This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
    In the past, I sometimes appreciated Drew's optimism in this thread, compared to some of the other frequent posters. It was closer to my own outlook, which has always been more on the optimistic side than others here. But recently, his posts have made me seriously wonder if he's some kind of shill for Guite or something. My goodness.
    I’ve been told I was Timmy, Red, and now Guite so it’s nothing new. I guarantee you next year Maine won’t win the national championship, people will complain about Barr, I’ll defend him, and then I’ll get accused of being him as well.

How many of you would want an $80K a year job in Bangor(assuming you had to move)? I love the area and I certainly wouldn’t be interested. If Barr can find someone better than Guite(and make the money work) he definitely should hire them and I’ll be chuffed. I think it’s much easier said than done though. None of us have any idea what the financial considerations are either.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

https://bangordailynews.com/2021/05/...TZtVs18C-V_Lu8
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        How many of you would want an $80K a year job in Bangor(assuming you had to move)? I love the area and I certainly wouldn't be interested. If Barr can find someone better than Guite(and make the money work) he definitely should hire them and I'll be chuffed. I think it's much easier said than done though. None of us have any idea what the financial considerations are either.
        Funny, I don't recall UMaine having difficulty filling AHC jobs for Men's Hockey in the past.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I’ve been told I was Timmy, Red, and now Guite so it’s nothing new. I guarantee you next year Maine won’t win the national championship, people will complain about Barr....
          I don't believe anyone here expects a national championship next year and I don't think any knowledgeable hockey fan will be criticizing Barr after only one year.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post

I don't believe anyone here expects a national championship next year and I don't think any knowledgeable hockey fan will be criticizing Barr after only one year.
            Are you new here

Funny that Larry is much more knowledgeable on Maine hockey than any of us here and he thinks Barr should keep Guite.

Comment

Funny that Larry is much more knowledgeable on Maine hockey than any of us here and he thinks Barr should keep Guite.
              Larry is a beat writer for UMaine, and has a long-standing relationship with Guite as a result.

So Larry is probably doing a favor for an old pal. What any good pal would do for their pal.

I'm guessing neither Barr nor AD Ralph consult with Larry in making key staffing decisions.

Larry knows incoming coaches from outside don't routinely hire folks from the last regime.

I'll give you this much, you seem doggedly determined to hamper the new guy's fresh start ...

Comment

I call BS on Larry Mahoney's statement that Maine has the second lowest recruiting budget in Hockey East. First, how does he know how much the private schools spend? Really, if there is somewhere that information is made public please let me know so I can add it to my NCAA financial spreadsheet. Second, here are the actual reported recruiting expenses for the 6 public schools for 2019-20:

Connecticut 47,721
                Maine 70,812
                Massachusetts 49,162
                New Hampshire 63,748
                UMass Lowell 54,797
                Vermont 31,097

As can be seen Maine spent the most on recruiting, and by 10% more than UNH. Now maybe, just maybe, Maine does budget recruiting at a much lower total sine the NCAA only requires reporting the actual expense amount. If so, then Maine regularly overspends on recruiting vs their budgeted amount.

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

On CHN:

Barr Turned Crossroads, Into Head Coaching Path

New Maine Leader Transformed From Ace Recruiter to Well-Rounded Top Assistant

by Adam Wodon/Managing Editor (@CHN_AdamWodon)

Comment

Maybe Drew S. = Larry Mahoney?

Stranger things have happened ...

Comment

That wouldn't surprise me a bit.
                      I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Not disputing your comment, just wondering who those plenty of present NHL/former ECHL coaches are.
                        Cassidy, Boudreau, Laviolette, Bednar, and Don Granato are the current/recent ones.

Comment

Anyone see Larry Mahoney during the first virtual news conference with Barr? What an embarrassing "professional journalist". The guy looked like he just rolled out of bed....what a slob. Can't believe that the BDN con tines to pay that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                            Anyone see Larry Mahoney during the first virtual news conference with Barr? What an embarrassing "professional journalist". The guy looked like he just rolled out of bed....what a slob. Can't believe that the BDN con tines to pay that guy.
                            I couldn’t sleep that night it bothered me so much.

Comment

Are you new here

He said Barr should consider them for the staff. That's not the same. He probably is considering them.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                                Larry has looked like that his whole career, I think he likes that old style I've been up all night beat reporter look. Larry is a nice guy and fun to talk to at Alfond before a game. Now if we could get Dan Hannigan back on the radio
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X