This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

Agreed, that’s a good problem to have to though. I don’t see him potentially jumping at an NHL job as he never played professionally.

He hasn’t spent his career in the most happening places in the world so I think Bangor should stack up pretty well.
    If he likes to fish, he'll like Greater Bangor.

Comment

• The guy hasn't even moved to Orono yet and you are talking about him leaving, give it a break folks. Lets see what he has before we talk about him leaving for greener pastures. He has 3 young kids, can't think of a better place to raise kids. Maybe he loves Micro brews, Orono has a ton of them
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
        The guy hasn't even moved to Orono yet and you are talking about him leaving, give it a break folks. Lets see what he has before we talk about him leaving for greener pastures. He has 3 young kids, can't think of a better place to raise kids. Maybe he loves Micro brews, Orono has a ton of them
        There are worse places for sure.

Comment

• Greater Bangor/Orono has come a long way in terms of livability for younger folks (ie. under 40). More entertainment, dining and brew options for sure....and there has always been the outdoor stuff within relatively short drives (Katahdin, Acadia, lakes, etc).

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post
            I think with any coach, leaving for an alma mater is always a risk but if Barr builds something at Maine, I don't think it's likely that he leaves for another rebuild.
            Jerry York, Bowling Green (where he won a D-1 title), BC
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
              The guy hasn't even moved to Orono yet and you are talking about him leaving, give it a break folks. Lets see what he has before we talk about him leaving for greener pastures. He has 3 young kids, can't think of a better place to raise kids. Maybe he loves Micro brews, Orono has a ton of them
              Exactly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

That’s not completely true, they have removed the volunteer assistant and strength and conditioning coach from last year’s staff.

I’ll give you a few reasons why it might make sense. The first is timing. It’s the middle of May and a lot of coaches are already in their positions for next year. I love the Bangor area as much as anyone but $80k a year to be there probably isn’t super attractive to a lot of talented assistants. It’s even less attractive when they can make twice as much someplace else.

The next one is Maine’s budget. If Barr wants to get rid of one or both the money might have to come from another line item. Obviously Maine has financial issues without that hit so making that move could be very unappealing.

The next one is continuity in the program and knowledge transfer. Both coaches obviously have a lot of knowledge on the program and perhaps more importantly how to navigate the politics around the school. One of the tricky parts for Barr is going to be dealing with all the administrative bs he didn’t face when he was an assistant. By keeping Guite maybe it means Barr has more time for recruiting and working with the current players which would obviously be helpful.

I think having both of them probably makes it easier to hold on to the current recruits Barr wants to keep(my guess would be out of 15 he probably wants to keep half a dozen or so) and they can sell the school and area a little more easier than Barr can at this point. If Barr can bring in someone better and it will work financially he def should but not sure if that is feasible or not.
                I believe the strength coach took another job

Comment

• Holy cow guys, how about we let Barr coach a single game before deciding that he's the best coach ever and is going to leave for the Minnesota job.

99.9999% of coaches land somewhere on the spectrum of the best and the worst to ever coach. Let's let this breathe before declaring where Barr sits.

Comment

• [QUOTE=AMC;n3662573]Holy cow guys, how about we let Barr coach a single game before deciding that he's the best coach ever and is going to leave for the Minnesota job.

Exactly.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                      Holy cow guys, how about we let Barr coach a single game before deciding that he's the best coach ever and is going to leave for the Minnesota job.

99.9999% of coaches land somewhere on the spectrum of the best and the worst to ever coach. Let's let this breathe before declaring where Barr sits.
                      Well, yeah, the unbridled enthusiasm might be unwarranted, but we have just endured 8 years of futility and regression, and this hire looks great on paper.

Barr has a track record of bringing top-shelf talent to a downtrodden UMass program which didn't have any real history of success, nor a fervid fan-base.

Maine has both, and I'm excited about his prospects in Orono.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Well, yeah, the unbridled enthusiasm might be unwarranted, but we have just endured 8 years of futility and regression, and this hire looks great on paper.

Barr has a track record of bringing top-shelf talent to a downtrodden UMass program which didn't have any real history of success, nor a fervid fan-base.

Maine has both, and I'm excited about his prospects in Orono.
                        Well, admittedly Im almost giddy over things. Ha.
                        KRalph is proving to have been a good hire. His next challenge, like he hasnt had enough in his short time here, is to see how his fund raising skills are to fund the balance of the facilities projects, which is his strength evidently.

Hiring Ben Barr was one if not the most positive direct consequential event to have occurred for the hockey program in a long time, very long time. Im optomistic good things will result. Im giving Barr five + years to see what he can do, its only fair. Improvements will take time, being there in two to three years just isnt realistic, thinking annual incremental improvements.
                        Last edited by NorthMike; 05-18-2021, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

"On loan"? I've never heard that in an NCAA context before. I have heard it in an NHL context, but that's far different, and involves actually signed contracts.
                          Many kids who's D1 programs were not playing schedules this past season went back to play on BCHL/USHL teams. The move This move is sometimes referred to by writers as "on loan" ...but its simply a case of a kid finding a place to play while his D1 team is idle.
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• The next step will be for Barr to hire coaches. I am looking forward to seeing who he selects. I am sure he knows many good candidates from his years of playing and coaching hockey. I would think we will know in a few weeks or perhaps even earlier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                              The next step will be for Barr to hire coaches. I am looking forward to seeing who he selects. I am sure he knows many good candidates from his years of playing and coaching hockey. I would think we will know in a few weeks or perhaps even earlier.
                              Expect earlier. Other than whether or not to retain Michaud, I'm sure Barr has this all set in his mind, and his guys are likely ready to roll. If nothing else, the guy is a thorough planner, and you don't get this far into any hiring process without a firm handle on who is going to be working with you.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Well, admittedly Im almost giddy over things. Ha.
                                KRalph is proving to have been a good hire. His next challenge, like he hasnt had enough in his short time here, is to see how his fund raising skills are to fund the balance of the facilities projects, which is his strength evidently.

Hiring Ben Barr was one if not the most positive direct consequential event to have occurred for the hockey program in a long time, very long time. Im optomistic good things will result. Im giving Barr five + years to see what he can do, its only fair. Improvements will take time, being there in two to three years just isnt realistic, thinking annual incremental improvements.
                                Hell, 6 years isn't unreasonable, considering the mess that this program has become.

I still get the alumni newsletter, but what again is the timetable for the new sports complex? That won't hurt recruiting!

Comment

Working...
                                X