This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Hell, 6 years isn't unreasonable, considering the mess that this program has become.

I still get the alumni newsletter, but what again is the timetable for the new sports complex? That won't hurt recruiting!
    Have not seen a timetable.
    There is something like 20 or 30 mil matching funds to go after to meet the project total.
    Heck with a 2x4 now 8$ vs 2$ 18 months ago they may have to raise more!!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

There is something like 20 or 30 mil matching funds to go after to meet the project total.
      I thought the fields were first and the Alfond upgrades were towards the end.

It will be interesting to see what he does with assistants. I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes some time to make sure he gets it right. I do hope he finds a spot for Shawn’s youngest son.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

It will be interesting to see what he does with assistants. I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes some time to make sure he gets it right. I do hope he finds a spot for Shawn’s youngest son.
        Don't see that happening(Tyler Walsh).

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Try building a new home now....crazy....forget that thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
            Don't see that happening(Tyler Walsh).
            I was talking about Sean. He has been involved with the program the last few years.

Comment

It will be interesting to see what he does with assistants. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes some time to make sure he gets it right. I do hope he finds a spot for Shawn's youngest son.
              And the beat goes on, and on and on and on ...

So, now that UMaine has finally broken through their "Three Degrees of Walshy" mindset by hiring an outsider with excellent credentials, you not only want him to retain his chief competitor for the HC job (Guite) and likely also Michaud, but now you also want to saddle him with Walshy's kid??

Do you want UMaine to be a competitive hockey program, or a feel-good patronage factory?!?
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

And the beat goes on, and on and on and on ...

So, now that UMaine has finally broken through their "Three Degrees of Walshy" mindset by hiring an outsider with excellent credentials, you not only want him to retain his chief competitor for the HC job (Guite) and likely also Michaud, but now you also want to saddle him with Walshy's kid??

Do you want UMaine to be a competitive hockey program, or a feel-good patronage factory?!?
                I want the best people for the job, simple as. If he can find folks who are better that would be a huge win. If he can’t I don’t want change for the sake of change.

I doubt Sean is being paid anything for his services.

Comment

Yes I think this was the plan. Its unclear to me if any of it is fully funded or they can spend the 90 mil and then raise the 20 or 30 to fund the later projects. The later project is Alfond I thought too.

Comment

I want the best people for the job, simple as. If he can find folks who are better that would be a huge win. If he can't I don't want change for the sake of change.
                    Even if that change involves moving away from a coaching regime that hasn't won in a long time?

With all due respect to Guite & Co., I doubt Barr struggles to find better assistants in his own circle.
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I want the best people for the job, simple as.
                      no, you want feel-good picks that don't hurt the feelings of current assistants, and also to hire a Walsh

Barr should hire whomever he wants, even if they have no ties to the program.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

no, you want feel-good picks that don't hurt the feelings of current assistants, and also to hire a Walsh

Barr should hire whomever he wants, even if they have no ties to the program.
                        He absolutely should and I’ve said as much. It’s easier said than done attracting top assistants to Orono though. And it needs to be the right fit if they’re going to be successful. He’s lucky that he is such a strong recruiter he probably doesn’t need quite as much help in that area as some coaches do.

Its encouraging that he’s waited a week to make a decision and I hope he takes as much time as he needs. This is obviously something he has never done before and it’s inportant he gets it right.

Comment

He absolutely should and I’ve said as much. It’s easier said than done attracting top assistants to Orono though. And it needs to be the right fit if they’re going to be successful. He’s lucky that he is such a strong recruiter he probably doesn’t need quite as much help in that area as some coaches do.

Its encouraging that he’s waited a week to make a decision and I hope he takes as much time as he needs. This is obviously something he has never done before and it’s inportant he gets it right.
                          Respectfully, people said the same sh-- about bringing a top coaching candidate to Orono and they just brought in who was considered to be one of the top assistants & best HC candidates in the nation. I have full faith that Barr has developed connections under the tutelage of some of college hockey's best minds. I'm personally of the opinion that the only current Assistant that will stay is Alfie - and that's a big if. Guite, was just the interim HC & interviewed for the same position, so while he might be a solid assistant there's a conflict of interest and ultimately Barr maintains the right to bring in whoever the hell he wants.

I get the sentimental UMaine connection, but let's get the best people here for the job and win.

Comment

I was talking about Sean. He has been involved with the program the last few years.
                            FYI his name IS Tyler and he is presently working as a assistant coach for the Colby Mules under Blaise McDonald.......not at Maine in any role.

Comment

FYI his name IS Tyler and he is presently working as a assistant coach for the Colby Mules under Blaise McDonald.......not at Maine in any role.
                              Sean Walsh is/was Video Coordinator and Statistical Analyst for UMaine Hockey.

https://goblackbears.com/sports/mens...sean-walsh/514

FYI

I doubt this is a role that Barr is going to care too much about replacing with one of his "own", so I suspect Sean will be able to stay on if he wants.
                              Last edited by BassAle; 05-19-2021, 09:16 AM.

Comment

They're two different people. He had Tyler with his first wife and Sean with his second wife.

Comment

Working...
                                X