The Barr Has Been Raised at UMaine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

I wouldnt call vt a terrible program anymore. They have some fast, young, skilled kids brought in by woodcroft. I have a feeling he'll rebuild that program to be competitive in HE. Maine will have their hands full this weekend.
    +1. I think Woodcroft was a good hire. His team may reach post season before Maine does.

Comment

• Per BDN:
      "A small search committee will move swiftly to name a new head football coach by Dec. 15 and plans to boost the pay of what has long been the lowest paid coaching position in the conference to be more in line with other Colonial Athletic Association head coaches.
      Nick Charlton made $153,000 per year, compared with the average conference head coach salary of $400,000"

Interesting, suppose the coach will make more than hockey coach? That will be interesting.

Last edited by NorthMike; 12-03-2021, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post

+1. I think Woodcroft was a good hire. His team may reach post season before Maine does.
        Perhaps "terrible" is harsh, but I'd argue that Vermont is the worst program in Hockey East. Jury still out on Woodcroft, and he deserves probably 2 more years to show what he is as a head coach, but I'd take Barr all day over him. I'd imagine some on this thread would be calling for Barr's termination if Maine has 2 wins at this point next season coupled with 5 loses to ECAC teams....

Should be a fun weekend, hopefully Maine can come out with more points than the mighty Cats!

Comment

• I read the latest BDN article put out by ol Larry and found it incredibly telling.

In a nutshell, Barr is calling out the upperclassmen to lead and get the job done if they want to win. Both Dawe & JSS essentially say they've never been pushed so hard before and that it's been a difficult transition. Me thinks Barr is going to usher in an entire new era of Maine hockey and there may be additional turnover after this season - and it'll be for the better.

Thoughts?

Comment

• I’m a big fan of “effort
            or sit”. I don’t care if they wear a letter on their jersey or if it might mean a loss.
            $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
            Just win.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbear96 View Post
              I read the latest BDN article put out by ol Larry and found it incredibly telling.

In a nutshell, Barr is calling out the upperclassmen to lead and get the job done if they want to win. Both Dawe & JSS essentially say they've never been pushed so hard before and that it's been a difficult transition. Me thinks Barr is going to usher in an entire new era of Maine hockey and there may be additional turnover after this season - and it'll be for the better.

Thoughts?
              Couldnt agree more and hopeful. Barrs philosophy and culture he is trying to get in place has my confidence. Barr brings energy, expectation and work demands this program hasnt seen in a loooong time. Turnover will be good for the program. Barr says all the time that whats to come isnt for all players and theres nothing wrong with moving on and looking for what fits best for the player.

Its telling because I think both Dawe and JSS are struggling this year in games.
              Last edited by NorthMike; 12-03-2021, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• I just read that the NCHC commissioner Josh Fenton is stepping down at the end of the season. Could Ralph potentially be a candidate? He was involved when the league was formed and I’m sure it would be a pay bump. I hope we don’t lose him cause he’s done a great job with Maine athletics but may be something to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Couldnt agree more and hopeful. Barrs philosophy and culture he is trying to get in place has my confidence. Barr brings energy, expectation and work demands this program hasnt seen in a loooong time. Turnover will be good for the program. Barr says all the time that whats to come isnt for all players and theres nothing wrong with moving on and looking for what fits best for the player.

Its telling because I think both Dawe and JSS are struggling this year in games.
                  Both those guys have to elevate their game, not only have they not put up the numbers, they’re not involved in the game the way they should be. They’re getting the ice time but they have both looked a little lost in the new system. Dawe has looked off since the opening weekend, he might be banged up. I think JSS is more of a system thing, he’s not the best skater so the transition style Maine is playing may not suit his game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbear96 View Post
                    I read the latest BDN article put out by ol Larry and found it incredibly telling.

Thoughts?
                    I think it's really hard to outwork other programs in the modern game. It might have worked back in the day but not as much now. The biggest thing Maine needs is to get everyone on the same page. It's tempting as a new coach to try to change everything straightaway but the good ones take their time.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I think it's really hard to outwork other programs in the modern game. It might have worked back in the day but not as much now. The biggest thing Maine needs is to get everyone on the same page. It's tempting as a new coach to try to change everything straightaway but the good ones take their time.
                      what coaches are you talking about?

Maine current staff has echoed that it is from an overnight fix from the horrific talent recruited for past decade (minus goalies).

Signing D men who can skate and break the puck out as opposed to slow, physical players that Red loved? Not a shock that every player Barr brought in since July is impact immediately.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackcurtis23 View Post

what coaches are you talking about?

Maine current staff has echoed that it is from an overnight fix from the horrific talent recruited for past decade (minus goalies).

Signing D men who can skate and break the puck out as opposed to slow, physical players that Red loved? Not a shock that every player Barr brought in since July is impact immediately.

Fergie was the one I had in mind.

I’m not saying Maine should be in the mix for the national championship, just want to see better than what we’ve seen so far. Just because Maine isn’t a top team doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be better than 2-10-1. And honestly the effort bothers me more than the record.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Well not working hard enough is a sure losing deal. Barr wants a harder working culture than what he took over. Barr has stated that hard work also means at practice, looking at film, preparing, working on skills, not just the game

Comment

• Looks like another loss on the way. Taking penalties in OT not wise.

Comment

• Did I predict it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackcurtis23 View Post

Perhaps "terrible" is harsh, but I'd argue that Vermont is the worst program in Hockey East.
                                Nope.

Comment

Working...
                                X