impressed with how the author portrays your AD (Ralph).

Must be nice to have someone in charge who knows what he's doing.
              I'm very impressed with Ralph. Seems like a very sharp guy to me just from listening to him once in an interview. He obviously has what it take to be successful.
              I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by acs64 View Post

I'm very impressed with Ralph. Seems like a very sharp guy to me just from listening to him once in an interview. He obviously has what it take to be successful.
                This. Good vibes after reading the article.
                $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                Just win.....

Comment

• Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                  I'm very impressed with Ralph. Seems like a very sharp guy
                  so what is he doing at UMaine?

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

Good question. Maybe he finds a success in rebuilding, which may be more satisfying then maintaining? Same with Barr, which one looks better on a resume down the road? Or, Ralph just wants to ride into the sunset on a horse named Mediocrity….doubtful.
                    $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                    Just win.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post

Good question. Maybe he finds a success in rebuilding, which may be more satisfying then maintaining? Same with Barr, which one looks better on a resume down the road? Or, Ralph just wants to ride into the sunset on a horse named Mediocrity….doubtful.
                      Doesn’t take much to look like a superstar at Maine. Probably a great choice on his part.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Doesn’t take much to look like a superstar at Maine. Probably a great choice on his part.
                        This. And maybe he knew that the Alfond Foundation was close to writing a check as well?

Comment

• Back in Grad school one of my classmates went to Maine for undergrad and so did her BF that actually came with her to Ann Arbor. I was hanging out with him at a function one night and we started talking college hockey. He mentioned that he went to Maine and that Alfond was awesome. He added that Yost was a bucket list thing for him, so I took him to a game over Thanksgiving break. Unfortunately he was unimpressed, probably because there weren't many students there (it was Thanksgiving break). He spoke glowingly about Alfond, my question for everyone here is how is it? This was back in 2003 though so I'm sure things have changed. Was he just blowing smoke up my a** or was Alfond the real deal back then?

Comment

• Originally posted by GhostOfYost View Post
                            Back in Grad school one of my classmates went to Maine for undergrad and so did her BF that actually came with her to Ann Arbor. I was hanging out with him at a function one night and we started talking college hockey. He mentioned that he went to Maine and that Alfond was awesome. He added that Yost was a bucket list thing for him, so I took him to a game over Thanksgiving break. Unfortunately he was unimpressed, probably because there weren't many students there (it was Thanksgiving break). He spoke glowingly about Alfond, my question for everyone here is how is it? This was back in 2003 though so I'm sure things have changed. Was he just blowing smoke up my a** or was Alfond the real deal back then?
                            It was the real deal if you weren't there before the addition in the early 90s. The place was so loud in the late 80s to early 90s it was unreal and caused hearing loss Place was awesome. 2003 the place was still rocking but not like the early days of Shawn Walsh.
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post

This. And maybe he knew that the Alfond Foundation was close to writing a check as well?
                              Im sure yes, it seems logical the school knew and recruited an AD with experience who could close the deal, put together a big project with the funds and have a good chance at bringing in the matching fund raising. Thats an awesome recruiting carrot to get a quality AD, and they got one.
                              His hockey connections and experience probably completed the deal.
                              For Ralph, why not take the job, great opportunity with a big project to work on, and obviously a hockey program to rebuild. Good stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

Yeah, that is the first question that comes to mind, lol. Who knows and at this point who cares. He is here and helping out. That is good. Maybe we all have something to be guardedly optimistic about.
                                I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X