This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

One thing I’m very curious about is what happens with the interest in Maine hockey next year? Six months ago I don’t think many of us would have believed things would have gone so horribly wrong with Covid and obviously it has been a rough season on the ice as well. Will a lot of people give up/move on to other things or will there still be much interest/hope?
    Orono being Orono, they'll be some interest in hockey no matter what.

But, if Maine starts to win, the Alfond will fill up in a hurry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

New Mexico is no juggernaut, Colgate is eminently beatable... No chance v. BC in all likelihood, but, again, the FCS selection process doesn't consider the FBS games, unless you win them.

FCS went 12-105 v. FBS this season, with Maine getting one of the 12 wins, and earning $675K in the process.

Why not take the money when the games are essentially irrelevant anyway?
      Because if Maine plays two FBS games and loses them, and then goes 5-3 in the CAA, Maine will have a 6-3 FCS record. 6 wins is historically not enough for playoff consideration.

If Maine instead goes 2-1 in the nonconference, and then goes 5-3 in the CAA, Maine will have a 7-3 FCS record, which is close to a lock.

By playing two FBS games, Maine needs to go 6-2 in CAA play to feel comfortable come selection Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post

Because if Maine plays two FBS games and loses them, and then goes 5-3 in the CAA, Maine will have a 6-3 FCS record. 6 wins is historically not enough for playoff consideration.

If Maine instead goes 2-1 in the nonconference, and then goes 5-3 in the CAA, Maine will have a 7-3 FCS record, which is close to a lock.

By playing two FBS games, Maine needs to go 6-2 in CAA play to feel comfortable come selection Sunday.
        But, as you so often point-out, Maine can use all the sports revenue it can get... Playing (and even losing) v. FBS teams is a reliable cash-stream, and the results of those games generally mean Jack. (Get it, already?)

The CAA will be a dog-fight next year with JMU gone, and 6 wins is definitely a possibility for Maine and a few other teams, in that context.

Maine is an FCS factor, and has been for years and years, while hockey has been moribund for around 10 years now...

Not picking a fight, but I truly don't understand why you (and others) consistently undermine the biggest-profile sport on campus right now. (Football.) I would love to see hockey get back to some level of respectability, but that possibility is just that right now...

A possibility, and nothing more.
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-27-2021, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

But, as you so often point-out, Maine can use all the sports revenue it can get... Playing (and even losing) v. FBS teams is a reliable cash-stream, and the results of those games generally mean Jack. (Get it, already?)

The CAA will be a dog-fight next year with JMU gone, and 6 wins is definitely a possibility for Maine and a few other teams, in that context.

Maine is an FCS factor, and has been for years and years, while hockey has been moribund for around 10 years now...

Not picking a fight, but I truly don't understand why you (and others) consistently undermine the biggest-profile sport on campus right now. (Football.) I would love to see hockey get back to some level of respectability, but that possibility is just that right now...

A possibility, and nothing more.
          Because if you are giving up some of your odds to play for a national title in order to make money, you aren't a serious athletic program. I disagree that Maine is a "factor" in FCS- one run to the semifinals (which resulted in an *** kicking), and a few one and dones in the playoffs aren't a "factor," that's an "attendee." Maine is as far away from being able to beat North Dakota State or South Dakota State as Maine hockey is from winning a national title.

I also question the value of playing FCS football, in general. There's value in Maine being nationally competitive against the Michigans, Minnesotas, BC's, etc. of the world. I'm not sure what the University gains by spending late November and December flying to rural Washington or Utah or South Dakota on a week's notice if they make/go far in the FCS playoffs. And by basically saying "sure, we could make the playoffs if we scheduled one FBS team, but that's less important than trying to not lose multiple millions on this sport," the University is admitting as much.

Comment

• But even if Maine FB does beat a North or South Dakota State, they still won’t ever be tops in their sport. College football supremacy belongs to the Alabamas of the NCAA and Maine will never contend with them. Hockey? Absolutely, they have before and will again play and beat the “Alabamas” of hockey.
            It’s an apple and orange comparison.
            $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
            Just win.....

Comment

• They need the money. What are you gonna do?

At least the second FCS game, most years, is against a crappy team like UMass or Western Kentucky they can actually beat. Those games have to pay less than a real mauling by a Power 5 team

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• I looked up the stats, Maine started one FCS game in 2003, made the playoffs 2 times in ten years playing one.

Started playing 2 in 2013, has made the playoffs twice since then in 8 seasons (excluding the 2020 spring covid deal).

Granted the evolving CAA structure is a variable in there, but percentage wise, the extra game hasnt changed their odds much

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• I see both sides of this debate. On the one hand, it's undeniable that football has been probably the best athletic program on campus other than WBB since at least I got to UMaine (2016). They're usually a competitive team in the CAA, haven't had a truly bad season since 1995, and seem to be a rising program that's got something good going on. And, if you take the argument that they'll never win a true national championship in football to its extreme, then the U should cut every sport other than men's hockey, because Maine is never winning a title in football, basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, field hockey, or anything else.

On the other hand, it is true that Maine will always be in the awkward little brother section of D1 football, and they'll never move up to FBS, and if they do, they'll make UConn and UMass look like Alabama and Ohio State. Needing to go and get humilated so they can get cut a check does sit weirdly and leaves a sour taste in your mouth, and needing to do it twice and really hamstring your season is just a huge handicap that leaves very little margin for error. Kind of reminds me of the baseball team playing big programs across the South in early spring every year and starting their season 0-15.

I don't think there's any easy answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                    They need the money. What are you gonna do?
                    The guarantees they have gotten are really not that much, although football would be a bigger black hole without them. You can see Maine's financials from 2009-20, but if you don't want to take a look here are football's guarantees for 2009-2019. As can be seen when Maine started playing a second FBS team in 2013 (2014 year end) they doubled their guarantee revenue, but it's still only $300-$350 thousand per game.

Guarantees
                    2010 480,000
                    2011 250,000
                    2012 375,000
                    2013 300,000
                    2014 610,000
                    2015 350,000
                    2016 725,000
                    2017 700,000
                    2018 600,000
                    2019 700,000
                    2020 630,000

And Maine's travel expenses to play those two games has to be paid for. Overall Maine football expenses are now over $4 million a season, while hockey is just over $2 million a season. Here are the total expenses and earned P/L for football and hockey:

Football Hockey
                    Expenses P/L Expenses P/L
                    2010 3,593,953 -2,619,462 1,683,037 -399,669
                    2011 3,507,958 -2,707,930 1,838,748 -368,901
                    2012 3,897,654 -2,729,086 1,972,895 -551,162
                    2013 3,789,109 -2,965,201 1,966,585 -692,478
                    2014 4,042,263 -2,693,433 1,928,856 -681,433
                    2015 3,869,339 -2,768,262 2,029,764 -718,756
                    2016 4,245,205 -2,773,699 2,137,336 -1,067,521
                    2017 4,139,692 -2,719,716 2,117,117 -980,208
                    2018 4,079,694 -2,812,579 2,098,494 -1,031,033
                    2019 4,353,148 -2,841,563 2,230,922 -1,176,395
                    2020 4,523,784 -3,193,544 2,161,558 -1,058,900

The 2020-21 financial reports will start to be available in a few months.

Sean
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Back in hockey news, according to the team's Instagram page, defenseman Samuel Duerr will be joining the team.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...9/samuel-duerr

Comment

• Sean, what is the P/L?

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                          Back in hockey news, according to the team's Instagram page, defenseman Samuel Duerr will be joining the team.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...9/samuel-duerr
                          A Shattuck StMarys guy recruited in 2020 by Red and company.

Comment

• Starting this semester? Interesting if so
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                              Sean, what is the P/L?
                              Earned profit/loss. It excludes direct and indirect instutional support, student fees and government support. Bottom line, both sports lose money, but football loses 3x as much as hockey.

Sean
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

A Shattuck StMarys guy recruited in 2020 by Red and company.

According to EliteProspects, he's got 1-2-3 in his last 10 games and is +3 in that time.

Comment

Working...
                                X